Want to use just only a dence foam for seat

Sandeep Jakhar

Hello , guy I've been working on my bajaj pulsar 220 to turn it up into a cafe racer and I want to use neoprene foam sheet for the seat but I'm worried about the comfort . I've got this inspiration from a Ducati pantah 350 by capelo's garage and wanted to use the same pattern of seat . If any one of you using the same foam for seat please help me and also give advise on how to shape it nicely.
Thanks

These two images is my project and I've just try to copy my inspiration
2385288f4231eb70e662c6744a48d404.jpg

c21726d58e8ca72b51cfd8d7dff1164d.jpg
ca16b25c854f1e584414d3827442a8d3.jpg

I had a really hard time finding good foam quality foam that wouldn't bottom out immediately. I found these guys in NC: https://www.sunmatecushions.com/
I bought the firm 2" sunmate and a pudgee 1/2" for the top on my cafe and it's the best seat I've ever had on a bike. They will ship you free samples to check out the foam as well. Just remember the foam is stiffer in larger sheets.

Also my advice if your going for that look it will never be comfortable with long rides because of the air spaces. It will create positive and negative pressure points that will more than likely cause blood flow issues in your ass.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

bomorr said:
I had a really hard time finding good foam quality foam that wouldn't bottom out immediately. I found these guys in NC: https://www.sunmatecushions.com/
I bought the firm 2" sunmate and a pudgee 1/2" for the top on my cafe and it's the best seat I've ever had on a bike. They will ship you free samples to check out the foam as well. Just remember the foam is stiffer in larger sheets.

Also my advice if your going for that look it will never be comfortable with long rides because of the air spaces. It will create positive and negative pressure points that will more than likely cause blood flow issues in your ass.

Thanks man

Sent from my Moto G (4) using DO THE TON mobile app

Sandeep Jakhar said:
What about little long rides

It would depend on a number of factors such as how much you weigh, how dense the foam is and how long you sit on it. Too many variables to be precise....probably a case of suck it and see. I

I reduced the thickness of a stock Honda seat by half and it's fine for short rides of less than 1 hour....not sure how it'd feel for longer periods, but that's not what I built it for.

Sandeep Jakhar said:
Thanks again bro , I am gonna go with the foam first and if it not fits to my need then I will make a good 2inch Cushing seat with some hexagonal stitched patterns .

Let me know how it goes, if you go with the split look first and it doesnt work out you can always use the 3M spray glue to glue them back together for a single piece pad.

I've used dense closed cell foam on my MB5 and love it. Definitely not soft but I don't mind it at all. Now this bike is no long distance bike so the longest I've ridden it at a time is probably an hour but had no issues. I'll be using it on my CB350 as well.

I used 1/2 inch foam and shaped it by sanding it, very easy to work with.

seatFoam_2_zps4f63e6b0.jpg

J-Rod10 said:
Industrial velcro is your friend.
I'll second that. I bought some military grade Velcro for another project and I can barely tear that seat off the pan. I recommend if you are going to go this route to try and get the good stuff that snaps together, it doesn't have the old fuzzy side. If you on a budget you can always get the old school kind with the fuzzy material on the one side but for me those always wear out too fast and collect leaves etc. if you have to pull it apart often

Back
Top Bottom