The little Ducati Featherweight

jag767 said:
Struck out! The cb77 rim doesn't work, I'm shelving the bigger drum for now. Just tires and I'm calling her done!

That's odd. Both drums are a similar diameter give or take a couple of mm. Which angles are wrong - side to side (different width hubs) or radial (different diameter)? Do MikesXS have an 18" rim to suit an XS1 or R5 hub? That might be close enough.

teazer said:
That's odd. Both drums are a similar diameter give or take a couple of mm. Which angles are wrong - side to side (different width hubs) or radial (different diameter)? Do MikesXS have an 18" rim to suit an XS1 or R5 hub? That might be close enough.

The holes are drilled at the complete wrong angle, every spoke is bowed. It's ok, one day I'll put excels on with stainless spokes, maybe for next year.

Interesting. One thing I do when matching a rim to a hub is to inset a couple of spokes into the bare rim with nipples and place that over the hub to see how far out they are. If they are far out it usually means that the rim was drilled to suit a much larger (or smaller) hub.

teazer said:
Interesting. One thing I do when matching a rim to a hub is to inset a couple of spokes into the bare rim with nipples and place that over the hub to see how far out they are. If they are far out it usually means that the rim was drilled to suit a much larger (or smaller) hub.

I couldn't see it til I trued it, but I won't chance it, just not worth it to me.

johnu said:
Sounds good to me, not too loud :)

Lol, as long as you keep it under 7k it's really not bad in the helmet, actually a beautiful sound. I usually have it between 4-6500, seems good for local riding. I lose track of my speed since I only have a tach, I just know I get out of the way of everything else on the road without a problem.

jag767 said:
Lol, as long as you keep it under 7k it's really not bad in the helmet, actually a beautiful sound. I usually have it between 4-6500, seems good for local riding. I lose track of my speed since I only have a tach, I just know I get out of the way of everything else on the road without a problem.
Tach only is perfect! I'm a 4stk single guy so I love the bark from that exhaust ;D I'm curious, what does it rev to?

johnu said:
Tach only is perfect! I'm a 4stk single guy so I love the bark from that exhaust ;D I'm curious, what does it rev to?

With the 22mm it's only useful to 8500. If I go to a 28mm it'll going over 10k, but then I sacrifice mid range and easier starting from being stopped.

Thanks, I have had that both powdered, and polished, I think I like it blue better. So I changed the tires today, Never did that myself before, but the guy I used to use is up to $65 a wheel, so efff that, I'll do my own from now on. Took about an hour to do the first one, just trying to be careful and not scratch anything. I ordered weights, going to balancing them myself as well, seems simple enough. The avon streetrunners appear to be nice tires, and fit the rims way better. I hope that translates to a better feel riding. Also, it's worth mentioning it's a radial vs the bias ply roadriders I had on there.

Changing tires is easy once you learn how to do it properly. You can cut out flat pieces of plastic from laundry soap bottles (or something similar) to protect the rim from scratching and use Windex to lube the rim and tire. I used to have a terrible time of it until I watched a few Youtube videos on changing tires and found that I was just doing it awkwardly. I just static balance and I have gone as fast as 275 km with no issues of balance.

Letting them cook in the sun for an hour is a great help, too. Last set I did I only had to use the spoons for the last 6" or so.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Changing tires is easy once you learn how to do it properly. You can cut out flat pieces of plastic from laundry soap bottles (or something similar) to protect the rim from scratching and use Windex to lube the rim and tire. I used to have a terrible time of it until I watched a few Youtube videos on changing tires and found that I was just doing it awkwardly. I just static balance and I have gone as fast as 275 km with no issues of balance.

I actually picked up a plastic set from motion pro to protect the rims, and a different looking set of spoons that worked extremely well. I just balanced them now. The rear was a pita, I got it very close, not perfect, and that took 30 mins. The front took like that 2 mins got it perfect on the first shot.

The roads are loaded with sand and snow, so I just went slowly around the block to take a victory lap haha,

advCo said:
Letting them cook in the sun for an hour is a great help, too. Last set I did I only had to use the spoons for the last 6" or so.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I read that! I used an indoor heater, made a big difference for the 2nd tire.

irk miller said:
I pay the shop and drink beer while I wait.

Lol, for $150 I'd rather keep my money. Even if it takes 3 hours it's worth my time. Any more than that and I'd likely agree with you.

Haha. I hear you. A buddy gave me a tire changer that he didn't have room for, so I need to start trying to do it myself again. I just got sick of pinching tubes and whatnot. I'm paying $35 a tire here, which includes disposal unless I get rim locks or other biz.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a pain in the ass, but I have 2 sets of wheels that need tires, and the $300 it would cost buys me the new riding jacket I need since I lost 70lbs.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
I'll try warmin the tires next time, good tip.

That with windex worked well. Doing it that way the 2nd rim took 20 mins total. I left it in froMt of a heater for a while, sun is likely way better.

Back
Top Bottom