FIRST BIKE EVER 1982 KZ440 LTD HELP ME!

Rupreck

Hey guys im new to the site here and just got this KZ440 ltd and im not sure what to do with it! i got it for free ive never had a bike before but im an auto mechanic so i have some knowledge of how shit works.. OK first things first! I HATE THIS FUCKEN SEAT! its gotta go! second this thing has been sitting since 92.. tell me what i need to do first again i need help guys! im on a budget so bafre with me.. i have ordered the service manual on ebay so thats comming.. anyways any links or anything that i need to know please help me out guys! im gunna attach some pics., its still at the place where the guy has it stored its got rust and corrosion all over it.. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1368.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 307
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    918.9 KB · Views: 298
Lol yea I have that lol! And WD40 few cans! Do u know any sites or people that are good to get parts for this bike?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

You can find a lot of information on KZ400.com. There may also be manuals and service bulletins available there that you can download. If you cannot find the specific manual for your bike then do some searching online - they are out there. As mentioned Z1Enterprises has a lot of stuff. Ebay will be your option for stuff they don't have. Dime City Cycles has some good stuff available once/if you get to modifying things (headlights and buckets, seats, seat hoops. guages, etc.). Kawasaki.com has parts diagrams - they are a bit hard to find though, I think they are under Owner's Center (or something like that). I'd recommend downloading each of them so you'll have them available. The KZRider.com forum probably has the most KZ400 enthusiasts and information available currently.

Luckily since it is an 82 you have factory electronic ignition. And fortunately for you it appears you have a chain rather than a belt drive.

The KZ400/440 is the epitome of a UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) so a lot of universal stuff will work on it, rather than needing specific KZ440 parts - things like ignition coils, master cylinders, clutch perch, shifters, etc.

I recommend not ditching the stock airbox and going to cheap pods (Emgo) as your first step. Get the bike running well with the stock carbs and airbox first and then if you want to make changes afterward then go ahead.

Best of luck to you.

1. Get it running. Actually running. Like how it ran when new.
2. Replace wear items as needed. Tires, chain/sprockets, electrical components, etc.
3. Ensure that all systems are functioning and the bike is road worthy.
4. Spend next summer riding the piss out if it in stock trim.
5. Spend the time you're not riding it next summer to lay out a solid plan for future customizations.
6. Ride it some more.
7. Learn (while riding it) how to keep it running and running RIGHT.
8. Wait for snow.
9. Assuming you've learned how to properly maintain the bike, and have set an achievable goal in regards to "making it your own" you can begin the process.
10. Take a good look at your plan and assume the actual endeavor will cost you 2x the alloted time and money.
11. Start a build thread here so folks can follow along and help when you need it (you will).
12. Spend the winter working in a haze of joy and frustration.
13. Keep at it. Force yourself to dedicate time every day if possible.
14. Make sure you have beer. Beer helps.
15. This is around the point where you'll hopefully think, "this is awesome".
16. Keep working.
17. Realize that it's now spring. You've spent all your money on bike parts and your non-moto friends think you have lost your mind.
18. Keep working.
19. You should be seeing the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.
20. Keep working.
21. When you think you're done, you're probably not. There's likely something wrong or forgotten. No matter how minor it may be it'll piss you off.
22. Keep working.
23. Finish that kick ass, one of a kind, built for you machine.
24. Realize that once it's "finished" it's not. You'll likely find something you want to change or that doesn't work 100% right in the real world.
25. Ride the damn thing. Every chance you get.
26. Be awesome.

What Von Yinzer said, other than point 14.
Should read 'a lot of beer'

Don't mess with the carburation system, those carbs need a reservoir of still air to work properly. Once running and road worthy, only make changes / do work that can be completed in a day, so the default state of the bike is always 'on the road'.

you guys rock! cool! yea i just got the bike to my house had to rent a uhaul and bike trailer and pick it up in hollywood where it was sitting.. im waiting for daylight to come up so i can start fuckin with the bike! yea no snow here for me buddy! lol and the only thing i really wanna change right away is the fucken lame ass seat! what should i do to get it running? its been sitting since 92..

Check the tank. It is possibly rusty and/or varnished up.
New fuel lines and rebuild the carbs.
Check for spark, oil level and valve clearance.

Do not get rid of the airbox. It will cost lots in jets to get it close to right with pods. ( which will never be right). I learned my lesson when I ditched the air box on mine. Never got it right. Switched to a single carb set up (cause I chucked the airbox) it runs good now but lost a little top end and about $500 between jets and the new set up.
dbb339c079eedebd0ce8419ebc038473.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using DO THE TON mobile app

Go to the kz400 forums and read up! I'm working on a kz550 and there's a lot of good info i hadnt seen anywhere else and service manuals.

Congrats, I am building a KZ550 right now, lucky it was barely running when I got it. order a carb bowl gaskets, drop the bowl and carb clean the f out of it, be careful not to bend the floats. Get a new fuel filter and put it in between the petcock and carbs, take a bunch of screws put the in the tank (after taking it off) and shake it up to remove the rust, unless it's really bad, you can buy a kit for like $100 that you pour in and seal the rust. once that is done or I bought a fuel bottle and use that hanging from the bars so the gas is clean. New battery (bought a gel so you can remount later at any angle) look at the coils under the tank, if either is cracked you need a new one. Use eBay (I work for them :) once it's running then go over the brake system, remove the dot fluid completly then fill and bleed. drive it around a bunch and make sure it's a runner before you waste money on anything else.

Attachments

• 20160517_122837.jpg
    20160517_122837.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 263
Plus you could take off the rack, remove the vinyl from the passenger area and roll it back, then chop the seat pan behind the driver seat and tuck the vinyl under and rivet. then you have a cheap single seat till you get some more bucks.

Best of luck man!
If you need any original parts, let me know! I just finished a kz400 build. If you want to lower it, i have a set of forks that are 1.5" shorter than yours! The later models were taller.

I'd be surprised if the motor isn't locked up after sitting for nearly 25 years.

As an auto mechanic you should probably know you'll be needing to replace just about everything rubber on it.

And everything else will need overhauling.

First thing to do is to find about about a title / how to register it in your state. Don't go spending money on something you may not be able to register.

It will probably be cheaper in the long run to start with a running bike.

Quigleyje said:
Do not get rid of the airbox. It will cost lots in jets to get it close to right with pods. ( which will never be right). I learned my lesson when I ditched the air box on mine. Never got it right. Switched to a single carb set up (cause I chucked the airbox) it runs good now but lost a little top end and about $500 between jets and the new set up.
dbb339c079eedebd0ce8419ebc038473.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using DO THE TON mobile app

The jetting issue has already been addressed.
Checkout the link below, page 12.

hillsy said:
I'd be surprised if the motor isn't locked up after sitting for nearly 25 years.

As an auto mechanic you should probably know you'll be needing to replace just about everything rubber on it.

And everything else will need overhauling.

First thing to do is to find about about a title / how to register it in your state. Don't go spending money on something you may not be able to register.

It will probably be cheaper in the long run to start with a running bike.

Registration is brutal in California. Take my word for it. I've bought bikes that were (out of the system) Bullshit! Every bike I took in was found in the system in about 20 seconds and some were north of $800 to sort out the paperwork. That's the first thing I'd do, is sort the paperwork. No sense in dropping big $ in this thing then find you can't get the paper right. Also, do you want all your $ going to paperwork and leaving you zilch for rebuild or way more $ in the bike than it's worth?

Quick story, bought a bike from the Peterson Museum, it had sat in their basement 20+ years. It took the DMV about 30 seconds to find it in the system, it was close to a grand to get the paperwork. Luckily I got the bike cheap with boxes of parts to make it right and made a small profit. A lot of states are a lot easier (I now live in N.M. and it's far easier) but 50+ years in Ca. and I know the DMV killed a lot of deals for me. Hey Bill, I have so & so car/bike sitting you need to buy. How long since it's been registered? Is always the first question.

1. Get all paperwork you can.
2. Have the previous owner write a bill of sale for $100, this is cheaper than the DMV deciding the value (free doesn't fly unless it's given to you by family).
3.Registration, sales tax and penalties could kill this project.
4. Now the paperwork sorted, put a new battery on the bike and try to fire. If it turns over, stop right there. Now the real work starts. You're a mechanic, and all mechanic processes apply. Air, fuel, spark. Check all systems, brakes, electrical, mechanical, suspension, etc. Apply your skills to anything that needs attention.
5. Once the bike is running properly, then make mods. Someone on here has a saying. Art is not finished, it's abandoned. Usually projects are finished when the $ runs out, so you have to figure out what this bike is worth to you. You may stop at DMV fees, or getting it running. Do you want $5k in a $2k bike? Is this going to be your passion? If not, part it out and pocket the $. I'd sit down and work out how feasible this bike is to restore. If this was a Vincent or early CB750 or other desirable bike, then the answers would be easier, but a KZ440? I've had several and loved them, but nobody is going to kick your door down and offer a truck load of $. A KZ440 will have to be a love child, a goal, a passion. Don't do mods that only appeal to you, unless you're going to keep it for life or realize you'll lose $.

Realities for a lot of these bikes is, you'll never see a profit (especially if you figure man hours), so you try to find a bike as complete as possible, with lots of saleable original parts to offset the cost of the build. If $ is tight or important, walk away. If the goal, passion is the point, get the paperwork sorted, get it running, then sit down and make a plan. Good luck, I hope things go as you plan.

Be patient, take lots of pics BEFORE and as you take it all apart. Categorize, bag and label all that you remove. I use old Margerine tubs. May seem lame, but it works. You may think you will remember, but you won't, trust me.
Don't take on too much too fast or you will get overwhelmed, frustrated and then it will sit for another 25...lol. I've done a few bikes now. Satisfy yourself first, not try to impress others. That's the beauty of a bike build/refurb.
I've been a licensed truck/diesel as well as car mech for over 25 years. The biggest thing I have learned and STILL learning is patience.

Sent from my E6653 using DO THE TON mobile app

So about the air box thing, I have converted my 82 440 to one carb and pods and it is so much more responsive, and I haven't rejetted anything

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

OK GUYS UPDATE
put on the carb after cleaning it and rebuidling it and guess WHAT! STA?RTED right up first try! its reving a bit high got it down to 2000 rpm what else should i be checking for?

Back
Top Bottom