front mud guard

Allaster3

Ello all.

Thanks for all your info so far however I have another question.

Who has been brave enough to try their bike without the front mud guard I want to remove mine but.... everyone seems to think it acts as a brace for forks.

Call me daft but I fail to see that this can strengthen it that much by the way it's fastened.

So... what's everyone's thoughts on this? Don't want to machine forks to totally remove it till I'm absolutely sure.

Thanks muchly

Allaster

I have been running without it, no problems so far.

If anything my forks weren't slightly off when it came out of the box anyhow.

This all depends on the bike in question.

On most bikes, the fender does in fact act as a brace, keeping the fork lowers travelling up and down together.

Consider the forces exerted on the axle ends in a corner. Then look at how the axle is mounted to the fork lowers. On many, it is a simple clamp designed to keep the axle from falling off, but it's not strong enough to counteract the forces of cornering.

Others can explain it much better than me, but bottom line is you need the fork lowers locked together to keep them travelling together. The axle is not enough on its own to do this.

Your fender mount is a thick steel U stamped for strength and bolted solidly to the forks. This combined with the axle keeps the two fork lowers connected and moving as one piece. The fender mount provides most of this structural connection.

Riding around town, sure, you're not going to notice it. But that additional rigidity and reduced ambiguity in handling while negotiating a tight corner may be the difference between you crossing the line into oncoming traffic and holding the corner and sneaking out of a bad situation.

Hi ho.

Sure I understand on a 200mph super bike being pushed to its limits on hard country roads every little bit counts but... on a little 125 being used for a steady cruise on an occasional Sunday ride out in the sun to get away from the kids and reality of life?

To be honest i won't even be doing more than 50ish across the moors for fish and chips then back and that will only be done on a nice sunny summers day and let's face it that doesn't happen too often in England (that also answers your question stroker).

With all the work done on it I have no intentions on riding it too often (I'm looking for a nice hard tail bobber as my main)

The bike was actually my dad's bike... he got cancer and sold it but the one who bought it only bought it as a favour. The bike came up in conversation when it was taken for MOT and he told everyone he didn't want it but couldn't sell it as it was my dad's until someone asked if he'd sell it to me.

I got a phone call asked what he wanted and I paid for it. I didn't even have my bike licence at the time.

After 3 months of it stood doing nothing not even being looked at I decided there was no point it being there unless I rode it. I'd never even wanted to ride a bike as I love my cars.

Now I'm into them a little which would make my dad happy as he always tried to persuade me to get into them.

It was fully sorted mechanically by him but the one who bought it keft it ouside for two years so it's been completely stripped, cleaned polished etc but as it goes back together I'm doing it as like them to look. And ride.

3 weeks of polishing to get it how I want it and not finished which means it's fair weather only.

I'll post pictures when it's done.

Thanks once again for your endless knowledge everyone.

Allaster

You don't think those forks are spindly enough? Let's take the only bracing you have off. I personally can't understand why somebody wants a design to throw all road debris directly on to your hard work. The fact that it's small is the reason you need something for a brace. I don't know if you don't like the look, or your fender is beat up. Maybe take this as a chance to design an abbreviated fender? Get the grinder out and shorten things up till it looks cool. Not trying to be a jerk, but you should run something up there. In some states it's mandatory. Maybe find a fork brace on E-bay. You don't have to push a bike to it's limit's to have something go wrong and bent forks suck....

I'm going to run a gauge across a mount and see exactly what the differential is a cross the forks with my riding style then make my mind up from there I think.

Thanks for the input I'm glad I asked as it nearly just got put in the box lol.

Allaster

Don't discard that guard!

The first time you get caught in a shower you won't be able to put it back fast enough.

And 25mm forks need any support they can get.

Ctazy

Back
Top Bottom