CB360 Clutch Issues

stoo

Hey guys,

Having some clutch related problems with my '76 CB360. Here's a little explanation...

So took it out this weekend and it was running/shifting fine then after about 15-20 mins of riding it at operating temp it started to get really hard to shift into first gear and near impossible to find neutral when coming to a stop. It was also super hard to shift out of first into second, I was having to ride out first gear much longer than usual and then really kick the bike into second then every gear after that felt fine. Then I came to a stop at an intersection and had the bike in first, since i couldnt get it into neutral, with the clutch pulled in and the bike started to move forward then all of the sudden it stalled out and so i pulled the clutch in to roll over to the side of the road and it wouldnt move, its like the clutch wasnt engaging properly. I pulled the clutch in again then finally managed to find neutral using my hand and proceeded to get off of the street. One factor that I'm assuming could be part of the issue is that my bike leaks a bit of oil, its either coming from the clutch pushrod seal or the shifter seal so I'm replacing those soon however does anyone know what is up with the clutch issue? I did adjust it a couple days prior to riding it so I'm hoping I might have just adjusted it wrong but figured I'd reach out to the forum and see if anyone could help me out.

Thanks in advance!

-Stu

Go over your procedure for adjusting the clutch and we can help tell if you did it right. Another important factor in shifting these is the oil you use. I shouldn't make shifting impossible, but it will make it harder to shift.

irk miller said:
Go over your procedure for adjusting the clutch and we can help tell if you did it right. Another important factor in shifting these is the oil you use. I shouldn't make shifting impossible, but it will make it harder to shift.

I used instructions provided by "Steve" aka "66Sprint"...

---------------

Put slack in the cable.... I recommend you "set" the threaded adjuster at the handlebar perch at about 1/2 way in....That way you have some adjustment left in either direction.
Cable bottom adjuster (at case cover): thread it ALL the way in so you have maximum slack inside......
With case cover off engine, VERIFY the #10 ball bearing is in place (grease it in)....
Loosen adjuster locknut on case and screw the slotted bolt FULLY CLOCKWISE until it stops (This is the maximum clearance point, "Arm" should be fully " down" as pulled by the spring).....
Replace cover and snug the Phillips head screws...... Tighten the slotted adjuster COUNTERCLOCKWISE (anti-clockwise) until you feel it start to apply pressure to the clutch (you actually feel the springs push back)... Turn it CLOCKWISE until the pressure JUST releases, Then 1/8 turn CCW, and snug the locknut......
Pull the clutch lever against the grip..... Tighten BOTTOM cable adjuster (out) until the lever JUST touches/closes at the perch.....Lock it in place......
Minor adjustments for desired lever "reach" and release points can now be done at the UPPER (perch) adjuster........

It took me longer to type this than it should take to adjust the clutch.........

Steve

--------------------

And as far as oil goes I'm running 10w-40

Thanks.

You should have a few mm of free play at the lever, before you feel it start to "squeeze" things.

Replace the oil.

Use Rotella t6 sythetic 5w-40 (blue bottle)

It may take a fair amount of riding before it washes whatever 10w40 has absorbed into the clutch discs.

Then I would change it again. To ensure its completely clean of any residual 10w-40. but thats just me.

Good luck

Also, pay close attention to speed/rpm relationship while riding over this summer.

Your clutch my be slipping like a mother f-er. Caused by the 10w40.

If you do wind up having to replace the discs be sure to install new Heavy duty springs for CB350 from Bore-tech.

Oh, and pre-soak new discs in the Rotella for 24 hours before installing them...and you can drill holes in the basket to make it "breathe" so to speak, easier. Search the mod.

Welcome to DTT. 8)

Back
Top Bottom