CB360 Wheels

cyglide

So my attempt at painting and using my stock 360 wheels was a fail. I sanded the chrome, primed, went sanded, and the primer was already flaking in areas around where the nipples sit. My guess is that I could have them blasted and powdercoated, but for the price of that I will probably be better off buying new wheels all together that don't have the pits and things the stockers do.

I ordered spoke kits from 4into1 so I already have those, but I'm wondering what rims to buy. MikesXS has some black rims in 1.85x18 and 2.15x18. I believe that these are a size up from the stock CB wheels, but can anyone confirm that these would work with my stock CB360 hubs and the spoke kits I have already bought? Also, what size tires would be good for these wheels? I'm thinking 100x90x18 front and 110x90x18 rear.

Any input is appreciated.

if cb360 is 36 spoke wheels, rather than the 40 spoke that the larger bikes are equipped with....the mikesxs wheels will work. they are a size up from stock, but that's really not a huge jump. Those tire sizes should work out great.

Negative! They are not an exact fit. The spoke holes are at a slightly different angle and it requires some filing to make them work. CrazyPJ did a good discussion on one of his threads. I laced a CB360 rear hub to one of Mike's rims with the same results. Note: Both CrazyPJ and I used drum brake hubs.

Here's what CrazyPJ said about using Mike's rims
" I used a CB350 front hub as the 360's I have are disc brake.
It's a perfect fit on front as the hub is about same diameter as XS rear.
I used a small chainsaw file to re-angle the holes very slightly on the rear.
I'm guessing you already looked at the pics in my build?
If you use disc hub you MUST re-angle the holes.
Used stock spokes on all the wheels I've built

Rider, Thanks for feedback. I will also be using drum hubs front a rear because that what was stock on this bike. Maybe it will be easier to have the stock rims blasted and powder coated. I have access to free powdercoating, but try not to use it to much because I don't want to be annoying always asking to have stuff powdercoated.

If I don't use stock rims, I want something that will be an exact bolt up and don't want to have to file on anything. Any other options that are somewhat cost effect besides mikes rims?

Is it too halfass to blast the chrome and then reattempt prime/paint on a better substrate? I know I would get real annoying asking for free powdercoat if it were me.

Supergyro said:
Is it too halfass to blast the chrome and then reattempt prime/paint on a better substrate? I know I would get real annoying asking for free powdercoat if it were me.

Yea, I just picked up my frame, swing arm, and kickstands 2 weeks ago from being blasted and powder coated, and I don't want an endless stream of parts going for coating.

I considered just having them blasted, but if I'm gonna go to that much trouble I'll just have them powder coated too.

I also can't seem to find any tires that will actually fit in a dual sport tire either. Looking for 90/90/18 for front and 100/90/18 rear..... Everywhere I checked no one has a dual sport in that size. I like the Shinko 705 but can't find one.

cyglide said:
Yea, I just picked up my frame, swing arm, and kickstands 2 weeks ago from being blasted and powder coated, and I don't want an endless stream of parts going for coating.

I considered just having them blasted, but if I'm gonna go to that much trouble I'll just have them powder coated too.

Ah, gotcha. I read it as you having access to a blaster, but if you have to send it out it sure doesn't make much sense to go part way.

I'm with you on the dual sport tires. I gotta burn down these street skins that I got free, but then I'm on the hunt as well. I'll keep an eye on your progress and alert you if I find any good candidates.

Well, I dropped the wheels off to get blasted and coated yesterday, along with the tripple tree. Might have them back this weekend but probably not. I'm moving in May, so I'm hoping to get the wheels/hubs reassembled so I have a roller before the move. Less chance of losing axle spacers and all that stuff.

I still have not had any luck finding tires. Not sure what to do except put some street tires on it until I can figure out a dual sport tire to use.

Found Shinko 244's in 3.0x18 for the front, and 3.5x18 for the rear. Got them ordered, and they weren't exactly what I wanted but should work well for the gravel and dirt roads that I plan to run this bike on quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom