Building an eopoxy Tank

2_DONE_THE_TON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hi guys!

I finally have time and thoughts to spend on my XS 750 cafe racer and I´m thinking of building a special tank for this build.
Since I´m not familiar with welding I wonderes if its possible for me to build my own custom epoxy tank?!

I read about the problems of epoxy and modern fuels...
anybody been down that road?
My approach would be building a styrofoam form and dissolving the styrofoam afterwards with acetone or similar.

Thanks in advance!

Dissolving foam is messier than you can imagine but it does give you a seam free tank.

Quality epoxy should be good to use; Caswell tank liner is an epoxy resin. Glassfibre is more difficult to wet out with epoxy.

Don't use polyester resin.

Crazy

Thanks crazy for the answer!

I would love to make a wooden form...already have experience working with epoxy and mats, made my RD race seat (TZ replica) which came out pretty nicely....A LOT OF SANDING however.
made a wooden form,layed mats and resin then cut it in half and layed mats again from the bottom...this will not work with the tank...

am I right that the epoxy resin itself will not withstand the ethanol in the fuel?
Lining the tank will of course be done, to protect it from the inside.

An epoxy tank lined with Caswell Dragon's Blood tank sealer should work for you.

The red colour of the sealer makes sure you don't miss any areas. If it's properly cured it will resist ethanol.

Crazy

How would you go about closing the cutting seam on top of the tank and epoxing in the Tank and petcock bung?

Ryan, check out this thread, I see this bike every year at Barber and the tank is holding up well. Chris rides the hell out of that bike too.

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=6339.0

Maritime said:
Ryan, check out this thread, I see this bike every year at Barber and the tank is holding up well. Chris rides the hell out of that bike too.

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=6339.0

LOL, I was about to post the exact same thing. He did have a problem with it after a couple years but can't remember the details of the issue. Ask him about it.

You're right Mike, I think he solved it. PM CCrider Ryan, he'll give you any help he can I am sure. There is another good build but I can't remember the thread title and the member hasn't been around much lately.

Check this one out, it took me a bit to remember who built it but I finally did.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=19771.0

Thanks guys!

Just checked out the thread!amazing work!completely immaculate...

I already have a plan what I want to do...I will use the base of my XS 750 tank as a "base plate" and then I will build my new tank on top of that.
Thinking about doing a "split tank" like the old bikes had with separate tank bungs and petcock bungs, which I would cut out of other steel tanks.

Really not planning on building something too big, it will be more an experiment slim and flat tank design, very streamlined and unpractical :)

Is there a certain epoxy resin and hardener I should use for the base...I guess the Caswell sealer is polyurethane?

cheers
and thanks!

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 824
Back
Top Bottom