Kawasaki KZ500/750 street tracker *** Finished bike pictures ***

stidds

Been Around the Block
So wanting to buid a street tracker but go along a route less travelled, so I purchased a 1980 Kawasaki KZ500B, however quickly decided I wanted more power so I shoe horned a KZ750 engine in the frame and combined that engine with a set of KZ1000 carbs, the engine was a tight fit but fit it did and it certainly looks lovely filling the frame.

This is the original bike with its new engine, so pretty much my starting point for this project.

eZoezgy.jpg

J8yCxww.jpg

I have started tearing the bike down, I have changed the standard 'square' tank to a KZ750 twin tank and have started removing the clutter from the frame (mounts that are no longer needed).

The biggest job that I will face is to have 19" wheels front and rear with large flat track tyres, so I have sourced two KZ1000 front wheels (19x2.15 size) that will happily hold the tyre width, however the main thing will be to mill a couple of spacers/adapters to enable the front wheel to accept a sprocket and rear disc. I have started with the conversion but have lots more work to do, it shouldn't be too big a problem though. I really wanted to keep the Kawasaki 7 spoke wheels on this bike and of course I could have saved myself a whole load of effort and money by using a standard 18 rear wheel, but where is the fun in that?

As you can see I have also changed the standard shocks to adjustable piggy back items.

lcFwXqC.jpg

2A2qrwe.jpg

Re: Kawasaki KZ500/750 street tracker

I also started today on making a subframe to accept the fibreglass flat track seat unit, it just needs a bit of fibreglassing now to finish the job off as I had to cut the seat unit to sit on the frame the way I want it to.

0WpgCk7.jpg

FuI3To9.jpg

quHzdip.jpg

qEkLdv1.jpg

fn0ZEIi.jpg

w4chTVx.jpg

F220Qe5.jpg

8d674XR.jpg

I am using the original forks as they are in lovely condition, I may have to lower them, but not sure yet. I have also machined down the original speedo drive to fit with the new KZ1000 front wheel and to space the wheel correctly in the forks.

kbJAQa2.jpg

Also started to fit the KZ750 tank, I will need to weld in a new petcock bung as the original is too close to the carbs, but that isn't too big a job.

wTaw0Za.jpg

tPjuA28.jpg

New front brake master cylinder, which is a lot smaller than the OEM, with matching clutch.

DrN1WqF.jpg

z5Mcpco.jpg

Next job is to design and build some adapters for the rear wheel to allow it to a sprocket and the orginal rear brake disc. It will be the first time I have machined something this big so wish me luck. Fortunately I will have my father-in-law helping me with the lathe work (he is a genuis, which helps LOL).

I will update the thread very soon with some updates.

Cracking along, nice project.

How will the rear sprocket cope with direct chain drive with no cushdrive? Or do you plan to incorporate some form of rubber dampener system? Interested... :)

NoRiders said:
Cracking along, nice project.

How will the rear sprocket cope with direct chain drive with no cushdrive? Or do you plan to incorporate some form of rubber dampener system? Interested... :)

I am looking at using something along the lines of Ducati cush drive rubbers/pins inserted inside the sprocket side hub adapter to give the damping, if they are good enough for a Ducati superbike, they are good enough for this bike.

You might check what rubber pieces carrozzeria uses in their fancy forged wheels. The cush drive on them has bolts with long heads that fit into the rubber, they run through the cush and the sprocket bolts on the other end.

http://www.allenmoore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ZRX_cz-bearings.jpg

Some updates to my build, I have been working on the exhaust and wiring etc, but took the bike out into the sun today to have a look at the stance of the bike.

8a4d66F.jpg

Bgv6yug.jpg

idHMddU.jpg

3D7iNip.jpg

HkSpe7o.jpg

Uk28rc3.jpg

Dz88awe.jpg

iV6rF7F.jpg

Nice work---what's your idea with the wiring? I am just starting on a Kawasaki 1100 and there is a LOT of wiring.

jsmith1107 said:
Nice work---what's your idea with the wiring? I am just starting on a Kawasaki 1100 and there is a LOT of wiring.

I have built a undertray for the rear subframe and I have attached brackets to it for the relays and fuse box etc, so this is where the loom will live.

I have taken the loom apart, so I can start tracing the wires to make sure everything goes where it should, I will put new connectors on and the use loom tape to tidy everything up.

canyoncarver said:
Looks great! What fork guards are those?

The fork guards are from Redmax Speed shop over here in the UK, they also supplied the seat unit.

http://www.redmax-ducati.co.uk/dirttrack-cafe--redmaxs-online-store.php#!/~/category/id=5793170&offset=0&sort=normal

Ryan Stecken said:
Hey man!may I ask what kind of tires you used?

The tyres are Mitas H18 flat track tyres, 130/80 19 on the front and 140/80 19 on the rear.

stidds said:
I have built a undertray for the rear subframe and I have attached brackets to it for the relays and fuse box etc, so this is where the loom will live.

I have taken the loom apart, so I can start tracing the wires to make sure everything goes where it should, I will put new connectors on and the use loom tape to tidy everything up.

So you are slimming down on the wiring then? I was looking at the amount of wires coming just out of the headlight and it is crazy not to mention all of those by the battery box!

Our KZs tho :) http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73758.0

Looking good!

It has been a while since I updated the pictures (and moved them to a different hosting site).

The rear wheel adapters have now been produced by the machine shop and incredibly beautiful they are too.

942Ejx3.jpg

5arz99k.jpg

4QgByUU.jpg

Here they are in place on the bike, I think they will work very well indeed.

dZfcFpV.jpg

ynpfQnb.jpg

u10p7ru.jpg

Tank in progress, well in primer actually.

e3hJOaD.jpg

Tank and seat unit sprayed in pearlescent Kawasaki green.

2e4BSBT.jpg

b80V80Z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom