CL360 Camshaft replacement?

I just snapped the threaded end off of my camshaft trying to install my Charlie's Place electronic ignition. First off I can't believe how easy it broke - practically zero force and it snapped clean.

Does anybody have recommendations on replacing, repairing etc? Not stoked on this soul killing mistake.

Helicoil. It's just a 10mm screw with 6mm threads and washer to act as a retainer. You should be able to get a M6 x 1 helicoil. Most common auto parts stores sell that size.

Damn. Yeah, you're buying a new cam. Sorry, man. Make sure, if you buy a used one on eBay, that it's not worn too much on the lobes and makes sure it doesn't have spalling.

tonguepressedatteeth said:
:'(

Any idea what the material is at the end of the shaft? It broke off so weird, doesn't seem like steel.
It's cast and machined hardened steel. It breaks that way because there is zero flex and it's case hardened.

Thanks for the info. How brutal. It's looking like these parts are not really available except for performance aftermarket stuff that requires new springs and pistons... so upwards of $700 to do the replace. I found a decent looking one on ebay for $200. Hope it works out.. also hope this doesn't become a weak point in the parts market going forward.

Because of the oiling issues with CB360s, there are lots of scorched heads out there. That makes the camshafts less common on the used market. You might want to call around to some boneyards first, if you have any near you.

http://bikeboneyard.com/honda.html

I would call and talk to Brenda, the website isn't always updated but they have a big inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Yeah, cheap. No wear on lobes, very minor pitting but as I understand most 350s/360s are going to have some pitting due to a manufacturing issue? Tiny tiny tiny pits. I don't think I can hope for much better. Can I get them filled?

You can have them reground, but it's not worth the effort unless they are beyond spec. It's pricey, too. I think Megacycle charges a few hundred to do it. A tiny bit of spalling shouldn't be a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom