Clear Coat Bubbling

jakeZ70

Been Around the Block
I recently re-painted my tank using spray bombs mixed at Napa, and I finished with Spray Max 2k clear coat. It looked fine for about a week, but then a couple of bubble spots appeared. One is near the front weld points of the tank, so it isn't very noticeable, and I don't care. The other is of course right in the middle of the tank, and is about the size of a dime. It doesn't seem to be growing, but it looks like it keeps filling up with gas. I assume the paint underneath is drying, releasing fumes, and filling the pocket. I been taking a pin to it, and squeezing the air out in hopes that it will stop, but it keeps filling up.
So the question is - will this spread, is there any way to stop it, what's the best way to deal with it, other than covering it with a Do the Ton sticker?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20170725_183059.jpg
    20170725_183059.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 721
Looks like you've got a pinhole in your tank. Coat the inside with Caswell or POR-15 and call it a day.

This didn't happen until I applied the new paint and clear coat. I had previously used lacquer, and that was unaffected. This is on the top of the tank, and the color doesn't seem to be affected, only the clear.

Regardless of when it happened, the answer is.....................

advCo said:
Looks like you've got a pinhole in your tank. Coat the inside with Caswell or POR-15 and call it a day.

Personally Im partial to POR15, and yes it will fill pinholes......as long as it truly is pin holes otherwise there is another procedure of its bigger than pin holes

Back
Top Bottom