Electrical..... HAAALP!!!

88SS

I had some gremlins in my stock harness (1980 Cb750f). Now I’m looking to make my own harness, because a tanked the budget. I want to simplify this mess, but I can’t find a simplified diagram. I’ll be running p/a ignition, and cycle x’s charging system. I’ve got those two sorted out, but I’m stumped on the rest.

Biggest issue I’m having right now are my switches. I bought a universal set from spark moto, and they didn’t come with any kind of diagram explaining which wire goes where. Sent several emails, and got one vague response. Needless to say I’m not pleased with that.

Trying to make my life easier. Any advice or info is appreciated. A simplified diagram for the essential items would be a homerun

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

index.php

Custom_Motorcycle_Wiring_Diagram_by_Evan_Fell.png

simple_wiring_diagram.jpg

88SS said:
Biggest issue I’m having right now are my switches. I bought a universal set from spark moto, and they didn’t come with any kind of diagram explaining which wire goes where. Sent several emails, and got one vague response. Needless to say I’m not pleased with that.

Which part was vague? I did say that all of the colors (except a few I specifically called out and detailed how to wire up) matched with the stock colors. Sorry I don't have a diagram for these.

Sonreir said:
Which part was vague? I did say that all of the colors (except a few I specifically called out and detailed how to wire up) matched with the stock colors. Sorry I don't have a diagram for these.

A few of them are the same color. That’s true, but there’s no way to tell which wires go to which switches? How am I supposed to wire them up? I don’t need directions I need a diagram. Great waste of 65 bucks, and a huge disappointment considering they are built well. Too bad

If there’s no diagram then how the hell do you know which wires go to which switches? Guess!? Or spend 500 on a “custom” harness so I can use them.

I got the bike wired up. Don’t worry. As for the universal switches, they’ll be up on eBay soon. Maybe I can cut my loss.

Post the switches up here before you hit eBay.
Most of the members here are smart enough to trace wires back to the individual switches to determine which one goes where.
The rest are smart enough to follow directions ;)

88SS said:
A few of them are the same color. That’s true, but there’s no way to tell which wires go to which switches? How am I supposed to wire them up? I don’t need directions I need a diagram. Great waste of 65 bucks, and a huge disappointment considering they are built well. Too bad

I am surprised that you can't trace wires back to the switch to work out which circuits they are. I'm no electrical engineer and if I didn't have a multimeter, I'd use a battery and 12v bulb from a tacho or similar or go to the local auto parts store and buy a circuit tester.

That basically is how most of us manage to fit switches form modern bikes, or universal switches onto our old bikes. It's pretty simple really.

BTW, do you have a Norton 600SS or does your screen name have some other connotation?

If the colours match the stock switches then the stock diagram is going to show you what leads where....

teazer said:
I am surprised that you can't trace wires back to the switch to work out which circuits they are. I'm no electrical engineer and if I didn't have a multimeter, I'd use a battery and 12v bulb from a tacho or similar or go to the local auto parts store and buy a circuit tester.

That basically is how most of us manage to fit switches form modern bikes, or universal switches onto our old bikes. It's pretty simple really.

BTW, do you have a Norton 600SS or does your screen name have some other connotation?

On the old clymer manual the bike is #88 and it’s an f super sport. I couldn’t come up with a user name, so I just punched in 88ss.

Brodie said:
If the colours match the stock switches then the stock diagram is going to show you what leads where....
The colors don’t match the stock switches. I couldn’t tell which wires were going where on the universal switches, and got frustrated with trying to figure it out.

I would think a diagram for the universal switches wouldn’t be too much to ask, but maybe I’m wrong. Either way, I’m not trying to spend a month wiring up switches I plan on changing out anyway.

The stock switches were dried out and corroded. I was hoping for a reasonable swap to get me through the summer, but now it’s too late. I’ve already re wired the whole bike to run no switches

Redbird said:
Post the switches up here before you hit eBay.
Most of the members here are smart enough to trace wires back to the individual switches to determine which one goes where.
The rest are smart enough to follow directions ;)

I’m smart enough to follow directions. The problem is there aren’t any directions. They did email me some directions, but perhaps my stock controls are wired different than the ones described. True, I did not take the time to put a multi meter on them.

Back
Top Bottom