EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch

Hi all,

had some extra time on the project last week and with some result :D The exhaust is FINALLY finished and on the bike.... what a nightmare to get the thing on the bike.

First made the clamps that hold the exhaust, then tacked the exhaust flanges on (only one point so that they can still move a bit), then mount the thing with the gaskets (and brute force), then tacked the flanges better in their real position on the engine. Get the thing of without bending or moving the flanges, then final welding and mount the damn thing for real ;D Pheeeew.

Started "wiring" the engine engine with all the sensors, electric harness and fuel system. Only thing that's not on the bike is the triggerwheel and RPM sensor. I'm waiting on some answers from ecotrons (really helpful so far) on how to mount them best and in which position.

Pictures:

Finished exhaust :)
IMAG0136.jpg

with "panigale" swirl in the back:
IMAG0133.jpg

And started the mess of putting all the electrics and fuel system on the bike ;)
IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

I also started to dig a bit deeper into the ProCall software that comes with the ECU. It reads all the sensor signals as it should and as a bonus it was way easier than expected. Below a smal clip of the software reading the Throttle Position Sensor. Works like a dream ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hZ9nog_M2_4

Not a real exciting video, but I'm happy that it works :D

Starting the engine will be early next year after the christmas holliday, looking forward for sure!

Best regards,

Loek

Loekm, Stellar work as we've become accustomed to, really good. From the pictures only I wonder if on the front cylinder I might have extended the tube (first off the head) about an inch or so before any bend then an angled straight run (eliminating the dogleg) down to the bottom horizontal tube. If this would clear the starter it could be a freer flow without the dogleg, and bit more simple with 5 fewer weld joints. I may also have made it easier to match length with the rear cylinder being that it may be about two inches shorter? Thanks for build this project, I always enjoy reading and watching. Will you cross drill the rotors?
I was the 21st viewer of your video, you've got a way to go to catch PSY and Gangnam Style.
Cheers, 50gary

It's looking really tidy Loek! (Ignoring the wiring for now)

It may have been more difficult to build the exhaust with that dogleg in the header, but I think it gives a better line design-wise than a straighter run.

Crazy

@50gary:
The exhaust is like this to have maximum clearance for the front wheel to do it's suspension travel, and handle the fork bending.... What you described would've been a bit easier bot not better flowing according to what I remember from education... Hot gasses flow very well through bends.
This is the exhaust you mentioned, isn't it?

1008_stcp_01_z+1981_yamaha_sr500+cover_spread.jpg

I really like the looks, but I tried to keep it all as compact and close together as possible, so that took some extra bends. But thanks for the comments again! By the way Gangnam style will be difficult to catch ;) but that's not the goal anyhow, first get this thing started.

Best regards,

Loek

Loekm, yes, that's what I was thinking, a bit more direct routing. You mentioned how difficult the final fitting was so my reasoning was it may have been easier with less weld joints and fewer bends. Regardless you have done a superlative job.
I think everyone following this build is as eager as you are to see and hear the bike finished all the best.
Cheers, 50gary

@50gary:

Ahaaa... mounting the exhaust with less bends and a less tight package would've been easier for sure. I never thought about it that way. I'll write it down in my "improvements for the next project" book ;) and it's getting quite a book for sure.
Abut the cross-drilled rotors.... I'm not sure yet. I know everybody did it back then. But I actually like the look of solid rotors, i'll think about it after painting them, we'll see how it looks then.

In the end some other brake system will be mounted for sure

Best regards,

Loek

Loekm, just a check in to see if the bike build is still on track or possibly on hold due to work etc? Hope all is well, missing your updates on your very interesting project.
Cheers, 50gary

Any updates on this one Loek? This has been one of my favorite threads to read and look over in the past, hope everything is going well and that you're just out enjoying putting the bike thru her paces instead of playing on the internet.

Hi all,

Updates..... long time ago. I almost forgot this topic :(

I saw my last update was november 2012... I should be ashamed. Only text for now, pictures will follow later.

The project had some setbacks last winter and spring. In general the ECU was giving problems. First with the settings in the tuning software, then the hardware. The first ECU went up in smoke for no reason.... Got a new "upgraded" one with bleutooth for communication. Problem again, it had different firmware than the old one (mine had custom firmware because of different method for RPM signal). Solved again and when I finally tried to start the engine it gave up again! send back again. Investigation by manufacturer.... got it back fixed. That's how far I got from the point of my last update.

Summary:
The bike hasn't started yet... and is almost in the same state as my last update. Only difference are working brakes. which is nice to have when it starts ;D

In the meantime I have been doing a small "side-project" for this build. I had a spare motor (with a blown head-gasket) lying around and decided to change that one into a slightly modified motor :) I got the cranck, barrels and pistons from an XV1100 motor, and now I'm building the best parts of the two motors together to end up with a well built, nice and shiny, high compression 1063 cc TR1 motor that can replace the stock one after the bike got it's license plate. You have to entertain yourself from time to time... isnt it? The heads will be ported, the cams reground, the compression upgraded and so on, we'll see how far we get.

Besides that I've been a supporter/mechanic with a local amateur classic endurance racing team on two races. It's this series: http://www.europeanclassicseries.eu/en Realy cool to see how serious the game is and the pace of the top teams is mindblowing. The top bikes develop almost double the horsepower they were meant to have back in the early eighties. And are raced for four hours!

And of course I drove my daily bike (CBR1000F) a lot through summer. So in the end the project is still alive and kicking and I hope to make bigger progress (worth posting here) soon

I'll trie and put some pictures on the forum asap!

Thanks for all your interest guys!

Best regards,

Loek

Loek,

good to hear the old gal is still on the boil.

Like yourself, my Vindicator Cafe Racer [ 60's style ] has been simply bubbling away on the back burner - although in my case due to a combo of a health scare [ again ! ] and lack of funds.

However, I often dip into yours and the other TR1 / XV build threads to give myself encouragement !

Can't wait to hear more on the 1063 !!

Hi all,

the spare engine is still being thought about :) dicisions, decisions.... So I picked up the EFI story again. The standard engine is in a seperate frame just for testing, and yesterday evening it would finaly "run" for the first time. Way to much fuel so it stopped, but it's close ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T6vaVLk-rHo

Try to keep you updated a bit more....

Best regards,

Loek

Phew, I can exhale, I've been holding my breath (figuratively) for nearly a year. Back on track, and the second engine will be a big upgrade. I've wondered if you would use the larger 1100 cylinders, good move, (there' no replacement for displacement) Plus I'd call it "1063" it's Ducati-esq. Your's and Johnu's (T-500 build) are my favorites on DTT. Thanks for the update.
Cheers, 50gary

Back
Top Bottom