1981 SR 250 shuts off when shifted out of neutral

GarnerSR250

I need some help. I am finishing up a scrambler style sr250 build. I got it out of the basement today and it fired right up. Unfortunately when I shift out of neutral it shuts off. I have tried adjusting the clutch cable, but it doesn't feel like it is shutting off because the clutch isn't pulled. It feels like it looses power.

I am not sure if it is related, but when the bike is not running, the headlight, signals, and gauges only work when the bike is in neutral also, I was hoping that this was a safety feature to indicate when the bike was in neutral for starting, but now i am doubting myself.

I did go to a power coated handlebar and powder coated the frame as part of the build. I have already sanded down the handle bar to get the starter button to work, but i am wondering if i have another bad ground somewhere.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 184
This thing shouldn’t have many “safety” mechanisms, but you never know.

Do you have the wiring diagram? Some bikes have a kill on the kickstand. Will shut off if in gear and the stand is down.

Does it just instantly shut off like with the kill switch? Or does it die when you try to ride away?

Thanks Tim. It does the same thing with the kickstand up or down. And yes, it shuts off instantly like you hit the kill switch. Here is a wiring diagram that I have been trying us to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 186
The "safety relay" was dodgy on mine when I bought it. I just bypassed it and have not had an issue since. Might be worth looking at. It is the little black box near the back of the tank. All I did was hook the two red wires together.

Back
Top Bottom