Is Dynatek DS1-3 right for CB450?

cardinal

Been Around the Block
Hey there, I am a level one newbie to electronics. I am rebuilding my 74 cb450 and wanted to get rid of the points. I had my motor built by a guy that sold me this Dynatek DS1-3 thing and on the install sheet it says it's for Honda GL1000's. I looked on their site, but there is no listed support for the CB450 (at least not that I found). Anyone here have experience with these things?

Attachments

• IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_6048.JPG
    IMG_6048.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG_6050.JPG
    IMG_6050.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 218
You are correct that Dynateck do not list any of our old bikes. But that doesn't mean that the ignition won't work. That ignition has teh same size mounting plate as a CB160, Cb175, CB450 and others.

What MAY or may not fit is the rotor. To fit it, remove the advance retard unit AKA Engine timing unit or whatever Honda calls it and take off the points cam. Slide the rotor on in place of that cam and engage the centrifugal weights. If you are lucky the rotor bore and length will match the shaft the points cam came off. If not you may need to machine something.

It's really that simple to fit. Then connect it and set the timing.

Seems I remember something about having to alter the backing plate to get the orientation right, but otherwise it's a direct fit.

Back
Top Bottom