Two-Stroke Collective - 'The Smoking Lounge'

You're up there Brad! Nice Hustler, by the way. Can't believe you got a period magazine with modification info! Managed to find some info for my Kwaka 100 but it was a PITA.

dcm - no worries, happy to help.

As for the patch, why not just whack a set of spannies in the middle of the spade? Or an oil can?

Hmmm....maybe replace the spade altogether with an oil can...

- boingk

Or a big ol expansion chamber...

ZXyamaha.jpg

I like the way you guys think!! ;D ;D ;D

A "2 stroke patch" would be a hit!! 8) 8)

Let's get one of you "creative types" to put some ideas together! 8)

Hey guys
Stoked on this site and this 2 smoker thread! I've messed around with mopeds for a while now and finally picked up a real stroker. Got a GT185. Super good shape. Really hyped on it! It's in it's beginning stages right now. I'm looking to tune the motor first and then match it's looks with performance later...
I'm on the lookout for some expansion chambers to fit to my bike.. Does anyone have any old ones laying around that'll suit for a smaller bore bike? I'd be glad to take them off your hands!

jeff

Hey there Jefffff, and welcome aboard. Good to see you've got the two-stroke fever!

The smaller strokers are a lot of fun to work on and aren't too hard to tune. Fix it up with a carb clean, new spark plugs and a decoke of the cylinder head and she'll be running like a champ.

Scrounge around and see if pipes off another bike will work. Motorcross pipes are generally a good bet for performance gains over stock items but may need some minor modifications to fit properly. They may also not have the looks you're after.

Cheers, and get a build thread going! - boingk

hey i wanna play too ;D ;D allways had a hard spot for Strokers ;),, i got a yamaha R5 for free, was rough no ownership but all there... picked up a rd350 rollin frame with ownership for 50$ ;D cafe in the works for sure.
just picked up a RZ350 in runnin condition ;) sorry, i cant help it i just get Urge was a smokin deal

intrudin said:
hey i wanna play too ;D ;D allways had a hard spot for Strokers ;),, i got a yamaha R5 for free, was rough no ownership but all there... picked up a rd350 rollin frame with ownership for 50$ ;D cafe in the works for sure.
just picked up a RZ350 in runnin condition ;) sorry, i cant help it i just get Urge was a smokin deal
Jim, I am pretty sure you don't need that RZ350 but I do have some spare real estate in my garage! C'mon... it will just distract you! I am willing to help you out on this one! C'mon... :D

Garage Guerrilla said:
Jim, I am pretty sure you don't need that RZ350 but I do have some spare real estate in my garage! C'mon... it will just distract you! I am willing to help you out on this one! C'mon... :D

yeah i need help ;D especially when the wife finds out ::)

Found a link to a timing calculator for piston port two stroke's.. Seems like it's pretty accurate and makes sense to me, although i've never measured timing before..
I'm trying to get cone dimensions for building expansion chambers for my bike and need my port timings to calculate them... and this link seemed easier than making a degree-counter-disk thing..

Anyone got any input on this link?? You think it's accurate??

http://modelenginenews.org/design/tcalc/TCalcForm.php?

You'll need port timings to reflect the tune of your engine with the pipe, but I'm not sure about building a pipe solely around the timing events. Also, you'll want to check this calculator out, its what I used to find out how suitable a Suzuki RM80 pipe would be for my Kawasaki KV100:

http://www.bevenyoung.com.au/pipe_dsn.zip

Click on the link and it'll start a small download, very easy to use program IMO. Just save it and then unzip it to your desktop and you're set.

To get timings, take the head off and move the flywheel until the piston it at its zenith (ie right at the top). Mark the top of the flywheel using a 90' set square and a marker, make an identical matching mark on the case so they line up when the piston is at its zenith.

Now, rotate the flywheel until the piston juuuust uncovers the exhaust port. Make another mark on the flywheel, lining up with the one you made on the case earlier. Measure the degrees between the two marks you've made on the flywheel and thats your exhaust port exposure after top dead center (ATDC) and closure before top dead center (BTDC).

Easy as pie.

Cheers - boingk

Easy enough for sure. Will this method work for my transfer ports as well?

When you say juuust uncovers the exhaust port, do you mean right when it's FULLY uncovered or just right when it peaks the top of the port???

Thanks for the help!

Transfer port timing can be done in this fashion also, yes.

When I say 'just uncovers', I mean just when the first tiny bit of the port is exposed. Thats when the gases start to flow out of the combustion chamber.

Cheers - boingk

Here's my T500 thread:

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=13949.0

Just getting started on it. ;D

Drewski said:
That Tim, he's the Best! ;D

He's the "anti-Noel"! Hahaha! :D

ehhhh... you know my thoughts about 2-strokes... especially Kawasaki tripples...(girl bikes....)... ;D ;D ;D

hehehe... ehh just kiddin... although.. i did just buy my 8yr daughter a 2-stroke... ;D

locO leoN said:
ehhhh... you know my thoughts about 2-strokes... especially Kawasaki tripples...(girl bikes....)... ;D ;D ;D

hehehe... ehh just kiddin... although.. i did just buy my 8yr daughter a 2-stroke... ;D
Yep, I picked up a PW80 for my eldest son (also 8) last fall... his younger brother (he's 5) inherited his old quad.

Back
Top Bottom