GOT a Zookie! "OVERKILL!"

Hoosier Daddy

Earache my eye...
Been posting every once in a while that one of my guys at work has a '80 Suzuki GS750L project he has lost intrest in. I been working him to let me know if he wants to sell it. Tonight he said he decided to give it up. I asked what he wants for it and he say's nothing... he needs to get rid of it for the space it's taking up and to come get it! He wants it gone in the next 3 weeks. 2 weeks from now we are shut down and it is prime time.
He says it runs, no title, extra tank and carb rack off from an 850 included. Needs cosmetics. :shock:
Little does he know the cosmetics I have in mind. If you've seen my past builds, they are basically removing stuff, custom seats ,and different bars, there is custom parts but nothing outragous. OK maybe the GoldWing is a little over the top but not like what I want to do to this bike.The no title is a hassle but not a show stopper here in Indiana if I get a bill of sale.

I dunno, but what I have seen of the "L" is screaming chopper.

1981_GS750GL_450.jpg

I really like the Brat style...

Pq1PDOEA.jpg

Here is a pic of a Bob job I like and seems too easy

But not a one is a hardtail or maybe a mono shock which is what I'm going for on this build... since it's free I'm going all the way!

Now the purpose of this post (other than braggin), Show me what you got, I'm wide open for suggestions!!!!

Re: Gettin a Zookie

Hoosier Daddy said:
2 weeks from now we are shut down and it is prime time.

Based on past experience I would pick it up immediately. Somebody is going to find out and offer him money.

Just a suggestion.

Congrats on the steal. I had an 82 gs850g. Couple of things I can tell you. The carbs from the 850 may be the same size physically, but I assure you there are some jetting differences. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know there are some differences. BUT--- They can fund other parts of your build, as they are NOT easy to find, in a complete rack. Go to GSResources dot com, and there is tons of reference material there. They won't like that you're gonna tear up a GS, but you'll find what you need there.

Once you get your tank and seat and rear bits off, take a good look at how that frame drops down for the seat area. It may play in your favor, since you're looking to go brat or bobber. The bike frame will tell you which direction is easiest, and most cost effective, with minimal cutting, modding or welding. (hey, maybe you wanna go that route.... I dunno)

Things I can tell you about the motor... It's very dependable, and parts are still available online. If you're gonna tear the motor out, just replace all your gaskets while you're at it. It will SUCK doing that after you get her all shiny and pretty. It's an easy motor to work on, too. Valves can be adjusted by just removing the top head cover, and doing it right on the bike. Exhausts.... Vance and Hines are available for that bike, still all over the web. Not much else, though... You might have to get creative. I used a Vance and Hines header and a Muzzy canister from a sport bike, with a small hanger bracket I fabbed out of flat stock aluminum. Whole thing cost lest than a hundred bucks, used.

Replace your brake lines. You'll be glad you did. Best upgrade you can do, getting better stopping power. This bike is a heavy beast!

Have a great time with your build. Make it yours, and ride the snot out of it!

loudest143

mitchellsk said:
Based on past experience I would pick it up immediately. Somebody is going to find out and offer him money.

Just a suggestion.
Heh heh... I'm his boss ;)

Thanks for the tips loudest143 That helps a lot.
And yes she is going to come all a part, I will get her to a rolling chasis and stand back and let the frame lines guide me :D
Brat, Bob, or Chop... oh my!

Oh yeah..... GSXR..... early 90s stuff... swinger and triple/forks. I'm pretty sure they're a hot swap. heh heh. Now you're mind is swirling with ideas...

Nabbed it! Bike and spares are sittin' in the shop.
I am off work for my "Use it or Loose it" vacation before the end of the year and he works 2nd shift so I called him today and got me a trailer load of project!! In order to keep the morals healthy, and I didn't want any hassles for accepting "gifts" from an employee, I gave him $50... he was thrilled ;)
Even the Wifey was happy it looked to be in better shape that the last ones I brought home! ;D

There is a factory service manual, second aibox, and in the box not only was the 850 carb set, but an extra set of 4 rubbers and a spare fuse harness!

Re: GOT a Zookie!

I got on the ball and made some headway. Today I got something worth posting. Having done a couple Hondas this is my first Suzuki. Naturally She’s been neglected but the engine does turn by hand, supposedly fired on Starting fluid when he got it, but the shifter is stuck in neutral.

Yesterday I spent a couple hours in the shop removing the body work and headlamp to get to the wiring and took several pics of the harness / components and familiarized myself with the layout.
Today we got down to business! I started disconnecting at the headlamp bucket and worked my way back with a roll of masking tape, box of Baggies and a fine Sharpie, bagging parts and labeling each connection. If you haven’t reassembled a bike a couple months or more after you took it apart, this is the best advice I can give!!! Also use the “Freezer Bags” as they have a nice place to write the contents on for future reference.
After getting the Rt/Lft controls, gauge cluster, and turn signals disconnected and removed. Here is the bundle left from the Headlight…

Then came the carbs (whew) Not as bad as an early GoldWing but reading the carb page here sure helped! One of the PO’s didn’t bother tightening the clamps on the center 2 boots at the air box and the boot was wrinkled on #3... wonder how well she ran?

Next came the, coils, other small bits from the main harness, and then took the panel for the fusebox, Reg/Rect, solenoid off as an assembly.

I did learn a few things on the way. The reason it didn’t shift was the shaft was seized in the cover, found that when I pulled the chain. A liberal amount of PB Blaster and a little light heat and a couple whacks with the soft-faced mallet and we are golden. When I pulled the exhaust, I also discovered She has a 16 valve head! ;D
Finally, I got to the point of accomplishing the big goal for the day. With the Floor jack, wood blocks and a Dolly I made up a while back, here is where we sit tonight… Not bad for an afternoon’s work!!!

16 valves, huh? And you're gonna make a bobber out of it? Sounds like a racing motor to me. Either way, I wanna see where this goes.

Yeah, that does kinda mix up my thoughts a little on what direction to take. A Buddy has been trying to talk me into making it my first Dragbike... but I do like them curves! ;)

This is awsome, I would so love to have your shop! I love how a bike can be stripped to bare bones in one afternoon, then re aseembled in about the same time after you clean and fix and modify everything!

Cheers, be watching this one.

i 3rd the brat style! clean lines and still would be able to carve up then corners. but sense its a shafty be carfull. they tend to want to buck on the shaft side. freaks yea out the first time but you should be alright.

Thanks Maritime! You know, the shop is starting to not be so "open" but the garage is getting organized for the first time. Fair tarade I guess.

leedutcher said:
i 3rd the brat style! clean lines and still would be able to carve up then corners. but sense its a shafty be carfull. they tend to want to buck on the shaft side. freaks yea out the first time but you should be alright.
No shaft here, she's got a chain. Learning more about the Zooks, mines a GS750L. "L" is a Cruiser style. Shaft drive models had a "G" after the engine size, regaurdless of the style of bike... so if it were a Shafty Cruiser it would be GS750GL.
Internet's a wonderful thing! ;)

going to be a very cool build man. i am a big fan of the brat style mainly cause it allows you to pop a lady on the back and rip!~

I might hit you up for p/c pricing on some parts of this one Joe. Lots of surface rust on some of the chrome bits that I need to keep.

Attachments

• PC Quote.jpg
    PC Quote.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 435

Had an 8-valve 850G, loved that bike but never got it legal enough to ride. The few times I did ride it were diagnostic, and I can tell you that one of these things set up will absolutely haul ass. The 16v motors are different though, and have a real kick from about 7k upwards. If I recall correctly they are still making good power until about 1,000rpm past redline... they truely do have a brilliant topend.

I'll definitely be interested to see how you go with this and what direction you take. I'm seriously still in awe that they made the 'cutsom' L models, as it (in my opinion) really doesn't suit the power characteristics of the engine.

Oh yeah, good jetting point for pods and a 4-1 system saw me with mains up to 137.5 from original 115's. I would probably have dialed the air jets down to one size smaller than stock as well but sold it before I got a chance. That was with an 850 8-valver though, so figure that in when going to work on your 750 16-valver.

Anywho, all the best - boingk

I know exactly what you mean about the "L". Seems odd to have this engine in a Cruiser. As mentioned I did get a spare carb rack that is supposed to be off an 850. I plan on opening them up and see what the jetting actually is on those. Maybe they would be a better starting point for pods and a header when the time comes.
Please keep tabs on this thread boingk. I have been searching out "Suzuki" threads here and your name keeps popping up ;)
Can really use your experiance later on I am sure.

Another good time in the shop today, after a couple hours I have it down to a bare frame. Now comes all the inspection, clean-up, sorting of what I want to keep or sell to finance the build. Then the painting and polishing of the keepers.... Good times ahead!

Boxes-O-Bike!

Honestly all that rust visible from the beginning appears to be only on the surfaces. Inside she seems quite nice. Everything still well lubed and came apart fairly well.
But all that aluminum is so damn corroded she is going to need a lot of scotchbrite, 4-ought steel-wool, and polishing.

Hard to see now in the shop lighting but these fork lowers need the same level of attention. Fortunatly, after the "Bomber" build, I had a grease zert installed in my elbow and I got a couple months until painting weather here.

Back
Top Bottom