a change of topic from the hottie thing

M

miss alliekat

some pics from the 59 club run and speed weekend in Brighton

hawkgurl said:
nice pics, brighton where is that excatly?

On the south coast.
That is where all the Rockers used to ride too on their cafer racers on the eve of the UK Bankers Holidays to Rumble with the Mods on the beaches.
Hense the famous "Banker Holiday Rumbles" of the 50's & 60's... forever captured in the song "Rumble in Brighton Tonight" by the Stray Cats

locOleoN said:
On the south coast.
That is where all the Rockers used to ride too on their cafer racers on the eve of the UK Bankers Holidays to Rumble with the Mods on the beaches.
Hense the famous "Banker Holiday Rumbles" of the 50's & 60's... forever captured in the song "Rumble in Brighton Tonight" by the Stray Cats

There's a man who did his research.

I'd recommend watching "Quadrophenia". Filmed in England, and uses The Who's "Quadrophenia" soundtrack it's about the mods and rockers in the 60's. From what I'm told by my significantly older english friends, the movie is pretty realistic and very reflective of the time.

hawkgurl said:
cool, id have to check that out. I doubt blockbuster or rogers would have that?
Actually .. it's a classic. They might.

Gangs of mods and rockers fighting in 1964 sparked a moral panic about British youths, and the two groups were seen as folk devils. The rockers adopted a macho biker gang image, wearing clothes such as black leather jackets. The mods adopted a pose of scooter-driving sophistication, wearing suits and other cleancut outfits. By late 1966, the two subcultures had faded from public view and media attention turned to two new emerging youth subcultures - the hippies and the skinheads.

Rockers, wearing leather jackets and riding heavy motorcycles, poured scorn on the mods, who wore suits and rode scooters. The rockers considered mods to be weedy, effeminate snobs. Mods saw rockers as out of touch, oafish and grubby. Mods were usually city dwellers, whereas rockers tended to be more rural. Mods sometimes held down office jobs, whereas rockers were often manual workers (although there were many exceptions in both groups). Musically, there was not much common ground; with the rockers clinging to 1950s rock and roll, mostly by white American artists such as Elvis Presley, Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran. Mods generally favoured 1960s rhythm and blues, soul and ska by black American and Jamaican musicians, although many of them also liked British R&B/beat groups such as The Who, The Small Faces and The Yardbirds. Fights occurred where territories overlapped or rival factions happened upon each other. Mods sometimes sewed fish hooks into the backs of their lapels to shred the fingers of assailants. Weapons were often in evidence; coshes and flick knives being favoured.

Second Battle of Hastings (1964)
The conflict came to a head on the south coast of England, where Londoners head for seaside resorts on Bank Holidays. In 1964, thousands of mods descended upon Margate, Broadstairs and Brighton to find that an inordinately large number of rockers had made the same holiday plans. Within a short time, marauding gangs of mods and rockers were openly fighting, often using pieces of deckchairs. The worst violence was at Brighton, where fights lasted two days and moved along the coast to Hastings and back; hence the Second Battle of Hastings tag. A small number of rockers were isolated on Brighton beach where they – despite being protected by police – were overwhelmed and assaulted by mods. Eventually calm was restored and a judge levied heavy fines, describing those arrested as Sawdust Caesars.

So ya see??!!... Im not just another pretty face on a sexy body!!.. LOL!!.. (was referring to my bike)

Scarcat said:
Actually .. it's a classic. They might.

I also believe the fights Noel is talking about are visualized in this film.

Just checked ... Blockbusters doesn't carry it.
Rogers in Toronto does ... at the following locations:
Toronto: 1084 Yonge st. (416) 515-7109
Toronto: 730 Danforth Avenue (416) 406-3441

Enjoy and eat lots of popcorn.

Scarcat said:
I also believe the fights Noel is talking about are visualized in this film.

Just checked ... Blockbusters doesn't carry it.
Rogers in Toronto does ... at the following locations:
Toronto: 1084 Yonge st. (416) 515-7109
Toronto: 730 Danforth Avenue (416) 406-3441

Enjoy and eat lots of popcorn.

It also happened again in the early eighies on a smaller scale, being a goth/punk bike riding weirdo in those days some people i knew had some nasty scrapes and it tended to be between the bikers/punks and the mods/ two tones, i even got chased by mods on scooters!!!! i had a 500f and sidecar at the time!!! it scared me but even my sidecar was faster than a scooter luckily. i hadnt done anything just looked weird and in painted leather with a crash helmet probably did look very colurful. The skin head girls and punk girls alongside the mod girls also used to get very nasty at times. Very tribal times, and you needed to pick a side and identity, safety in a group especially in a small consevative english town. Most pubs wouldnt let you in if you rode a bike or if you werent societies acceptable norm.

Hey!!.. Cool... Lets see some pics of you scapping it out with some punk chicks!!!.. :eek:

ahh, i see, well i listen to julio iglesias and wear argyle socks....where do i belong?! lol!

dayum, it's like the bloods and the crips eh! baaah, this "us vs them" mentality....

crazy tho, at least they were "decent" fights? and no gunshotas i'd imagine...?

well, nowadays, what's left are poseurs, squids, stunta's, track junkies, and RUBs... (rich urban bikers...) but at least we all pretty much get along....

thanks for the background info guys!

Nice ! I used to hang out there on weekends (no, not gay...) when I was working in Crawley. I was on the boxhill forum and often see the guys meetup at boxhill for a run to Brighton. Good shopping, fun fair at the pier, Harry Ramsdens...oh memories...

lemme see if I can dig up a pic or 2 from Brighton...

http://www.flickr.com/gp/22977005@N00/aox035

Yellowducky said:
Nice ! I used to hang out there on weekends (no, not gay...) when I was working in Crawley. I was on the boxhill forum and often see the guys meetup at boxhill for a run to Brighton. Good shopping, fun fair at the pier, Harry Ramsdens...oh memories...

lemme see if I can dig up a pic or 2 from Brighton...

http://www.flickr.com/gp/22977005@N00/aox035

Nice pics man!!... Wow, it true what the chicks say about you!!... an International Man of Mystery!!.. LOL!!..

noel left out a small detail of mod culture when not in suits and bollords on saturday nights they wore mainly army surplus with ripped coats and knee high boots, also mods would add rediculas ammounts of mirrors and lights to there vespa and lambreata scooters. and the royal air force roundel was the mods icon symbol they wore where rockers had ace's

locOleoN said:
Nice pics man!!... Wow, it true what the chicks say about you!!... an International Man of Mystery!!.. LOL!!..

I am no mystery...this on the other hand, is mystery...

http://www.flickr.com/gp/22977005@N00/r6R2F2

locOleoN said:

i know eh?! man, yellowducky even got you beat Noel!! he's like the asian 007!

Back
Top Bottom