CB450 Café Racer Build. IT'S A ROLLER

Re: CB450 Café Racer Build. FIRST TIME BUILDER

So I am stuck at work dreaming about working on my bike but I cant :'( so I am doodling, haha. Hopefully I can have some real updates for you soon. Enjoy. :D

5413926499_70ffb30f57_z.jpg

Nice mockup... has a certain something about it. If thats the direction you want to go in then I reckon it'll look great!

Have you got anything particular in mind re style or engine modifications?

Cheers - boingk

boingk said:
Nice mockup... has a certain something about it. If thats the direction you want to go in then I reckon it'll look great!

Have you got anything particular in mind re style or engine modifications?

Cheers - boingk

Yep, I am hoping to get pretty close to the mockup. I am not going to do much to the engine besides new gaskets it is really good shape but I am going to run velocity stacks and a custome exhaust so there will need to be some tweaking in the carbs.

UPDATE:

So I have just been polishing away, it is taking longer than I though and is starting to drive me nuts, :eek: . I am getting there slowly my wife has graciously let me commandeer the kitchen table for my polish station, thanks Babe haha.
5431683878_8b90c78092_b.jpg

I did find a Steam Cleaner at a pawn shop for $35 (great deal) and it has been a life saver in cleaning the engine. I got of work at 4:00 yesterday and headed strait over to the shop and started the cleaning on the engine, I was there till midnight but I got it done.
5431076493_697ce14480_b.jpg

5431076235_1fec9551b4_b.jpg

5431076379_2c0fbd30ed_b.jpg

So I have a request, both the Alternator Covers that I have are crap one has a hole in it and the other has a huge dent in it. I have looked on "evilbay" and could not find one, is there anyone out there that has one that is in good shape that they would be willing to let go?
Thanks all,
JR.
5431076729_a3cba321d1_b.jpg

I haven't looked it up yet, but have you checked cmsnl.com and bikebandit.com?

If they don't have it, and you can't find it on eBay, call Western Hills Honda in Ohio (I think). They have a vintage parts desk. I had no complaints from my one transaction with them thus far.

I've seen them pop up from time to time. Patience grasshopper.

IndieSol said:
I haven't looked it up yet, but have you checked cmsnl.com and bikebandit.com?

If they don't have it, and you can't find it on eBay, call Western Hills Honda in Ohio (I think). They have a vintage parts desk. I had no complaints from my one transaction with them thus far.

I took a look at cmsnl.com and bikebandit.com and they both dont carrie that part any more. Western Hills Honda has them for $28=$10shipping, $40 seems kinda steep, am I wrong?

Re: CB450 Café Racer Build. slow going.........

Same simple part for my Suzuki is 75 drinking vouchers plus shipping. $40 for a new part is a steal.

Or take a mold off that and make one out of carbon fiber. If you have to buy all the materials it wll cost more than $40 though.

I used JB Weld like bondo to fill in the Honda logo on my alt cover and painted with engine paint. Works good.

CC

$40 is cheap. Old beat up ones on EBay will set ya back that much if not more... Also look in the "selling" section here. I believe theres a member parting out a 450.

Thanks guys, you're right, at that price I think I am going to pick up the alternator cover. I have plans to polish it and paint the text the same color as the frame.

So I have made up my mind to rebuild the engine after all. I think that it would be the smart thing as I have the bike all torn down already and I would hate to do all this cleaning and polishing only to find that I do have a leak somewhere :-\ . so with that decision I have started looking for a "complete gasket set", one that would take care of everything in the engine at once. Do any of you have a good source for that?
Here are the two sites I have found so far:
http://www.speedmotoco.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=608%2D0152
http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
Are either of these going to do the trick or am I going to be disappointed?

JR

I don't remember where I got my gasket kit from. Someone on ebay probably. Ask DCC. They rebuild 450s and may have some kits. Be aware though that most of the kits do not come with the valve seals and you should replace those if you are going to be removing the cams/valves. They also don't come with the cam chain damper rings which should be replaced if you are going to be removing the cams/valves.

That speedmotoco kit looks to be a fair price and says it has the valve seals.

Flugtechnik said:
I don't remember where I got my gasket kit from. Someone on ebay probably. Ask DCC. They rebuild 450s and may have some kits. Be aware though that most of the kits do not come with the valve seals and you should replace those if you are going to be removing the cams/valves. They also don't come with the cam chain damper rings which should be replaced if you are going to be removing the cams/valves.

That speedmotoco kit looks to be a fair price and says it has the valve seals.

Yeah, I just sent Herm a email, Their kit shows valve seals in the pics and it is a really good price. Are they pretty quick getting back to you? I need to get the kit soon so I can start puting things back together.

JR

Okay all, so I have been sitting around at work doodling. I decided that I really like the Norton logo, it is an elegant and timeless design. But problem being I am not building a Norton I am building a Honda. So I have made a logo that I am thinking of using on the bike. Opinions?
5448740383_797d4c855c_b.jpg

JR

71cb450 said:
Just stole it! thanks for the helmet logo :p

I can give you the Illustrator file if you want then you can make it as big as you want.
I love the way this looks personally

JR

increase the size of the Zero on the back of the seat..it looks a little off..

$40? Nice. I found one for my 360 on ebay for $50 including shipping and I almost bought it just because I thought it was a good deal. I still think about it, so I probably should have.

Back
Top Bottom