Combining regulator/rectifier units

Eric P

Well, I finally decided it's time to start from scratch and rewire my GT380. The stock harness has tangles of wire all balled up in the headlight, and I have to hunt down a couple of electrical gremlins.

Anyway, I've been wanting to get rid of this rusty rectifier for a while. I figured now would be the time to switch it out and clean up this mess. Is it possible to replace the regulator and rectifier with one unit? It seems like it shouldn't be too hard, but I'm having trouble figuring out the wiring in my head. ???

Here is a link to the original wiring diagram:
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/suzi/models/G380wd.gif

I get that the yellow wires from the alternator will go to the yellow wires on the R/R and that the red wire on the R/R goes to the battery.

Is the green wire on the R/R a ground wire, or is it just grounded through the mounting bolts? Why do only some R/Rs have a black wire... and what does that wire go to? I also have a dark green wire coming out of my alternator that currently goes to the regulator. Where should this wire go if I switch to a combined unit? Can anyone tell me what wires I need to make sure a R/R has before I buy one for my bike?

Sorry for all the questions, but this electrical stuff is grouped next to sticking pins into dolls in my brain. It just doesn't make much sense to me. Thanks a ton.

Eric

Theres a bunch of different reg/rec units you could use. Just depends on the wiring harness and what your end plan is. Are you keeping all of your electricals (starter, signals, gauges, etc)? What reg/rec unit you decide on will determine what wires go where as well. Different manufacturers use different colors. Like how on most bikes, black is ground, but on old Hondas, green is ground. Whatever unit you choose, you'll need the wiring diagram for whatever bike it was meant for and will have to match it to the stock diagram.

Do you know what the RR came off?
If it's a Honda unit it should also have a black control wire (senses battery voltage when ignition is on)
Suzuki use B/W for ground wire, Honda uses green ground with black being 12v live with ign on
If you get that wrong, the magic smoke will probably leak out ;)

There are two designs of alternator - one has a permanent magnet rotor and the other has an electromagnet and the regulator designs are very different. IIRC a GT380 has the same system as the larger triples and that's an electromagnet type. You can order a combined unit from Anthony Weeks at Oregon motorcycle parts and it will be wired up as a plug n play.

Back
Top Bottom