CB250 Superdream 1979 CDI conversion to Kick Start Only

Bedrock9

Hi there, any help or experience greatly appreciated.

I'm building a bit of a custom CB250 which currently has a kick start and startermotor, I want to reduce as much weight as possible and convert it to kickstart only and believe it's fairly complicated electrically because of the CDI.

Does anyone know a lot about this issue as I have read quite a few conflicting ideas.

Also I would like to keep front and rear lights and power these directly from the alternator which I assume is possible and get rid of the battery altogether?

Thanks in advance.

Removing the starter shouldn't be an issue at all. If you want to see how the bike reacts to having no starter, just unplug it and try to kick over the engine. The CDI system shouldn't have any influence on your starter electrical circuit.

As far as removing the battery that may be tricky. Depending on where you live, part of the safety check before licensing your bike may involve having your lights turned on while your bike isn't running for a specific period of time. I've seen very small batteries installed that can accomplish this but are easily small enough to hide just about anywhere.

Best bet is to look up a wiring diagram for your bike (if possible) and trace all the starter wires to their respective locations. Should have one going to the battery and a few going to the ignition and possibly a few other places.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom