Charging System Upgrade Questions

ben2go

Two Wheel Projectile
Suzuki GS500 bikes have a weak charging system.The system can barely cover the drain of the bike electrics.I know changing the lights to LEDs will help free up some power that is already there.There is a thread on GS twins where it's stated that up grading from a shunt style regulator rectifier to a mosfet style will help take some load off the system.Is this true?Will the new style RR free up some watts?I have to admit that I don't under stand the newer style RRs.

Stators,I know electrosport claims there stators put out more than the factory replacements,but I haven't found that to be the case.They seem to be about equal to the stock GS stator.I can't find an upgrade.IS there a company out there that does custom wound stators?

I want to be able to charge my cell phone and run a GPS on my up coming trip.I'd also like to run a mini compressor in case I get a flat and need to air up a tire.

If you search around on the GSResources, they have compiled a large list of modern r/r's. Granted, they are for earlier Suzuki's, but there is a LOT of info in their threads. Have you swapped anything over to LED yet?

There is another place for stators.......has the word Oregon in the name.......

Big Rich said:
If you search around on the GSResources, they have compiled a large list of modern r/r's. Granted, they are for earlier Suzuki's, but there is a LOT of info in their threads. Have you swapped anything over to LED yet?

There is another place for stators.......has the word Oregon in the name.......

Thanks Rich.I stayed up late and found some good info on the superhawk forums.I'll check GS forums too.

http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/knowledge-base-40/mosfet-regulator-rectifiers-why-how-25117/

The Electrosport stator, with matching regulator, works really well on my GS450. Solved my chronic low battery problems. I upgraded the stock 35W/50W headlight with dual 55W/65W headlights, fed through relays to avoid running that load through the handlebar controls. That lighting setup cooked the original stator. When I installed the Electrosport stator, I also installed their matching regulator, which was three times the size of the stock regulator. Really solved my charging system problems. I like to use heated gear in the winter. I haven't tried that yet.

Back
Top Bottom