77 XS 400 Runs Great Except For ..........

USMCRIDER

Looking for someone who may have had this problem or could tell me where to start first. My XS is mostly stock except for electronic ignition and clubmans.

After warmed up and riding about 20 minutes at full speed, when I turn on my turn signal the bike will actually die for a brief moment. As far as I can remember it has only done it at highway speed and RPM's. It's like everything shuts down, but only for one second or so and it comes right back.

Anybody familiar with what this might possibly be or what I should start checking or changing out first?

Sounds like an electrical short somewhere in your turn signal power wire (between the signal switch and the bulb).

Did you just put the clubmans on? How about the ignition? Are you sure it isn't fuel? Check battery condition and battery connections. Ignition kill switch wire pinched or loose connectors? Do the signals work good/normal when this happens?

Yeah just put the clubmans on, and I don't recall it doing it before I did that. But nothing is pinched or anything that I can see. Positive its not fuel. It's almost instant when I flick the turn signal, but doesn't do it everytime. Seems like it has to build up to it, after running for a little while at highway speed. Right after it does it, it won't immediately do it again. It can be kinda random. Battery is not very old and it's never weak when I start the bike. I checked all the grounds that I could see. I do need to check the connectors better. About the signals, at idle, the side selected sometimes will stay on until I give it a little rev and it will go back to blinking. It also doesn't do this everytime but does it a pretty good bit. I may try to put up a video of it doing this.

It sounds as if the current draw is just a little too high when you flick the switch. I'd start by checking battery voltage when its running at idle, 3k and say 5k to see that the voltage is going up and plateauing at 14-14.5v. If it's slightly low, that may be the issue. You could also try fitting LED blinkers and suitable relay.

I think I found my problem! But typing on here is too damn slow due to one of these graphics to the left making my typing lag and it's annoying! Anybody else having this problem?

By the way, pretty sure it's my fuse box. I'll go into detail later when this annoying lag goes away. It's not my computer because it only does it on here when trying to type replies.

Back
Top Bottom