www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Down under, an idiot and a 400F  (Read 451168 times)

Offline bikeboy

• a cb900 tragic
Re: Down under, an idiot and a 400F
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2011, 16:44:06 »
Legend! What about tapered bearings for the head stem? Or do I need to buy a kit for that?

AllBalls do a kit, but I don't have the part number off-hand. Should be easy to find.

ian

Offline neevo

• The blog of my custom CB400F build
Down under, an idiot and a 400F
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:59:34 »
Question about the wheel bearings. Kits on eBay have seals although I didn't pull any out. Is this extra protection and do you sacrifice bearing width to accommodate them?

That website listing bearings didn't list seals. Have seals on my enduro bike but assume those bearings take much more of a hammering vs a fine weather road bike.

See the condensed version of my full build on my blog!

Offline hillsy

« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:41:39 »
Go with sealed bearings. It's "new" technology and they'll outlast your bike.

Offline neevo

« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2011, 15:20:10 »
Go with sealed bearings. It's "new" technology and they'll outlast your bike.

Planned to anyway. My bearing place has a good selection of Nachi etc at great pricing. Pop the lip and pack a bit more high quality grease in there and they last ages.

Offline neevo

« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2011, 03:37:21 »
Tore into the forks the last couple of nights, could not for the life of me get the bottom 6mm hex head bolt out :(

In the end managed to persuade the missus to let me have a go on my christmas present early, only if I promised to use it this one time, then put it away. Yellow thing in the front:

Wow these things are good. 1 leg bearly sniffed resistance, the other took a fair hammering but gave up in the end.

Now need to get my fork legs rolled as they are slightly bent at the lower triple clamp.

Offline MotorbikeBruno

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Carb cleaning in MN
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2011, 13:05:21 »
Nice man!  Gotta love an early X-mas present for sure!  (is it wrapped back up yet?  :D

Offline neevo

« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2011, 17:47:33 »
Nice man!  Gotta love an early X-mas present for sure!  (is it wrapped back up yet?  :D)

Yep :(

Offline neevo

« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:00:56 »
More to report from this evenings endeavors. This bike was always going to have knee cut outs, I love the look but didn't have the budget to buy one of Benjie's tanks.

Why should I when I got a perfectly good tank with the bike? It needed a clean out as I could hear crap rattling around in it, well one more reason to get the grinder out.

Here's the pieces:

Cut the tank back to the frame on the rear with sweeping lines out about half way:

Struggled to visualize what the end result would look like so after some extra trimming I mocked it up with some paper:

When I was looking at it I quite liked the contours of the bottom following the tunnel, but not too sure now I am looking at the pictures. Easy fix either way, can fab up an overhang when I weld in a new piece if required.

1 issue I didn't think about, I have cut out the drain for the petcock. Not the end of the world as I do prefer the look, what options do I have for fuel? I was thinking of running 2 copper lines from the front of the tank, flush with the bottom of the tank, 1 with a reserve pipe, 1 without and a remote tap near the rear of the tank for each. What's peoples thoughts?

Here's some pics:

The old tap placement:

Also I have a air tool coming that accepts sandpaper and grinder bits. What's the best attachment for tidying up the sharp edges on the tank?

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:25:18 »
More to report from this evenings endeavors. This bike was always going to have knee cut outs, I love the look but didn't have the budget to buy one of Benjie's tanks.

Why should I when I got a perfectly good tank with the bike? It needed a clean out as I could hear crap rattling around in it, well one more reason to get the grinder out.

Here's the pieces:

Cut the tank back to the frame on the rear with sweeping lines out about half way:

Struggled to visualize what the end result would look like so after some extra trimming I mocked it up with some paper:

When I was looking at it I quite liked the contours of the bottom following the tunnel, but not too sure now I am looking at the pictures. Easy fix either way, can fab up an overhang when I weld in a new piece if required.

1 issue I didn't think about, I have cut out the drain for the petcock. Not the end of the world as I do prefer the look, what options do I have for fuel? I was thinking of running 2 copper lines from the front of the tank, flush with the bottom of the tank, 1 with a reserve pipe, 1 without and a remote tap near the rear of the tank for each. What's peoples thoughts?

Here's some pics:

The old tap placement:

Also I have a air tool coming that accepts sandpaper and grinder bits. What's the best attachment for tidying up the sharp edges on the tank?

Following this one neevo as that was the only bike I ever bought new in my life !

Sweet machine and well ahead of it's time. When I got the bug again, I realised that my increasing bulk in the intervening years would not be fair on the little chap - so with 7000 miles on the clock I passed it on to a friend and went for bigger things [ capacity wise ].

A couple of things from reading your thread through - the "kink" in the rear fork tube IS meant to be there ! Personally I use a linishing disc for thin "tin".

I too have had to go down the DIY route with the tank for my Yamaha TR1. Not because of cost [ well an alloy one WAS out of the question at 500 ! ], but lack af a suitable alternate.

Pacomotors in the US has made one using a Duke [ ?? ] outer shell, but I was looking for an AJS 7R 6 gallon style - the so called "TT" tank.

The tunnel on the stock Yam is HUGE, so I decided to make an outer shell only as a dummy to cover the stock tank. I'm also building 3 replicas for friends, so we needed to be able to duplicate the tank easilly.

I went down exactly the same route as you with the paper / card plant ons to guage the effect. Yours looks the biz BTW. One thing I found helpful was to make the card plant ons the same colour as the tank - gives you a better impression of the finished article.

That's my task for the next few days - fettling the tank shape, before final surfacing ready for the moulds to be taken.

Keep the pix coming, this will be one sweet machine.
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline neevo

« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:34:09 »
Thanks beachcomber! Good to know about the kink in the rear frame support. Did some mockups and worked out its a 7 degree bend, just seeing if anyone here in Sydney can bend me a bit of 1" 16g to replace that section. At the same time seeing if they can do the rear hoop.

Good idea re the colored paper, might pop out and get some black stiff card on the weekend so I can mock it up properly and also create some templates.

Any idea what gauge steel the tank uses?