cb200t - getting rid of starter and solenoid. questions.

sbaugz

DTT BOTM winner
So, I am getting rid of the starter and solenoid on my 75 c200t, and am still using a battery with kick only start. I have read and re-read over the wiring diagram multiple times and was looking for some guidance.

So there are four wires coming off the starter solenoid:

1) heavy gauge red wire that goes directly to battery positive terminal

2) heavy gauge black wire that goes to starter

3) small gauge yellow and red one that goes to starter button switch

4) small gauge black wire that goes to who knows where ( I have since forgotten where this goes)- Its got a short 6 inch long segment of wire coming off starter with a washer type ending on it - kinda like a ground

what confuses me is that the wiring diagram shows that there are supposed to be 2 additional wires (6 total) coming off starter solenoid. (a red one that goes to ignition and a red/white one that goes to rectifier). I am not seeing these 2 additional connections. Also, the wiring diagram says that the small gauge black one listed above (number 4) above is supposed to go to the blinker relay.

So basically I am confused as to how to proceed to get rid of the starter solenoid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just remove it and throw it under the bench with the starter motor so you can sell them with the bike.

4 leads are

Power from the battery (thick)
Power to the starter (thick)
Ground
Power from the starter button.

Not too hard to work out. It's a relay and uses a small amount of power on one circuit to close heavy duty contacts to allow high current to flow on the other circuit.

There should be a red or red/white on the battery terminal of solenoid.
Find it, it puts power to fuse then ignition switch
The battery lead may be fitted backwards and thin red/white could be at battery end?

Good point PJ. SI that one of those bikes where the main feed comes from the solenoid rather than straight from the battery?

There are two wires that come off positive battery terminal (both narrow wires). They are both fused. One is solid red and goes to ignition. THe other is red and white and goes to rectifier. Neither of those tie into solenoid directly.

In that case you can remove solenoid and all related components.
I never did much work on CB200, other than normal servicing and re-build cable calipers, (frequently ::) ) nothing else went wrong with them
You will need to remove generator cover and take out drive chain and sprocket if you remove starter motor

crazypj said:
In that case you can remove solenoid and all related components.
I never did much work on CB200, other than normal servicing and re-build cable calipers, (frequently ::) ) nothing else went wrong with them
You will need to remove generator cover and take out drive chain and sprocket if you remove starter motor

already have the starter and drive chain/ sprocket out of there. Filled the starter hole with a $4 freeze plug from advance auto parts.
So, you say above to just remove the solenoid and all related components. What do I do with the free connections that results from removing solenoid? More specifically, I am referring to the wire that comes from ignition and the wire that comes from starter button? Do I just tape them off?

That's easiest. I remove wire and starter button from switch as well (if I'm not changing switches)

Back
Top Bottom