Battery relocation question from another noob

Manox

Hi guys, loving the forum! Just finished stripping a Honda cb125s (my first bike Finally at 28) in prep to rebuild it as a mini cafe.
Question is I want to relocate the battery and swap it for a smaller unit to go in a tray under the seat pan. I've searched high and low and read many threads but can find a definitive answer/guide.
Which way, battery and method is the best? I'm not a complete noob to mechanics as have worked on bicycles for years and fairly handy with cars too, so hoping this project will use both of those.
Your knowledge and advice are much appreciated!
Cheers, Andy

First thing... Is that model a 6 or 12 volt system? If its 6v, convert it to 12. It will save you a ton of hassle. After converting, you'll need a gel or sealed battery. Next step would be to determine what all you'll be using on the finished bike, electronics wise. Just headlight/taillight? Turn signals? Gauges (there are lights in them as well). You'll need to figure out how much room you have to place it in as well. Once you have the dimentions, and specs you can start your search. Another space saving option is to run a capacitor. As long as you have a low enough draw that is.

Yeah it's a 6v battery. Will be running lights and indicators. It's a kickstart so no starter. Obv want to keep it cheap as poss. Anyone have any recommendations on battery and how to convert to 12v? Many thanks for your feedback!

My new battery versus my old. I have a cb750 with just h/l and T/L. Of course I already updated the charging system. But now I hid it under my seat between the frame rails.
2dc1789b.jpg

64df05c7.jpg

dc8dff87.jpg

how much are those 4cell batteries and what is the amp hour or output rating..
joe

I've found a 6v 4.5 amp sealed battery, would this be a straight swap? Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm still learning and really appreciate the advice!

Manox said:
I've found a 6v 4.5 amp sealed battery, would this be a straight swap? Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm still learning and really appreciate the advice!

What's the amp hour on the original battery?

StrtLegal said:
My new battery versus my old. I have a cb750 with just h/l and T/L. Of course I already updated the charging system. But now I hid it under my seat between the frame rails.
2dc1789b.jpg

64df05c7.jpg

dc8dff87.jpg

Got a ruler or something similar for scale? That looks damn small! I know a few blokes that I ride enduro with that have used them on their bikes. Not cheap but equivilent power in a tiny package.

Forgive my limited knowledge on this, but how did you update the charging system? This looks like the route I'll take. Many thanks!

There are a couple write ups on here describing how to do it. Im on my phone, so I cant link them, sorry.

VonYinzer said:
There are a couple write ups on here describing how to do it. Im on my phone, so I cant link them, sorry.
Don't suppose you know the thread title do you? Also on my phone haha.
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom