緑のドラゴン KZ750

m357.5

TURBO KAWI
Hey guy's been awhile, figured I'd share what I've been upto. Life has been quite hectic but its gettin back to normal now. Lots of cool stuff goin on here at DTT as of late....lots of new names, and glad to see the regulars still here. Good to be back :)

She started out as a nonrunner/parts bike, engine seized up. Its a 1983 KZ750L frame, and I'm using a KZ750E engine. Anyway here the details of the build and a few pic's as she sits now. I'll update as I get further along. It will be Black with Green/White accents, I call her the Green Dragon...緑のドラゴン

Body Work:

KZ750L tank
Carbon front fender
TZ750 ductail
Custom seatpan/seat

Front end:

2005 ZX6R forks
Custom upper triple ( 2+" drop ) with custom stem to mate them the KZ
Yamaha R1 clipons
CRG barend mirrors
GSXR radial master, ZX6R clutch perch
Tokico radial calipers, 10mm spacers, EBC pads
320mm wave rotors
Ducati sport classic hub, laced with Ducati spokes
Wheel is a 17x3.5 Behr SM ano'd black

Rear end:

ZR550 Zephyr swingarm, modified sleve to accept 16mm swingarm bolt
Ohlins rear shock ( Ducati 900SS )
CBR929 Nissin caliper, and hanger, modified to accept brake stay arm
Custom brake stay ( with hiem )
CBR929 master
KTM cushdrive hub laced to Behr 17x4.5 black ano'd wheel

Frame:

Detabed/luged
Cut off rear frame section
Custom 1" tube subframe, adjustable hight by hiem joints
Aftermarket adjustable rearsets, ano'd black

Engine:

BS34 Mikunis, pods, jetted 122.5 mains 3rd clip on needle, and stock pilots
Muzzy stainless header, custom link pipe, GP style muffler
KZ750L3 electronic ignition
Dyna coils and leads

Gauges/lighting:

Koso DB-01R speedo/tach
HID projector Hi/Lo headlight with angel eye
DRC Edge11 LED tail light, smoked
Rear DRC LED signals, smoked
Front Oberon Bar End signals, LED

How it was when I started

93d65d054ac3771f9c2a27f92fd9f988.jpg

How she sits now

progress2004.jpg

Oh here is my battery tray, started out as an oil pan, seemed to fit so went with it.

progress2001.jpg

progress2002.jpg

A few pics to bring the build a bit upto date.

How it was sitting at a friends house a month ago.

SlowprogressKZCafe003.jpg

After I stripped it down and started hackin off the rear section. This was done at the same friends place, I was in the middle of moving into our new house.

hacked001.jpg

Pic's of the Ducati Sport Classic 1000 front hub when it arrived, and lacing it to the Behr SM rim.

AhtheHUB001.jpg

Lacingthewheel004.jpg

Lacingthewheel008.jpg

The disks

rotors007.jpg

New wheel spacers and the new wheel set into the forks.

rotors008-1.jpg

Some of the bits going on.

900SS Ohlins shock, Titanium caliper bolts and disk bolts in the pic too.

progress002.jpg

Adjustable rearsets

progress004.jpg

Oil006.jpg

Zephyr ZR550 swingarm, CBR929 caliper/hanger, new brake stay arm, KTM hub/wheel....I'll be fabbin up a top truss/shock mount, picked up a spool gun for my Miller 180 and bought the aluminum already.

progress005.jpg

Nice!!!! This should be bad ass!! I didnt know you have been a member over here. Be watching this thing for sure. The oil pan batery box looks awsome.

Yep been a member here since 09. Life has been hectic so havent posted or been here much as of late. Glad to be back.

Hows things coming with the KR250 tribute bike ? Looking forward to updates on it.

bike looks awesome as i have a kz750 also. wish there were more on here but to me your bikes is far from being in the cafe racer section.

That belly pan idea is pure gold/platinum/diamond whatever you want to call it. Looks great there. I'll definitely be watching this build!

Great stuff, I would really like to see more photos of the sub-frame and how it adjust. This is a cool concept.

GoingsMoto said:
Great stuff, I would really like to see more photos of the sub-frame and how it adjust. This is a cool concept.

.120 wall 1" tube for the main subframe, threaded inserts made to slide inside tube snug. Lower tube must not be fixed/welded on either end, has to be bolted to prevent binding when adjusting hight.

Subframe011.jpg

Subframe016.jpg

modifiedamerican said:
bike looks awesome as i have a kz750 also. wish there were more on here but to me your bikes is far from being in the cafe racer section.

True, not a CLASSIC cafe in the true sense. More of a modern rendition similar to Squirrly's H1 or various other builds here using modern components. My design goals are focused more towards late 70's endurance racers or the fantastic Bimotas of the period such as the KB1 or the HB1 etc. without using the perimeter frame of course.

I'd love to do a conventional front end with mechanical antidive and external dampening hoses like found on KR500 GP bikes rode by Kork Ballington. Maybe once I get this one finished I'll start on modding a set of forks to emulate the KR's. I'd love to find a Harris chassis to do but hey I'm just a poor boy.

Cut off the tack welds and repositioned the upper subframe mounts to follow the lower tubes angle. Much happier with the look now.

Started mounting the battery tray, ended up building the bracket so it was hidden internaly. I'll be adding gussets to the tray lid, for strength as well as for mounting some of the electrics. Welded up the subframe and its attachment points on the frame last night too. Next on the list is the shock mounting. Hope to have some time over the weekend to get at it.

Internal mount for the tray, started out welding 2 tabs onto the subframe. Here is the start of it.

Tail001.jpg

Tail002.jpg

Tail005.jpg

And a few of the tabs welded up on the frame.

Tail007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom