Motorcycle stereos?

Deviant1

Over 1,000 Posts
I got a 1984 goldwing last weekend and the stereo is absolute shit. It's a thirty watt cassette fm turd. The reception is shit even though the bike has these huge dual whip antennas. So I'm wondering if I can get a decent stereo hooked up with the stock charging system.

Well most stereos run 12 volt so that shouldn't be a problem as the stock charge system is probably set up to run ancillary items. I'd look at boat stereos as they're surely built to be just a little waterproof. You'd think...

You know what's better than a stereo? An exhaust so loud you can't hear a stereo.

All this to say, NAKED WING.

Ya Alex. Although I am admittedly 100% against stereos, cup warmers (like on my bosses HD), and the like on bike Staffys right. Any radio designed for a boat that fits should do the trick.

I've thought about pulling the fairing and I may, but I'd have to leave the trunk as my wife likes the incorporated backrest and arm rests. Shit if it were just for me I'd strip it down to a single seat Cruz missile. I'm just wondering if a modern higher wattage system will be too much for my thirty year old charging system. I'm thinking of going to l.e.d. wherever possible to reduce drag on the electrical system. What I've been looking at is these small headunits like one of the old xm add-ons way back, they come with two sPeakers that I could mount in factory holes and a small hundred watt amp. They run about a hundred bucks shipped...

These things tow trailers which include lighting on them, sometimes even fridges fitted into the damn trailers! All this run off the stock system...

I know anything will work but most modern head units put out over 100 watts and have full LCD backlit faceplates. The unit in my Goldwing only throws thirty watts with no back light and a dial for tuning. I'm wondering if the added power will kill my battery and/or charging system

Ah, but online I see people doing alternator conversions on these things that are no small cost.

I don't even know that I'll retain a stereo on the bike, but if I do, I want it to drown out the Toby Keith that the douche on the Electra glide next to me is pumping out. Stereos on motorcycles altogether doesn't quite jive with me. I need to talk to my wife about it, since this bike is for her comfort. If it's not a big deal then I'll probably ditch it. I know I'll never use it when she's not riding. I'm still trying to get used to the idea of not taking all of that plastic crap off of this bike. It runs counter to my instinct.

Yup - Sena SMH10 Bluetooth helmet setup. Works with your phone and iPods for audio over Bluetooth, or plugged in.

Back
Top Bottom