CB350, homemade.

Here are some more recent shots as well, after getting started blasting my frame, and cleaning up the garage.

Hot full frontal.

Sides

Pile o' parts

Bucket o' goodies

Soon, my pretties, you will be one again!

Super simple, homemade blasting cabinet

2' x 2' x 4' box, grand total, ~$50 in materials and parts. (Not including air compressor, blaster gun, or grit) Fits the frame, but only just! Can't quite reach it all at once, but it'll get the job done. Shop vac as dust control, Milwaukee battery torch as light source. 30" x 18" window.

Don't forget if you have CB360 forks to swap with the 350's, you'll also need 360 trees and 360 spacers for the front axle to make everything bolt up.

You know I gotta weigh in on this. Personally, I like the first one better. In my eyes it's more Cafe style. The sort of low profile, only have em because I have to look, which I think looks sick. Plus like the way it looks better.

On the other hand, the ability to have any design tail light is pretty darn cool. I can't give to in depth advice/opinion because I don't know what the over all thematic of the bike is going to be, but if you did go with a unique taillight I think it should only be done supplement the bike as a whole rather than just being this one random super custom feature.

Whats your experience with fiberglass? I like that first design more and more as I look at it. Would it be possible to have you make one for me? We have similar bikes, so framing shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Fox, I kinda agree with you, I really like the subtle looks of the bullet lights. It will probably be easier to make happen too. This is my first experience with fiberglass, but I'm pretty handy, so I'm not too worried. Might be a bit longer before I get to find out, too, as I just found out yesterday that we're going to 50+ hour weeks at work for the next month or so. Big project due date coming up. Not gonna lie, I wasn't really too excited about figuring out how to make the mold to bend the acrylic around anyway!

I'm subscribed.

You're pretty creative man! I like the bullet looks much better myself. I've been trying to figure how to recess them so that from the side it looks like to channels in the hump and no visible lights, kinda like the front headlights on the '70s 240z. I'll send you those Solidworks models as soon as I get to my laptop that they are on. I also got the MH900 models from Grabcad.com

Yeah, I could have done that, but figured I'd let them stick out a bit so that they're visible from the side. I suppose there would be some glow on the channel either way, but this will probably look just fine. Besides, if they were recessed that far, no one would be able to tell that they were bullet shaped at all! The tank has taken a bit longer to design, but I think I made some good headway this weekend. If only I had a machine shop available to make custom parts with!

Haha! Heard that on the machine shop. I think that's every Garage builder's dream. You could always just convert your garage into one...

Haha, it is taking a lot of willpower to not go out and buy a mini-mill and lathe! Maybe once I get further along on these dang loans...

I hear ya. Well, you may not have a full out machine shop, but at least you've got a garage! My bike is literally furniture right now.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have progress!

I got the seat mold basically finished, frame sandblasted, a start on the tank mold, and best of all, my first order of PARTS came in!

In progress seat mold.

How she looks on the frame.

All covered in foil and mounted, ready to glass.

I ended up shortening it by two inches, because it just looked way too long, and there would be sliding room.

Sandblasted frame, and the start of my tank mold.

The influx of parts begins!

Gauges, engine gaskets, fork seals, and fork boots. Unfortunately I have to send the speedo back because I was a bonehead and ordered the wrong one.

And FINALLY:

Renders.

Tank:

If I charged normal engineering rate, this tank would be over $500-1000 just in modeling time, haha.

This is what I'm thinking so far for the triple tree.

Not sure about the front. My idea is to set the gauges in the two large holes, but I'm not sure I like the look. I'm thinking about chopping the front off and just have it be semi-circles that they would sit in.

Opinions? Thoughts? Comments?

Do you use Solidworks? I like that triple top because it has a 'brass knuckle' type look to it. That chamfer that you added around the top edge is what really make a milled aluminum piece *pop*. Great work.

That I do. At first I didn't like what I had so far because it just didn't seem to flow/looked flowery, but then I saw the brass knuckle influence and decided it wasn't so bad. 8) The 3 holes to the rear of the gauges are for push button switches, and 3 holes below those are for indicator lights. I also really want to do something to cover up that ugly ass acorn nut in the center, lol. Some sort of cap, or even replace it with a milled piece.

Just found out this morning that we should be on (semi-)mandatory overtime until probably June-ish. Bittersweet deal. I plan on getting bearings and bushings and a paint gun soon, though, so hopefully I can get a roller at least before too much longer.

Looking very nice sofar, like your ideas. My first bike was a 72 CB350, of course that was in 1977, so it wasn't that old then. Only issue it had was that once in a while it wouldn't start, no spark , and then you try it the next day and it would run perfectly. Never figured that one out, and then it blew a hole in one piston,after that its all a blurr, cant remember for the life of me what I did with it. Long time ago.

frankenstuff said:
make that money as fast and for as long as you can, your bike will forgive your time away from it. ;D

It's not the bike's feelings I'm worried about, it's everyone here. ;D ;D

What type of push buttons are you going to use? Please tell me the sexy bulgin's with the illuminated circles around the perimeter (red of course). if i recall from my electrical cable manufacturing days allied electronics had the cheapest price for on small quantities but newark had the best bulk quantities.

Something like this, didn't pay attention to specs just wanted the picture.
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70099390

Back
Top Bottom