1975 XL250 Fork Lower

onelifeonelove43

Been Around the Block
SO... i want to lower my forks, and not just at the trees, i want to do a internal lower and want to it right, i have read about just cuttin' a bunch of shit and also about spacers. I'm not intimdated to tear down the forks, like i said i just want to do it right.

Wish I could help, I also heard about "the spacer trick" but never found anywhere that explained it. Ended up dropping my 76 XL 2" at the trees, but with that huge front wheel they never look very low. Maybe I'll swap on a CB front some day. Good Luck!

Hey Logan,

I so happen to know a trick for wheel conversion, not fork conversion.. You might like it. I had a XL500 1974 a couple years back wich i turned into a tracker. I wanted a smaller front wheel. In the first place because it's goes better in corners and ofcourse for looks. I bought an extra rear wheel and started taking the spokes apart as i wanted to use the rim only.
Now here's what i found out; The front hub has a large and a small flange. When you want to lace a rear-rim on a front hub, the spokes you allready have are a perfect fit! You can use the short set of spokes out of the front wheel for the large flange-side, and one set of rear-wheel spokes for the short flange side.
I even have some pics of it if you're really interested, but they're non digital so i'd have to scan them for you.

By the looks of it, this trick could work on a XL250 as well. After rim change there's no need to lower the forks. Lowering the forks on the massive front wheel (i did that in the first place) dramaticly changes riding capabilities for the worse. I strongly advice you not to lower your forks beyond the point of no return.

succes matey!

Resurrecting this thread. I'd love to see how you did this swap! I want to make a vintage-motard bike out of my 1975 xl250.

Back
Top Bottom