my 1971 CB750 project...

noodles

This is my 1971 cb750. Thats what she looked like last year. I've been slowly collecting parts and doing some work to put her to future glory. I'm new on this forum so if I'm in the wrong area please lemme know. I'll be posting new pics, progress and asking for help when I get stuck. Thanks!

Attachments

• TheBeginning.jpg
    TheBeginning.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,627
So I finally found a decent 1975 GL1000 front end a few weeks ago. Had to get the rotors and shaft seperately but gota free front wheel in the process so all good. :)

My tank and seat finally arrived last week, so I have a rough mock up picture. The placement is n't exactly perfect but at least it gives me an idea of how she is shaping up.

As far as the mechanicals, she was already a plenty strong runner. A 1971 Honda CB750 K1, Bored out 836, heavy duty valve springs, Web cam, dyna ignition, accel coils, etc and the head is ported as well.

As you can see from the fried wires on the controls...I had a lil electrical issue last year that basically ended my riding season. I was on a back road in Maine and stopped to top of the gas. The owner had just closed up but directed me to another station down the road. Went to start her back up...and nothing. I checked the fuses and sure enough it was blown. I had an issue with blowing fuses before that I thought my mechanic had remedied, so I carried a few extra fuses at all times after that. Tried a new fuses...kept blowing it. Called me mechanic and we went thru a few things which ended up in resulting in my wires getting FRIED. Sucks. Towed her home. I was living on my sailboat in the Marina in Boston then so, sat outside thru hurricane Irene and the winter while I decided what was next.

Eventually I decided I would fix her up. Found a new mechanic to help me and started collecting parts. My inspiration was the Wrenchmonkees 11, which a buddy who had owned this bike before was in love with. I would deviate from the concept but I did love the lines of the CR750 race tank... the rest, would evolve over time.

Attachments

• 1975-GL1000FrontEnd.jpg
    1975-GL1000FrontEnd.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,630
  • FriedControls1.jpg
    FriedControls1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,641
  • RotorsShaft.jpg
    RotorsShaft.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,623
  • SideProfileQuickMockup.jpg
    SideProfileQuickMockup.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,627
Got the front end on and clip-ons. I think I want to swap the clip-ons so they drop down.

Started working on the oil tank mock-up. First off with filling it with aluminum foil and then sketching up a paper mock-up to see how it fits.

inch by inch...

.. :)

Attachments

• OilTankMockUp.jpg
    OilTankMockUp.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,724
  • FrontEndAndBarsSwingArm2.jpg
    FrontEndAndBarsSwingArm2.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 1,750
  • FrontEndAndBarsSwingArm1.jpg
    FrontEndAndBarsSwingArm1.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 1,723
Oh yeah, and you can see the extended swing arm beside the stock swing arm there on the ground.

Here is the punch list of things to accomplish in the near term (not necessarily in order). The ultimate goal is to get it to be a rolling chassis by the end of July

1. Fit new swingarm, this entails two precision cuts and installation of new bushings.

2. with swing arm fitted mount rear tire to see how it fits, chain length etc. Install old shocks (until we can find a pair for this build)

3. Electricals. Just won a wire harness on ebay that will be the basis for the rewiring job, plan to get a new starter relay, rectifier/regulator and fuse block soon.

4. Controls. Mount controls, Just obtained a new clutch perch (ebay). Measure all cables (Clutch, throttle,and possibly the tac cable too) for replacement

5. Set up the front end, mount wheel and replace all rubber brake line with new SS lines (to be ordered).

6. Bodywork, Fit the tank, fabricate tabs to make it easy to mount and remove, same with the seat cowl. Finish trimming the frame and start to fabricate a pan under the seat for the electricals and battery.

7. Oil tank, begin to fabricate oil tank for this project.

Good luck mate can't wait to see it evolve. You have a bit of work ahead of ya that list is huge for a month. I wish you the best though.

Thanks.

Got some new better pics coming... but for now, here's how she stands...

Attachments

• P1100189.JPG
    P1100189.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 331
  • P1100192.JPG
    P1100192.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 332
  • P1100194.JPG
    P1100194.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 330
pic of the bike as a roller, braided brake lines are on their way. Concealed oil tank will be mounted soon, waiting on the oil lines

Attachments

• P1100204.jpg
    P1100204.jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 336
original front wheel on, ordered a standard headlight bucket for now... wait-list for Carpy's all in one is too long :(

Attachments

• P1100208.jpg
    P1100208.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 321
rear shocks in place, original rear wheel on and shimmed correctly, rear tail section on frame prepped for the bent pipe - should be welded up soon

Attachments

• P1100205.jpg
    P1100205.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 340
That doesnt look like and original wheel. Looks like a 16 harley wheel(common chopper thing)
Really kills the handling of the bike.

by "original" wheel I'm referring to how I purchased her. I haven't picked out what the new wheels will be, so just getting the rolling chassis up to see what looks good.

LOL, yea as soon as I posted the pics I realized that... :-[

That will get remedied soon enough!

Yeah, the CR tank makes the bike for me. Best decision I made on the whole build so far hands down. I'm still playing with the idea of making the seat a combo single/double up... eh, we'll see...

I'm leaning with alloys. Keeping the front rim and getting a larger rear. But I do have a set of mags somewhere that I got as part of a lot with the GL front end that's on there now.

I also have a brand new set of chrome spoke Harley wheels , 4.25 x 16 which I originally bought with this bike...decisions, decision, decisions.

Any suggestions?

The front is easy as the GL or Hondamatic wheel are alloy and bolt on
Rear is harder, the Hondamatic wheel bolts in, but is 17 and not the best. Better then 16 though

You can get Excel rims made up, but thats a fair bit of money and you would have to do the front to match the back.
And mag wheels really are a min of a grand these days.

@ surffly - yeah the rim things has me at a stand still for the moment, I know I want alloys/spokes just need to decide on the size of the rear. I think after I see it as a rolling chassis more and more it will come to me. Till then I have plenty road to cover.

Back
Top Bottom