Crown Jewels

c

So much of the cafe racer scene is standing around ogling obsolete piles of crap that any GS 500
could runs rings around. Lets not even talk about how dim you must be to own one or more where they're unusable for 8 monthes out of the year. I digress.

What is the crown jewel on your ride?
What's that one part that you look at last as you leave the garage? The one part that if you crushed it in a vise soul would seep out of?

Bonus points for pictures!

c

Judging by your post it would seem that were you put in a vise and crushed NO soul would seep out. I bought a scanner today and was playing with it. Heres some soul from 37 yers ago.

Hoofhearted said:
Judging by your post it would seem that were you put in a vise and crushed NO soul would seep out. I bought a scanner today and was playing with it. Heres some soul from 37 yers ago.

Whether I personally have no soul or not is open to debate I suppose. Sorry if you don't see the
humor in the condition if the vinbike enthusiast.

Now, what part of of this bike is the jewel?

c

I guess I didn't see the humor. I've never looked at cafe/vintage bikes as "obsolete piles of crap". Quite the opposite. I find the current and not so current Jap style as bland. Most of them look like they were designed by one person and photcopies of the design mailed to the big four manufacturers. Cafe racers are built by enthusiasts. Vintage bikes are restored by enthusiasts. They ooze soul because they are built by and loved by enthusiasts. Anyone can walk into a dealer and plonk own the bucks and ride away on a 180+mph superbike. Anyone can walk into Check Book Choppers Inc. and ride out on a super dooper custom chopper in which his (or her) involvement is nil, zero, nada, zilch other than writing the check. There is a lot more than having the latest whizz bang megabike. The jewel in that Triton I built 37 years ago for next to nothing (because I had next to nothing at that time)? Every last nut and bolt.

Heres another "obsolete pile of crap" that can barely get out of its own way. Is it a jewel? To my eyes it is.

I agree with Hoofhearted 100%

The Jewel for me is my Rickman Fairing. The day I saw it on Craigslist, I had to have it. And quickly, before it was gone. I know how rare they are to find one for sale.

Onthe6501close.jpg

LOL... My crown jewel has to be my front fender number plate...
It was cheap to get but I never see any other bike on the street with one and it ALWAYS get the double take from people around

IMG_9845.jpg

I always get the question..."Did you import that bike from London??.."

LOL...

C, i think that your vibe might have been misunderstood, or I may just be giving you too much credit. Anyways, my crown jewel is my Benji's seat. Here's a pic of it on my obsolete piece of crap ;) ;D

IMG_3445.jpg

Anything Not Stock...

I am a student, and therfore have no cash to spend on my bike... so when I finally do make / buy something for the bike it's a "Crown Jewel."

Last I checked the royal crowns had alot of jewels, right?

I love my bike and everything, but my crown Jules are between my legs... I think they’d leak something other than “soul” if crushed.

But my bike has relocated electrics and battery. People always ask me if it runs ;D
untitled2aa9.jpg

eightthirtysixcc said:
I love my bike and everything, but my crown Jules are between my legs... I think they’d leak something other than “soul” if crushed.

But my bike has relocated electrics and battery. People always ask me if it runs ;D
untitled2aa9.jpg

[/quote

I love a bike without anything under the seat- just air. In your case I'd say the crown jewel wasn't
a part, but the space where there used to be some.

c

GEEZ!! I almost did something embarrasing.....I was gonna post my picture, then I noticed it was "Crown Jewels" and not "Family Jewels". :-[

I kinda get what your saying, but beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder. For instnace, my "Crown Jewel" is my tail bag. Some people like it, Most People Think it is the ugliest thing in the world. It doesn't really fit my bike. It's to big, to wide, and sticks out like a sore thumb. But, it would not be "MY" bike without it.

I still want to know where you got the tail bag - I'd like something like that for my BMW :D Let us in on the secret!

My favourite part for my bike is my yet-to-be mounted alloy tank. Don't even need to squeeze it to get the soul out - it oozes soul!

AlloyTank2007.jpg

BTW 'c' - I like your Norton. Does it have a strap holding the tank down? Looking for info on that as I will need one for my alloy tank when it comes time to get it mounted to the bike.

I agree with what I think the sentiment of your original post in this thread was - the first and formost purpose of a 'cafe' bike is performance. If you stick to that mantra, the end-result is likely something that has character and 'soul' as it's typically something that comes together over time with a variety of parts that suit the purpose moreso than the 'style' - like all the various bits on your Norton. Many would cringe at the idea of running Yamaha forks on a Norton, but if it keeps you on the road, then it's the right thing to do.

Of course we're all suckers for a bit of style, and while I could argue the merits of an alloy tank that doesn't rust, that is light etc. etc., the bottom line is it looks really freakin' cool and that's why I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom