The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

stroker crazy said:
They look very similar to the units on the original Dream, if I remember correctly.

Crazy
yeah they do a little bit
DSC02335.JPG

ChrisBNE said:
Pardon My ignorance, why is there twin exhaust headers outlets into one?
the honda dream 50 engine is a dohc and has twin exhaust ports. the stock exhaust is a twin system, this one is after market.

Hi everybody,

First post here but I've spent the past week or so going through this topic, lots and great advice and experience. The Ace is my first bike and I've only put around 500 miles on her so far but loving every minute of it, only getting better as she's breaking in too. I've not made any changes yet (apart from de-stickering the side pods and seat) but I have a few modification planned for over the winter. So far I have the tuning kit on order from OORacing, new front and rear lights in the post and I think I will look into the rear shocks and exhaust next when I have a bit of money together as I'm finding it quite bouncy on the lanes where I live.

Also the mirrors have to go, does anyone know if the stock bars will accept bar-end units? Currently at Uni away from my bike so I can't check for myself. Out of interest, my bike arrived with the EGR system already removed and blanked off, is this standard for UK bikes?

Many thanks,
Ricky

Attachments

• IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    507.9 KB · Views: 241
musket the dog said:
Also the mirrors have to go, does anyone know if the stock bars will accept bar-end units?

yeah the bars accept standard 7/8 bar ends, but there is a metal plug in the end of the bars, you cant drill it out its too hard , just get a socket extension and hammer and bash then into the bars.but it takes a bit of effort to do.

Attachments

• 992824_10200225496863990_800372191_n.jpg
    992824_10200225496863990_800372191_n.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 274
Hi Ricky

Whats that under carriage - a Vulcan? As far as I know the EGR unit is standard on UK bikes..
Re indicators - mine came with some hideous cheap tin things that looked like small bean tins with an orange end.
The original Dream is a nice thing....but I wonder why they only did a fifty...probably something to do with Honda heritage.
I am going to strip my rear brake this weekend - Has anyone any experience of why it could be so crap? Luckily for me I live near Saftek who can reline them if needed but it may be easier to buy new Honda ones if I know they'll fit..

Cheers

Dave

Dave M said:
I am going to strip my rear brake this weekend - Has anyone any experience of why it could be so crap? Luckily for me I live near Saftek who can reline them if needed but it may be easier to buy new Honda ones if I know they'll fit..

it looks like the rear wheel is a honda cg (93 model) knock off if you go by the parts views for each one.

Attachments

• L.jpg
    L.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 242
musket the dog said:
Hi everybody,

First post here but I've spent the past week or so going through this topic, lots and great advice and experience. The Ace is my first bike and I've only put around 500 miles on her so far but loving every minute of it, only getting better as she's breaking in too. I've not made any changes yet (apart from de-stickering the side pods and seat) but I have a few modification planned for over the winter. So far I have the tuning kit on order from OORacing, new front and rear lights in the post and I think I will look into the rear shocks and exhaust next when I have a bit of money together as I'm finding it quite bouncy on the lanes where I live.

Also the mirrors have to go, does anyone know if the stock bars will accept bar-end units? Currently at Uni away from my bike so I can't check for myself. Out of interest, my bike arrived with the EGR system already removed and blanked off, is this standard for UK bikes?

Many thanks,
Ricky

Victor??

Welcome Ricky

Bar mirrors yes you just have to hit the weights in with a hammer

I like my shiny "bean tins" ;)

I think I read that the EBC H303 "one size fits all" shoes fit the Ace http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-H303-MOTORCYCLE-BRAKE-SHOES-/190836972033?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2c6ec51a01

When I had a look at mine they looked very dirty for a bike that had done no miles - I cleaned them up with a file and degreased the inside of the drum - will see how they are now before replacing if needed .

And for fronts I got these :FA165
Just Dan said:
EBC FA165HH for the brake pads. I am also keen to see how it goes with the upgrade.

Bojer said:
I like my shiny "bean tins" ;)

Oops! :D Sorry Bojer! Thanks for the link and the info - I'll have mine in bits tomorrow and report back.

Because I am particularly slow on the up take I have only just looked at Mikey's web site - Fab - I'll email my location at some point.

Regarding the UK meet in 2014 where would it likely be? Just a meet or camping...

Dave

Hi All

Got bored tonight so went and sorted the rear brake.. What I found was not good really. I know I mentioned the front disc bolts and I don't want to become a health and safety bore - I actually prefer what we had before H&S i.e. Natural Selection - but..

On my bike, which is dealer supplied, brand new, OTR....

Brake rubbing with wheel off the floor.
Both shoes covered with grey slime - like aluminium paste - easily cleaned off.
No grease or lube on the pivot side of the drum - rusty - Cleaned + grease applied.
No lube on the brake cam or shaft - a smear of 'earwax' around the end but not in the hole - grease applied.
No lube anywhere in fact!
No seal on the pivot shaft to stop water ingress - easily sorted with an o ring and copper washer.
The split link clip on the chain very loose - replaced
Grease applied to wheel spindle upon reassembly.
All adjusted - no rubbing and the brake feels like it will be fine now

The shoes are actually cast with "CG125" in them! so no debate there....

Sorry if this is all basic stuff to some of you but I rode mine thinking it would be fine and I am sure that this bike is going to appeal to learners with less experiance, especially in the UK, so I feel bound to mention what I found.

If any one in W. Yorks has an Ace and they want help with this issue I'd be glad to offer it, in the mean time check out your rear brake if you are in any doubt...

Dave

A parcel arrived from China on Thursday :)
So this is the first cosmetic change to my Ace as yet!
other than removing stickers
Firstly I removed seat to find a couple holes perfect for my
new tail light bracket, quickly fabbed a bracket
removed the mudguard to see scuffing underneath from when my 85kegs
bounced on the old stock shocks
Did a bit of trial and error with wiring , Crazy's enlarged diagram on hand ;)
I decided to keep indicators ( I like shiny things ) 8)
and just moved them in onto the frame
Like the way its looking now, thinking of moving battery etc
cheers ACEitup

Attachments

• taillight bracket.JPG
    taillight bracket.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 986
  • mudguard.JPG
    mudguard.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 972
  • lights on.PNG
    lights on.PNG
    311.3 KB · Views: 968
  • tidy rear.PNG
    tidy rear.PNG
    328.7 KB · Views: 987
Sounds exactly the same as what I found when I took my brake apart - no grease except that on the shoes !
Mine had done no miles and I think the drum was still dirty from manufacturing/storage - cleaned out with brake cleaner .

I think it has to be faced these are still bikes made in China so will need more prep than one from Japan.

I agree Bojer - The problem is that if newbies get them and dealers haven't prepped well it's not good. Same old, same old perfectly good tackle maintained/supplied by tits = bad news. I even copped for this with a new Harley so it's not just cheapy Chinese gear (I know Harley is probably mostly Chinese or similar!)

At the risk of being a saddo - I'm sure Oz type indicators are different to UK ones! look at ACEitup's - Lovely!

Maybe I copped for some left overs from something else!

DM

Yep , you're right there about the prep - suppose with the Chinese bikes there is not the necessary profit margin in them for the amount of prep they need . Like the bike I took to Spain I spent more than a day going over it - sorting connections , lubing , tightening /loosening etc .

I had the theory that 2013 bikes had the bean tin metal indicators and the black aluminium master cylinder while the earlier ones had plastic indicators and master cylinder - just a theory ! ;) I genuinely like my bean tin ones as they look authentic :)

Finally got my registration plate and tax disc yesterday so will be taking mine for its first ride - well as soon as I put a new clutch in daughters Focus.......... :mad:

Back
Top Bottom