The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

Quantumdriver said:
I have spent a bit of time working on my Ace this week. Principally I have installed new instruments in an attempt to tidy up the front end and make the bike look a bit more 'sporty'! I sourced the tachometer and speedometer from China via Ebay and was quite impressed with the quality. They have dark faces and are attractively back lit with a blue light. The needles glow red when the lights are on. I fabricated a new bracket and located the original warning light cluster on it. I am pleased with the look and operation of the set up. I test rode the bike yesterday and the instruments work fine. I want to check the calibration of the speedo with my GPS, but it feels about right. Any thoughts or feedback?
cool looks good, i was wondering if those speedos would work on the ace :)
do you have a link to the one you bought?

Welcome aboard Quantumdriver!

It looks like you've been bitten by the modification bug, so you've come to the right place.

Are you another rider from Oz, or do you hail from elsewhere?

Crazy

Whilst working on the Ace this week I spotted that the rear sprocket was loose. On investigation all 4 of the securing nuts were less than finger tight, the bike has done 1000k's. I'd advise all owners to check their nuts!
I had to repaint the swing arm as it was rusty in places. I found that Ford carmine red was a pretty good match! not perfect, but certainly close enough.
I also discovered by reference to other bikes in my collection that the lower fork yoke (triple tree) is an exact match to an early seventies Honda cb125s and a late sixties s90. The top yoke from a CB125s fits also but lacks the lugs for the instrument and headlamp brackets.

Quantumdriver said:
the rear sprocket was loose

At least it was only the nuts! When my rear sprocket was loose it turned out that the cush-drive rubbers had disintegrated.

Quantumdriver said:
I found that Ford carmine red was a pretty good match! not perfect, but certainly close enough.
I also discovered by reference to other bikes in my collection that the lower fork yoke (triple tree) is an exact match to an early seventies Honda cb125s and a late sixties s90. The top yoke from a CB125s fits also but lacks the lugs for the instrument and headlamp brackets.

Thanks for the information on alternative sources - this helps build a database that can be very useful.

Crazy

Quantumdriver said:
Ford carmine red was a pretty good match!

I've been trying to find Ford carmine red here in Oz, but without success.
If you could let me know the paint manufacturer's name and the product number it would be a great help!

Crazy

Quantumdriver said:
I am in the UK, I live in Eastbourne on the south coast, directly south of London. I just wish he had weather as warm as you guys have!

Hi Quantumdriver, welcome. I like the look of your insruments. I also live on the south coast between Southampton and Portsmouth. I pick my Ace up at the weekend (hopefully).

Wayne

Quantumdriver said:
Whilst working on the Ace this week I spotted that the rear sprocket was loose. On investigation all 4 of the securing nuts were less than finger tight, the bike has done 1000k's. I'd advise all owners to check their nuts!

... Damn - that sounds seriously bad! Thnks for the heads-up, will check before each ride. Hate for a sprocket to come loose doing 100+ kmh

I read that others have reported their front sprockets were also loose - can someone plse advise how to check the front unit (do i have to drain the oil and remove engine side cover?)

Cheers, Haz

回覆: The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

hey Hazza

just remove the front crancase by removing two bolts, one on top with the earth cable attaching to and the other one on the bottom.

check the retainer clip holding the sprocket and also check for any dirty stuff.

correct me if im wrong though guys.

cheers

Sent from my IM-A880S using Tapatalk

It's a lovely day here, 12 degrees and sunny so I have just taken the Skyteam out with its new instruments for a test and calibration run. The results are not bad. I used my GPS to check speeds. The speedometer runs about 5 kph fast throughout the range. The rev counter is more difficult to check but seems about right, it maxes out at peak revs at about 9500, which is what my early 70's Honda CB125s does, however it shows 2000 at a slow tickover, which is wrong, it should be about 900.

My bike maxes out on the flat with my 99kg form on it at about 57mph as indicated by the GPS. I have taken the EGR set up off and blanked off the port in the head and sealed the inlet pipe at the carb, other than I think the bike is standard, I bought it second hand and I can see no sign of tuning. Do this top speed seem about right? I am pleasantly surprised, my CB 125s is about the same and it has no catalyst or emission devices and runs an overhead cam. If I can unlock a bit more mid range grunt and say a genuine 60mph top end, sitting up, by freeing up the exhaust and rejetting, I'll be chuffed.

Now, will the XL 185 motor I have on shelf fit?!!!

Quantumdriver said:
My bike maxes out on the flat with my 99kg form on it at about 57mph as indicated by the GPS.
Now, will the XL 185 motor I have on shelf fit?!!!
I'd say that's about right - well the same as mine with my 95kg on it anyway ! Does the balancer shaft arrangement make the crankcase effectively "longer" between the horizontal mounts ?
I am running a 16T front sprocket that may well be over geared a lot of the time .

How do I attach a photo? When I try to add an attachment it says that the file is too big and I do not know how to make it the right size.

Wayne

WJPez said:
How do I attach a photo? When I try to add an attachment it says that the file is too big and I do not know how to make it the right size.

Wayne

hey Wayne get yourself a photobucket http://s1146.photobucket.com/ account upload pic onto it then copy the IMG URL and paste directly into the forum reply box and the image should appear when you post the post.

URL=https46.photot.com/user/liamfrejiszyn/media/-546E-4779-84D3-BB071043F888-1537-0000070FF6156381_zps6a1f1fe3.jpg.html]
0DD0A2-546E-4779-84D3-BB071043F888-1537-0000070FF6156381_zps63.jg
[/URL

this link above is similar to how the pics look as the URL link.

not sure if that makes sense as i'm no computer wiz.

Back
Top Bottom