Low Buck Landracer

Hoofhearted

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Heres a few photos of my sidecar project. I've been at for a while (read no money to spend on it). The frame is home made, on the garage floor, 3"X1" mild steel. 110" wheel base. The motor is an old 500cc Weslake speedway engine hooked up to a Norton trans. Front end is a chopped up Kawasaki forks with an Austin mini wheel. The back wheel is Triumph. I hope to have it ready for El Mirage next May. I put the motor in my Norton last season to see how it would run. The best was a 124.900 so I'm hoping to equal or better that. Building it beas whatever has been on tv.

That's pretty wild... never seen a racing sidecar rig de-shelled... cool!

The low stance reminds me of this Beemer I came across online one time...

Hoofhearted said:
If I told yo how the scoops were done you'd fall around the place laughing.

nothing wrong with card board/foamcore and fiberglass.

c

You got it in one. Corrugated paper shaped the way I wanted it. Waxed, glassed and a skim of Bondo to make it nice and smooth. I just got a digital camera (gift). If I can "figger" it I'll post a few more photos.

I've been playing with the camera. Heres aa shot of the engine/trans and the nosecone I had to make to comply with the rules.

To tell the truth I don't know the exact year of manufacture of the engine. I know its a late 80s pushrod motor. 498cc, I'm guessing as I've never had it on a dyno but it should be around 55 bhp. It revs to about 7500 on a run. VP C12 race gas, 45mm Mikuni, 35 deg. fixed ignition advance, 14:1 compression. I was supposed to run it last year but it wasn't quite ready. I put the motor in my Norton to see how well I had put it together. With a fairing fitted to the Norton it ran 124.900 at El Mirage last Sept. So I'm hoping for that or better. Heres the Norton in the lights at 125.

Back
Top Bottom