www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 2x stroke street tracker - project coming together slowly.  (Read 6102 times)

Offline NoRiders

Re: 2x stroke street tracker - project coming together slowly.
« Reply #60 on: Jul 09, 2018, 19:42:12 »
Small steps......clutch actuating mechanism cleaned and the connecting rod straightened as well as the cover plate.

Also, checked the kickstart mechanism, turns the engine over a treat :) The conrods/bigends appear to be good with absolute minimal lateral movement and no discernible wear on the big end. I'll change the small ends as they're straight forward and cheap.
The crank turns over cleanly using either conrod, I can't detect any resistance of roughness in the rotation.
I'm gonna replace the main bearings and crank seals as a matter of course.

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #61 on: Jul 09, 2018, 21:04:59 »
You will need chokes.  (actually they are fuel enrichers - a simple and large extra jet that is enabled when you lift the piston either with a cable or the lever actuator).  Most cold 2-strokes are nigh on impossible to start without the extra fuel.  The original carbs have only one of these in one carb, but have a connecting tube that supplies the fuel from the enricher equipped carb to the other - you only have to work the one piston to enrich both carbs.  This is a lot simpler than a clunky mechanical connection that lifts the enricher pistons on multiple carbs.  On one of my bikes, I have a cable setup that goes to the handlebar and a lever - two cables because the two carbs are otherwise completely separate - the throttles work similarly.  The problem is that most carbs can't be had except in one configuration - the idle set screws, pilot adjustment and enrichers are all on the same side, so on one carb, all those things will be accessed from between the two carbs which is a real pain.  A lot of carbs are cast so they can be machined right and left handed, but making the alteration likely would take quite a bit of skill and trouble.  If you think there is no hope for the original carbs, or that they will be hopelessly small, you might try a pair from a larger 2-stroke twin like a Yamaha Rd250/350 which is set up with a matching pair from the factory.
Mobius

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

1973 RD350 Yamaha build  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66498.0

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #62 on: Jul 11, 2018, 12:59:25 »
You will need chokes.  (actually they are fuel enrichers - a simple and large extra jet that is enabled when you lift the piston either with a cable or the lever actuator).  Most cold 2-strokes are nigh on impossible to start without the extra fuel.  The original carbs have only one of these in one carb, but have a connecting tube that supplies the fuel from the enricher equipped carb to the other - you only have to work the one piston to enrich both carbs.  This is a lot simpler than a clunky mechanical connection that lifts the enricher pistons on multiple carbs.  On one of my bikes, I have a cable setup that goes to the handlebar and a lever - two cables because the two carbs are otherwise completely separate - the throttles work similarly.  The problem is that most carbs can't be had except in one configuration - the idle set screws, pilot adjustment and enrichers are all on the same side, so on one carb, all those things will be accessed from between the two carbs which is a real pain.  A lot of carbs are cast so they can be machined right and left handed, but making the alteration likely would take quite a bit of skill and trouble.  If you think there is no hope for the original carbs, or that they will be hopelessly small, you might try a pair from a larger 2-stroke twin like a Yamaha Rd250/350 which is set up with a matching pair from the factory.

Thanks for the insight, hadn't thought of the adjusters being masked by it twin....hmmm?
I can see the choke mechanism and link pipe to the other carb on the stock set up. Almost all the chinese carbs are singles with manual choke lever/knob. I'd need to see them so I could rig up a twin choke system, trying to keep the bars simple/minimalist so a choke lever I'd prefer down there so to speak.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #63 on: Jul 14, 2018, 20:36:16 »
Talking to a fella on Facebook who produces custom decals and stickers. Roughing out what I had in mind for the tank....70's style, in GSX-R colours.

The tank will be painted appliance white (to match the wheels) and the blues will be decals including a 3d Suzonda badge possibly?
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2018, 06:04:21 by NoRiders »

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #64 on: Jul 15, 2018, 06:03:25 »
When you're watching an item and deciding whether to buy or not......and then it's reduced by 35%...boom.

I only needed the inlet rubbers, which are on ebay for 25+...I get the entire barrel as well for around the same cost, result :) A spare barrel when running a 2smoker is essential.

Online farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #65 on: Jul 15, 2018, 14:54:51 »
When you're watching an item and deciding whether to buy or not......and then it's reduced by 35%...boom.

I only needed the inlet rubbers, which are on ebay for 25+...I get the entire barrel as well for around the same cost, result :) A spare barrel when running a 2smoker is essential.
One stock
One ported
Winner winner chicken dinner
Nice find

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #66 on: Jul 15, 2018, 15:33:49 »
One stock
One ported

Now that's not a bad idea :)