www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750  (Read 90048 times)

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750
« Reply #570 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:18:49 »
Looking very 'period' Beach, coming together nicely.

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head with a mainly silver scheme, or a vintage race rep style paint job.

Why thank you kindly .... I saw an old colour pic of a Triton yesterday. "Proper" SIlver with Red and Black traditional pinstriping - very tempting. 
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #571 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:31:37 »
So when you're looking to get an intake plenum made up and getting quotes for items that must be gold plated ......... hmmmm - bread baking tin - right size and just needs a plate welded on to seal. All the various intake bellmouths, take offs, manifold connections can be welded in prior to being sealed ...... cost £5.00 !!!

Offline Hurco550

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • life is short, smile while you still have teeth
« Reply #572 on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:28:31 »
So when you're looking to get an intake plenum made up and getting quotes for items that must be gold plated ......... hmmmm - bread baking tin - right size and just needs a plate welded on to seal. All the various intake bellmouths, take offs, manifold connections can be welded in prior to being sealed ...... cost £5.00 !!!

"much ingenuity with a little money is more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity" - Arnold Bennett
Keep er' Between The Ditches!!!

2006 Suzuki DR650 Adventure monowheel trailer build: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=75033.0
1976 BMW R90/6 farkilitious: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74349.msg882477#msg882477
1975 RD350 Road Racer: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70652.msg833688#msg833688
1973 Ironhead Hardtail: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68135.msg788081#msg788081
1976 GT250 Rebuild: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=64973.new#new
Full Custom Pit Bike: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66954.new#new
1971 Yamaha 90cc twin HS1: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70498.0
"much ingenuity with a little money is more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity" - Arnold Bennett

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #573 on: Dec 18, 2017, 13:22:57 »
Very nice idea !!

Offline spotty

• Vmax...why,yes i think i will
    • spottys world of vmax (and great danes)
« Reply #574 on: Dec 18, 2017, 17:11:24 »
given the thin-ness and general tinniness of those sorts of baking accessories, i'd be going for soldering or at most brazing, any sort of proper welding will distort the metal or just blow holes in it. brazing using a tiny weeny flame should be controllable
another option might be to check out proper industrial strength baking tins, check out catering suppliers or similar, they are a lot heavier construction and designed to take far more brutal treatment from ham fisted speed freaks (oops I mean bakers)
short fast loud, three things punk rock and vmaxs have in common

south of the border, down melbourne way

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #575 on: Dec 19, 2017, 05:07:26 »
given the thin-ness and general tinniness of those sorts of baking accessories, i'd be going for soldering or at most brazing, any sort of proper welding will distort the metal or just blow holes in it. brazing using a tiny weeny flame should be controllable
another option might be to check out proper industrial strength baking tins, check out catering suppliers or similar, they are a lot heavier construction and designed to take far more brutal treatment from ham fisted speed freaks (oops I mean bakers)

Exactly so Grasshopper .................... I have a guy [ 80 yrs old !! ] all lined up to braze the thing up. That said - the baking tin is HD [ ?? ] and I also have a "terrine mould" which is in stainless ...... we'll see, but thanx for the reminder !
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2017, 05:09:23 by beachcomber »

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #576 on: Dec 22, 2017, 19:44:05 »
The stainless terrine mould is the bollox. ! ;) Baking tin would braze up OK - but it's Teflon coated - not sure about that.

SO, while I'm here ...... where do Board Tracker builds go on this forum ? Actually - I guess this Glemseck thread should be over in Cafe Racers now ?????

Yes, as I'm feeling well enough to get excited about projects again ...... best have another one ! Dropped the hammer on the 125 Virago powered Board Tracker idea in a Motobecane or similar chassis. I got a complete running Virago for £650. Already had offers of £150 for the spoked wheels ! I reckon in true Beachcomber fashion - the sale of the unwanted bits will pay for the bike - and maybe a little over. The bike has a V5 [ title ] which will make it simples when it comes to registration. I also scored  an XLS 125 spoked 21" front wheel for £30.

Brian's off for Christmas, but as soon as he gets back we'll be measuring up for the wheel spacers / sleeves and then it's making patterns for the under frame fuel cell, and mounting brackets for the "tank", seat and fairing. Also scored a beautiful oil catch tank  [ Chinabay ] for £19 !. 8)

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #577 on: Jan 06, 2018, 17:33:17 »
New Year - new start

First day in the garage and we have finally [ !! ] fitted up the front forks – oil in and actually got the caps on without cross threading them ! What a fargin stupid design !! The wheel has been centralised ready to be measured for the new spindle / spacers, then that’ll be the front end buttoned up. STILL need a fork brace ? The one I bought was very nice – but not for my bike ! Still waiting for the refund. I think I might go all classic with the steering dampener – like the old fashioned Brit bikes – I even have a Manx Norton adjuster wing nut ! More work on positioning the blower / drive / manifolding / plenum etc. The good news is that everything has dropped neatly into place. We’re also mocked up the under frame tank, breather can, etc. Rear sprocket now fitted so we can get a base alignment for the rear wheel.

And finally, I removed the “new” [ 4 years ago ] gel battery from under the seat – and guess what – it’s charged up AND holding 12.75 amps after 5 days.

Oh yes - the bastard gazzumped me on the Virago having accepted my offer >:( >:(. back to the KZ powered Boardtracker then.

Then we found out that a fuel cell under the frame is a non starter according to the regs, even though it would have had more protection than a tank in the stock position.  ::) So it's back to the original plan when I was going to use the Weber carb'd engine - in the frame diamond behind the engine. Abandoned the idea when I was using the turbo -  as that's where the turbo was going ! Switch to the blower and things were still mighty tight, but then I found the smaller cased Eaton - and bingo that area is now completely clear. Looks like the same sort of capacity 3 galls [ imp ], maybe more. We'll do the Blue Peter cardboard mock up next week.

My tame machine shop guy is still working [ keeps threatening to retire - inconsiderate bastard !  ::)] and is quite happy to continue making my P.I.T.A. parts. First job is the front wheel spindle and rear wheel spacers so I can get the rolling chassis .....er  - rolling. ;) I'll also discuss with him making the blower drive. While I'm at it I'll get him to make up the 40mm front wheel spacers for my Volvo 940 wagon project - did I say I was cutting down due to health issues ?? Guess you're a long time dead.

Offline der_nanno

• Faster!
    • Greasy Greg
« Reply #578 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:58:38 »
Looking good TJ and it's funny to note what kind of car you drive... (Even though I assume that you're the cool kid in town and enjoy it with one of the nice petrol fourbangers in it - mine's a turbodiesel, which makes it a bit bland, but the perfect towing rig)

I have (by now) received my Eaton M24 (out of a 1.4L VW) for the TR1. Nifty bit of kit. Should you run out of space, it's like a 2/3s copy of your M45, but with a 1.93:1 step up box, so it actually moves about the same amount of air. And it's max. RPM is 17.000. Would make a nice alternative or step stone between AMR500s and Eaton M45s.
Real freedom starts with the freedom of thought.

My Blog:
http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at

My Turbo TR1.1 (XV1000) build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72571

My XS Triple Sidecar build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74211

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #579 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:55:58 »
Thanx for the headsup on the VW blower - I AM on the lookout for one.

I've had all the cool cars, Cobra, Porsche, Jag [ both real and replica ] - but ALWAYS ran a sensible estate as my every day "works" car ! Usually Citroens - CX, XM, then the crappy C5 - before settling on Volvo.

A very small selection of cars I've owned ........................