SR500 Project

Brad you'll be proud.

It turns out r5 tanks and SR frames really don't get along.
So I had to cut a new neck for the oil tank cap and weld in new sheetmetal

null_zps8a382d1c.jpg
null_zps84586c50.jpg

Not having a tig really made this more difficult than it should have been. I may do some welder surgery and put in a fully adjustable potentiometer instead of the 4 settings my welder currently has. The lowest it's quite low enough.
But I got that done.

Then it turns out the oil tank and the frame fuckin hate eachother. Great.
So I went with the gentle approach to fixing this problem:
null_zpsc5dae53d.jpg

null_zps58b66c69.jpg

And there you have it, fits almost like a glove. Still needs a bit of banging but I got tired and bored.
null_zps3fc0c7b3.jpg

i have a shit ton of SR500 parts,if you need something hit me up n I'll see if I have an extra.

I'll take that girder fork off of your hands cheap 8)
Pm sent

Thanks mike!

I hate it when parts cost more than the bike.
I spent as much on wheel bearings and engine oil seals as I did the whole motorcycle haha.
I am keeping a very thorough running total of cost and its annoying to look at.

Bike $100.00
Tires $92.68
Tire Ship $8.99
Exh Gasket $3.50
Oil Filter $5.00
Spark Plug $3.00
Shipping ^ $14.82
Title/Reg $33.88
Uni Filter $15
Gaskets $27.99
Seals $43 (WTF)
Wheel Bearings $42.02
Engine Parts $36.16
Tank $20
Powder $35
Sheet Steel $5

It all adds up quick I'm tellin' ya!

And I still need:

Master cylinder (14mm)
Shocks (13")
Handlebars
Grips
Forks

Fucking "cheap" bikes are never cheap.

What bars do you want? I'm getting ready to scrap my shiny chrome trackers, too low. Going back to a higher bar.

Well if you want to scrap em ill take em off your hands ;)
That's about what I'm looking for.
I'd scrap the chrome as well though a powder them bronze

I have the stock forks off my 79 SR500 project on the top shelf at the shop. Haven't looked at them in a year and half but I remember them being alright. I'll dig them out tomorrow and post some pics.

Hunter that would be great!

And scruffy, I've got the stock bars from my sr, which are about 2-3 inches higher than the superbikes if you want me to blast them clean and ship em your way we can do some trading

Single or dual cable on your bar's throttle sleeve? Because mine is a single pull with new grips and end plugs... I prefer grips like your bar has.

Mine are these... Shit Box the Super Junker in all its disreputable "glory"...
Tracker_zps936f4d30.jpg

If you need a dual cable throttle sleeve, best keep your sleeve.

I havent sorted the throttle out yet. Stock is set up for dual cable. You're more than welcome to the sleeve and the grips. (ill have to find the left side one, hope i didnt cut it off haha)

You'll need the dual cable setup if you're running the stock carb - you need it to push back the fast idle button.

Just had a look back to the start of this thread - looks like you don't have a stock carb anyway.

Jup,
Vm36.

While we're on the subject does anyone know if its supposed to fit tight in the stok carb boot?
(Hint: it doesn't, but is my boot worn out or is it just too big and I need to get a different size?)

SONICJK said:
Jup,
Vm36.

While we're on the subject does anyone know if its supposed to fit tight in the stok carb boot?
(Hint: it doesn't, but is my boot worn out or is it just too big and I need to get a different size?)

the vm36 choke lever is obstructed by some of the tabs on the stock boot, or at least thats what i noticed and mine slipped right in.

SONICJK said:
Jup,
Vm36.

I had to trim a bit of the rubber so the choke could clear but mine is a pretty tight fit. There is a good description about trimming it here:

http://the520chaincafe.blogspot.com/2011/07/vm36-round-slide-for-xt500.html

I did the same. However the 90 degree cable end hits the frame on my bike so that carb is not quite perfectly vertical.

Well its been a minute since my last update. But I have been working my ass off on this thing!
Got the tires mounted for a stupid price a few days ago.
And tonight I got the engine all buttoned up:
Gotta say, I am quite pleased 8)
Ignore the oily finger prints on the oil filter cover ::)

And I decided on a paint scheme.
The tank will get a nice dark bronze stripe powdered down the middle (same as the wheels etc) and then the tank and a slight portion of the tail will get a cream white paint job. I think its really going to set this one apart from the rest. But its going to be too pretty to ride!
Fuck that i can always repaint ;D

Back
Top Bottom