SR500 Project

Not a bad starting point, and that price is a steal!
Cant wait to see how this turns out

Subbed

Check this beast out.

I am getting incredibly excited about this bike.
I cannot wait to go into a field and slide sideways at 50mph
(and subsequently bust my ass, break something, tear up the newly finished bike, come to DTT and complain about it and bum replacement parts ;D)

Decided I'm going to be doing a lot of blasting on this one, so went ahead and did what I should have done along time ago:

Waiting for the silicone to dry inside, then I will do the window tomorrow night and fire her up and see how it goes!
Wheels will be the first to be blasted. I can't wait.

Tote her over for Mopars and Motorcycles, creek beds, woodlots with primitive access, small hill climbs, heck if you get mad we can launch her into the pond... I could use an artificial reef or two.

Nice work! That gas tank is custom. I am thinking about using the same tires on my XT500. I am also running a VM36 and I love it, here are my current settings but I just bought a 6DH3 Needle and a P8 Needle Jet and will be trying those soon.

Pilot: 30
Needle Jet: Q5
Needle: 6FJ6 (clip raised two notches)
Slide: 2.5
Main: 220

I am running an open megaphone exhaust. I am excited to see where you go with this bike!

Thanks Dan!

I think whoever jetted this one did a great job just by feel, no flat spots and it pulls all the way to redline (or what i can tell is redline from the broken off needle in my tach) (thats how you know a bike hasn't been run in a while, when the first time you start it the vibration breaks the tach needle off)

When I get it up and running around I'll start on some plug chops and see how it really does.

VonYinzer said:
Those 705s are bitchin. I ran them on my XS650 chopper and have them on my R5 tracker.

Awesome to hear.
They look even better in person then on the Interweb. Can't wait to get them mounted up

might want to check out suzuki dr400/500 tanks? blasting cabinet looks like you stole mine. Its identical. great minds think alike :) Remember to make a pluggable hole in the bottom for the grid to remove when it lost the edge. And a light. most def a light. I have a 200w beam on top, with hole in the top. works A+ next to my 18bar constant compressor ^^

Bert Jan said:
might want to check out suzuki dr400/500 tanks? blasting cabinet looks like you stole mine. Its identical. great minds think alike :) Remember to make a pluggable hole in the bottom for the grid to remove when it lost the edge. And a light. most def a light. I have a 200w beam on top, with hole in the top. works A+ next to my 18bar constant compressor ^^

Yup I picked up the light socket, some lexan, and a few finishing touches today and tonight it will get its first test hopefully.

I picked up 50 lbs of recycled glass and 50 lbs of black diamond to try out.

As far as tanks go, the SR's and XT's have an oil in frame set-up, so the backbone is a bit wider than a "normal" bike. A lot of other tanks won't fit.

Just something to keep in mind ;)

hillsy said:
As far as tanks go, the SR's and XT's have an oil in frame set-up, so the backbone is a bit wider than a "normal" bike. A lot of other tanks won't fit.

Just something to keep in mind ;)

This is true, but I have a hammer, i have a welder, I have torches, i can make anything fit ;)

It happened sooner than expected!
Got my order from mikes XS today, so I tossed on an exhaust gasket and a petcock, welded up a hole in the exhaust, tossed the tank on and went tearing off like a fool through the fields!

First observation: this much torque on grass with a street tire is just ridiculous. Anything past 1/2 throttle and the rear wheel just spins all day long in gears 1,2, and 3.
This realization led to.......you guessed it.....drifting around and donuts.
About 5 minutes into this I got a little overzealous and started sliding and trying to transition to a donut on the move.
Fail. Just a hair too much throttle and I was on the ground and the old girl was revving her heart out hahaha.

Picked it up, brushed it off, it started first kick and I was off to more hooligan-ish behavior.

I am in love.

Mike, which DT tank you have in mind?

I hate the stock one, Its too short I have decided. When I am sitting on the bike I like the tank to be up a little higher. I feel like if i hit the brakes a little hard I'm going to slide up the seat, across the tank and rack my balls on the handlbar risers.

Okay I change my mind on the tank.
For some reason I decided to read the standard sticker by the fuel cap:
null_zpse31b465b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom