www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread  (Read 78829 times)

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
Re: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2013, 19:52:46 »
I can't wait for the next installment!
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2013, 20:32:43 »
You don't have to wait too long  :)

About ten years ago I was given a box of spares from a Yam XJR turbo streetfighter (a long story), it had been sitting on a shelf all this time, until I remembered it during a tidying up. Most of the contents were useless, except for a mismatched pair of rearsets by the German company LSL. Wonder if I could use these I thought? Expecting to have to make new mounts, I tried them out. Amazingly they almost fit straight on, only a couple of mm out, which wouldn't be a problem. I would have to make a suitable master cylinder mount and pushrod and a linkage for the gearchange.. But first I had to remove the anodising from the levers as they were different colours..

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2013, 20:37:24 »
Time for a chemistry experiment.. using caustic soda in solution to remove the anodising...

something is happening, lots of bubbles and fizzing..

After ten minutes..

Then just had to polish them and they look ok..

The one problem now is that the rearsets are really far back, about where you'd expect to find pillion pegs,but I reckon I can live with them.. 

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2013, 20:47:40 »
Now I had to make a gear change linkage using parts from the original bikes highway pegs and my new rearsets..

This is my MK1 version, if it works ok in use I can always make a better looking MK2..

Step 1.. Turned the old splined lever upside down, cut the end off and file a flat on its side..

Step 2.. Make a simple triangle and bolt it to the side of the lever, and use it to mount a rose joint,which in turn will be one end of a shift rod. I used a bent wire to give me an idea for the shape of the new shift rod..

Step 3.. tap a thread in each end of a stainless bar, then heat and bend it into shape..

Its not very pretty, but it seems to work ok, and so far had cost only a few pounds for the stainless rose joint and clevis joint used on the ends of the shift rod. 

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2013, 20:57:51 »
Turning to the rear brake, this was a bit more involved. I had a second hand Brembo master cylinder, from a Ducati monster, which I made a simple mounting bracket for using a scrap piece of alloy plate...

Tapping a thread into the bracket before I file it into its final shape..

I didn't have a pushrod for the master cylinder, so Jeff kindly machined one up from a stainless bolt while I had break and nice cup of tea ..all my projects are sustained by tea  :)

All done, again I used stainless rose joint in the linkage...

Offline buckfever5

« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2013, 22:25:53 »
I'll be watching this one.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2013, 02:46:46 »
I bought these neat Daytona clocks, they look retro in their stainless cases, but are pretty high tech, can show peak revs, temp, even a clock..

I then made new mounts for them, as the stainless ones they came with the clocks didn't look right to me. I made a cock up when drilling the mounting holes in the underside of the top yoke, I was so intent on making sure I didn't drill all the way through the yoke, that I mistakenly used an 8mm drill bit for the M8 sized holes.. that's too big to allow a thread to be cut using a M8 tap. So as usual when I mess up I went over to see my mate Jeff with my sorry tale and while I drank tea he kindly drilled the holes out a bit more and used helicoil thread inserts to get back to an M8. Well, since I was there, we made a couple of stainless pieces for the steering lock and drilled the lower yoke where I guessed they should go. Cant say for sure, as the frame doesn't have a tab on the headstock, its one of those things I'll have to sort out later. We made them a bit longer than they probably will need to be, that way they can be machined down a bit if needed, once everything is together on the bike.

I made the new brackets from an offcut of alloy plate, using the original to trace out the shape and drill the three holes in each. Then it was a case of hacksawing out the shape and spending a long time with a file and wet and dry to get a reasonable finish. Still need to pretty it up, but it looks ok so far. I've still to make the idiot light bracket, which is a bit more complex, so far I've drilled all the holes and cut out the shape I need roughly with the hacksaw. Wish I had use of Jeffs miller, it would be much quicker and neater, but it was in use all that week, making a blower manifold for our drag bike.. Later I changed the way the clocks were mounted to tuck them in closer to the top yoke. 

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2013, 02:48:55 »
The next job was to  make a new head steady, as I wasn't happy with the original, though I'm sure it would've done the job ok, I decided to make one in alloy which would be lighter and stronger, and shinier ..

I marked out the shape on a scrap piece of aircraft spec alloy, then chain drilled out. I would've taken me ages to file the sides to a respectable finish, but luckily Jeff took pity on me and did the job in five minutes on the miller. Which left me to just finish the corners with a file and drill those all important lightening holes.. surprising it fit ok on the bike.

A pair of chromed alloy wheel hubs arrived soon after, a xmas pressie from me to me.. They are set up with 3/4 inch bearings, while the Honda forks have a 20mm spindle. I was intending to machine the Honda spindle down and make a top hat for one end so it still fits the forks. But the spindle is hollow, and it wouldn't be a good idea to machine it down anymore. So instead, we'll use an old Harley spindle and make it fit the fork legs, its solid and probably made out of pig iron lol. One problem I may have is that the front calipers may hit the spokes once the wheel is laced. Not sure yet, but it'll close either way.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2013, 02:52:01 »
The HD front hub has been causing a headache, I couldn't find any bearings that would fit the hub and work with the Honda 20mm spindle. Nor could I just machine down the spindle to 3/4 of an inch, as it was hollow and I didn't want to weaken it too much. Somehow I had to modify the original HD wheel spindle to fit the Honda forks..

Well, there was only one thing to do.. hand the problem over to my mate Jeff and his trusty lathe.. 5 hours of machining later the job was done.. Its this sort of problem that can really delay a project, without help I'd never finish mine that's for sure..

With the forks back on the bike, the next task was to buy a pair of 18 inch Morad alloy rims and stainless spokes and build the wheels, I'd never laced a motorcycle wheel before, so should be interesting

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2013, 02:54:56 »
A month later I ordered the rims and spokes from Central wheel company in Birmingham which arrived in a couple of days, and also some parts from Unity Equipe.. seat, stainless sidestand and tank strap and catch.

Then I had a go at lacing a wheel for the first time. I made a few silly mistakes along the way, but the rear wheel wasn't as difficult as I'd thought. Though of course I still needed to true it. Full of confidence, I started on the front wheel, expecting to be finished in no time. After three attempts I gave up for the evening. The main problem is that all the holes in the hub for the spokes are all bevelled on one side only, so all the spokes have to be seated on the same side. When the spokes cross it means that one of the spokes doesn't sit in its seat correctly. Obviously I'm lacing it in the wrong way, but I couldn't see the right way at that moment.

Rear wheel..

Front wheel.. going ok, then it all went wrong

More later...