Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread

My chum had Yamaharley decals made up for his Harley/Yam bitsa. No one knows what that means either, but if they can be bothered to ask he's happy to tell them.

Norvill, Triton, Tribsa, there is an ancient tradition of such names, and bikers understand the history and significance of such monikers.

Indeed, Triton, Norvil etc are now recognised classics in their own right, but not sure you could say the same about Norley. I've seen alternatives mentioned such as Harton and Nordon, though I quite liked Narley. Given the frame is the classic featherbed Norton, I went for Norton on the tank in the end. It might cause a raised eyebrow with the rivet counters of the classic world, but they can be ignored lol.

Sadly an idiot damaged the paintwork while fitting the Monza fuel cap... I was livid...as the idiot was me. :(

Spoke to the painter and it can be repainted when he gets back from holiday in a couple of weeks …

https://youtu.be/d2_lDGQ2g6g

About half way through making the new foot levers/pegs. Next step is to machine the bronze bushes which they'll pivot on, and make sure the new parts will fit on the billet mounts already made for the bike. When all the machining is finished, I will of course spend an hour or two polishing them.

Attachments

• june003.JPG
    june003.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 347
  • June006.JPG
    June006.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 342
Test fit of the new levers, we used roller bearings rather than bronze bushes.. still needs polishing of course, though I may have the pegs ceramically anodised..

Attachments

• JUly001.JPG
    JUly001.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 346
  • July007.JPG
    July007.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 345
My alloy Mark 2 gear lever looked good, a pity it didn't work, as it didn't move the splined gear lever enough to actual change gear. So a MK3 version was made, which works but cant say I'm happy with its looks. But at least I've got the option to mount the link rod in a lower position, if it works ok, then I can shorten the lever. Another option is to shorten both the gear change lever and the splined lever too... have to cut it in half, take an inch out of it, reweld it back together and finally have it re chromed. Cant be bothered with all that right now, but maybe something for later..

Attachments

• gearchangefin001.JPG
    gearchangefin001.JPG
    430.9 KB · Views: 339
I don't have as much time to spend on the bikes these days, but I work on them when I can. I've finally completed a full rewire of the Norley using a M-Unit from Moto Gadget, same one as I had fitted to my Merch 131 last year. They make the wiring so much simpler and neater, and also include a built in alarm, so I've just ordered another for the Guzzi. I've not touched the Guzzi for more than a year, but with the Norley almost done (famous last words), the Guzzi has swapped places with the Norley in the conservatory where I can work on it.

Still waiting for the paintwork to be done, I shouldn't have said 'no rush' to the painter.. last August, just called him and been promised it'll be ready the end of next week, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also been doing a few small jobs on the bike, such as adding a stainless screen mesh to the homemade velocity stack and machining a grove in the lock stops to fit an 'O' ring to each to act as a bumper so they wont damage the powder coating on the frame at full lock. Also made a pair of fender mounts which clamp around the fork lowers, means I can use the fender I wanted to use all along. Still lots to do, but (fingers crossed) it'll be running and road legal in time for spring.

Attachments

• vstack5 004.JPG
    vstack5 004.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 282
  • Vstack4 003.JPG
    Vstack4 003.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 275
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 290
Wouldn't your gearshift linkage be more effective (leverage ratio) by shortening the tranny end lever a bit?

Yes, then I wouldn't need such a long lever on the foot change end. I have another splined lever which needs to be cut down by about an inch and rewelded, then rechromed, along equally shortened foot lever. Don't have the time to do that at the moment, so it can wait till I know this set up feels ok in use. Cant make it too short though as the link rod would hit the clutch slave cylinder.

Here are the fork leg clamps which allow me to mount the Ducati front guard I want to use. They mimic the way old Ceriani and Marzocchi forks mount their guards (well sort of). The Showa 43mm forks om the bike have silver painted lowers, which I never liked, so they'll be painted black at some point, with just these mounts being left polished.

Attachments

• guzzipart2pics 002.JPG
    guzzipart2pics 002.JPG
    963.3 KB · Views: 324
Bevelheadmhr said:
Cant make it too short though as the link rod would hit the clutch slave cylinder.
Only shorten the one on the engine, that'll give you very positive shifting.

Got my new paintwork back yesterday, still a few problems to sort out before I try to start the engine up, but slowly getting there. The bike doesn't look its best in this pic as the engine cases need a good polish and the chrome is still covered in WD40..

Attachments

• Norkeyrollout 018a.JPG
    Norkeyrollout 018a.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 273
Here's a different view.. had time to give it a quick polish today, though only on the side you can see..

And the latest vid I made on the build..

Attachments

• Norleyrolloutpolished 047.JPG
    Norleyrolloutpolished 047.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 273
No bullshit man.. This might be the best cafe-racer build I have ever seen... at least for my taste... there is nothing on this bike that doesnt make me drool... well done man

I would love to hear how it sounds at idle and with some revs... and did u delete the kickstart?

Back
Top Bottom