CB450SC nighthawk tracker build

long needed update. Have been busy with other projects and finally got my bike back from welder. This cb450 nighthawk frame is pretty tough to deal with and the airbox is almost a necessity to get it running right, so I had some hurdles to work with.
Overall I think the welder did a decent job fabbing up the rear end. Not bad for someone who is not a bike builder. I pretty much gave him free reign. I had an old upholstered pan that I wanted to try and utilize and I think he was able to work with it pretty well.
There will be large number plates on both sides that will cover airbox.
Hope you like. Not sure I love the back end. Looks kind of stubby. Wish he would have made a little larger of a metal cowl behind uphostery but he was worried about hitting rear wheel. i am pretty happy with new shock mounts. once the frame is powder coated black and the number plates are installed, I think it will look nice,.

I think it looks cool! It doesn't look like every other hooped brat or cafe rear end on the planet, and that's a good thing.

It's looking great man! I'm working on my CB400T right now and I;m running into the problem with the frame. I really like how you did yours so I think I might borrow that idea and tweek it a little for my own purposes.

question, what tank is that? the 400T tank is hideous so I'm looking at getting one that will still mount to the existing frame but will cover up the spot where it bolts in.

calebacm said:
It's looking great man! I'm working on my CB400T right now and I;m running into the problem with the frame. I really like how you did yours so I think I might borrow that idea and tweek it a little for my own purposes.

question, what tank is that? the 400T tank is hideous so I'm looking at getting one that will still mount to the existing frame but will cover up the spot where it bolts in.

Tank is a CB400F. The mounts had to be heavily modified to work with the frame.

some more work done today. I decided to cut off the rear cowl piece since I didn't like it . Now I am left with a simple rear hoop. I will have to make a new seat pan and get new upholstery made. Number plates mounted up. MAC 2-into-1 pipe installed. Now just need to figure out where to hide battery.

That looks great. I think you were right about the seat. Have you thought about a street tracker seat, like one from Hotwing Glass?

interceptor said:
That looks great. I think you were right about the seat. Have you thought about a street tracker seat, like one from Hotwing Glass?

That's a thought. Might check that out.

I think im about sold on the Mac exhaust now... you never see a pic of it on a decent bike... Looks good!

D4N63R said:
I think im about sold on the Mac exhaust now... you never see a pic of it on a decent bike... Looks good!

I would say it is a decent exhaust system. I most likely will be getting rid of the silencer and just keeping the headers. Probably will get a reverse cone silencer from cone engineering.

interceptor said:
Hey Steve, what did u do about the seat?

Haven't decided yet. I think I am just going with a leather, plain seat with a mini bobber style taillight. Not sure I want a fiberglass or metal seat bump or tracker seat. With the number plates, shock mounts, and the metal piece that holds seat hoop I am worried it will be too busy back there. Was probably going to keep it simple.

exploring/carolina said:
Like the seat/frame mod, flat side plates, & front fender. Nice looking build!

thanks.

Progress has been slow due to me still sorting out the turn signals/ taillight issue. Cannot seem to decide what to get and where to mount them.

The ideas eventually come or visiting dealerships that sell bikes like Ducati, Aprilia, and MV Agusta, sometimes give me ideas to work from, too.

exploring/carolina said:
The ideas eventually come or visiting dealerships that sell bikes like Ducati, Aprilia, and MV Agusta, sometimes give me ideas to work from, too.
Or looking thru nearly a million pics online from blogs

Got side plates and the tank back from painter. Turned out really nice. The white has metal flake in it. I really like the way it turned out.
In the meantime, I welded up a mini fender in the back made from a CB200 front fender I had laying around. Installed a mini taillight, side mounted license mount and welded on bradj's battery box. The MAC pipes are mounted as well. Still don't really like the chrome megaphone silencer so I will likely get a reverse cone from cone engineering and ceramic coat it black.

The frame and rear fender will be powder coated gloss black, along with most other small bits. Probably will powder coat the shock springs black or gold too.

Enjoy.

also got this picture sent to me the other day of the seat as its being made. Has a little bump in the back to keep me from sliding off. It will be black with white stitching

Back
Top Bottom