!!!!!!Silent Social Club!!!!!!! - GS400 KZ650 CL100 CB650 GPZ550 RD250

Re: Silent Social Club - GS400 KZ650 CL100 CB650 GPZ550

Looks good, but are you worried your subframe may bend? It looks like it needs a support farther back.

Cl tail piece was once a rear fender of one of the bigger cc bikes.

Plenty strong, only about 8in of leverage after the shock mount. 2 pipes, .095 wall seeing about 80lbs each with rider (160lb) If that bends I will have other problems!

getting there. Fired it up for the first time with rebuilt motor.
97e81968870011e3a188123ae371c52b_7.jpg

How much suspension travel do you think you will have in the back. I love that stance and the proportions, keep up the good work.

Tons, because of the length of the arm in relation to the shock pick up point. With out any thing in the way it could move 10+ in before bottoming out the shock.

Shawn Browne said:

I know you said that swingarm is braced, but I dont see any bracing on the tubes. Got any more pics of the swingarm?

VonYinzer said:
So... The rear of the subframe can drop 10" before the shock bottoms out as is?

having a hard time figuring out what your question is asking exactly.

If say you removed the spring, and the rear tire did not have a tail section to hit under compression, the rear axle has ruffly 10in of movement before physically bottoming out the shock. Hope that answers your question!

hillsy said:
I know you said that swingarm is braced, but I dont see any bracing on the tubes. Got any more pics of the swingarm?

All of the stock tin bracing has been removed and rebuilt out of 1/8in steal plate. Other then wayyyy nicer welds then the factory ones it appears stock with added tabs for the shock.

Shawn Browne said:
having a hard time figuring out what your question is asking exactly.

If say you removed the spring, and the rear tire did not have a tail section to hit under compression, the rear axle has ruffly 10in of movement before physically bottoming out the shock. Hope that answers your question!

What I'm asking (sorry for the vague question) is how much travel is there before the shock bottoms out? Numbers without the spring don't matter. For example, if you were to attach some ratchet straps to the frame and swinger and tighten them until the shock was bottomed out... How far would the frame travel?

Shawn Browne said:
All of the stock tin bracing has been removed and rebuilt out of 1/8in steal plate. Other then wayyyy nicer welds then the factory ones it appears stock with added tabs for the shock.

Not good enough. Sorry man. You need to brace the legs. There is now nothing keeping the swingarm (and wheel) from becoming a wobbly and unstable mess while cornering or heavy acceleration. There are a bunch of good examples here of how to properly brace a swinger, and about 1000000 more floating around online.

If you were to strap down to the floor there is 4in until tire hits tail section, and with no tail section it can compress with enough force 10in as said until shock can no longer move as it's bottomed out.

As for the rear swing arm brace, have you personally had experience with them flexing, or can you show me someone who has had issues? I'm open to others experiences, but from my personal experience building tube structures for race cars, as well as control arms and other suspension components the .095 1.5 in tube that is used for the stock swing arm should be more then enough. There is no added or lost stability horizontally in the structure to make the wheel "flop" around. There is added stress to the vertical plane on the arms, but I am confident it will hold up to potholes and other extreme compresstion situations the bike may see. Always interested in real life issues, feel free to post them up!

Shawn Browne said:
As for the rear swing arm brace, have you personally had experience with them flexing, or can you show me someone who has had issues? I'm open to others experiences, but from my personal experience building tube structures for race cars, as well as control arms and other suspension components the .095 1.5 in tube that is used for the stock swing arm should be more then enough. There is no added or lost stability horizontally in the structure to make the wheel "flop" around. There is added stress to the vertical plane on the arms, but I am confident it will hold up to potholes and other extreme compresstion situations the bike may see. Always interested in real life issues, feel free to post them up!

That's all good until you start to take a corner. When a motorcycle leans it wants to push the tire upright and you have large twisting forces on the rear axle. With the twin shocks this is controlled at (or very close to) the axle. With the monoshock you don't have this control.

The factory swingarms on early 80's bikes were barely strong enough as they were. It needs bracing.

wheels were off to get some new rubber, added bracing to the swing arm as i didnt have any reason not to do it while it was apart. Rubber got back, chain installed and got to take it for a burn around the block!!!

019c722a96ae11e3a71a12e0d8b1a977_7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom