Tachometer installation

café (r)acer

Hey guys,

I'm gonna put a tachometer on my ace, but I have never done this before.
I will probably be doing at school, I'm studying to become a car mechanic.
I've got the wiring diagram and I have seen all the bunched up wires under the tank, I'm just not sure where to connect the tachometer to.
Does anybody know?

the tacho feed on my acewell just piggy backed onto the positive lead going to the coil (in the frame at the front under the tank)

What make is the tachometer? There a several places to pick up the signal, the coil positive is probably the most convenient.

Crazy

They are supposed to give maximum torque at 7500 and maximum power at 8500 so I don't think you would have much of anything past 10 grand!

Pushrod motors like the 'Ace' are not really suitable for pushing to stratospheric revs, a DOHC motor would be better for that.

The fattest mid-range you can achieve really enhances the riding pleasure of our "post-performance era" bikes.

Crazy

Hey crazy ... was looking at fitting this on my bike, presumably it's an easy install ? ... any tips ?

Cheers,
Haz

Attachments

• 2712659265604040_4.jpg
    2712659265604040_4.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 2,072
Hazza00 said:
Hey crazy ... was looking at fitting this on my bike, presumably it's an easy install ? ... any tips ?

Cheers,
Haz

That's the one I bought.
Will post the circuit diagram tomorrow, I left it at school.

café (r)acer said:
That's the one I bought.

... thanks ! ... btw, did it install OK? It was a cheap unit. Presumably it fit easily on the LHS of the non-speedo unit?

Haz

café (r)acer said:
That's the one I bought.

Hi there - my tacho arrived, but no circuit diagram !! - any idea on what wires go where ?!!! (if you have the circuit diagram handy, it will be very much appreciated ...

Haz

Hazza00 said:
Hi there - my tacho arrived, but no circuit diagram !! - any idea on what wires go where ?!!! (if you have the circuit diagram handy, it will be very much appreciated ...

Haz
At the bottom of this ebay advert it has a list of wire colours.

Wayne

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291007338937?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3501wt_958

Internal night light, red and blue cables for light
Black line lock positive electrode
Green line lock negative electrode
Yellow line contacts signal
Some models need to attach high voltage signal line

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
Internal night light, red and blue cables for light
Black line lock positive electrode
Green line lock negative electrode
Yellow line contacts signal
Some models need to attach high voltage signal line

Crazy

Thnks for the info guys ... just need some further clarification ...

1. Power to the tacho = Black (+ve) and Green (-ve) ? ... what does "lock" mean ? Is that the 'Ignition Switch' ? Do I simply splice the Black on Tacho to the Black on the ignition, and Green on Tacho to the Green on the Ignition switch?

2. Yellow = input signal to tacho ? ... do I splice it to the cable that connects to the small 'spade terminal' on the coil in the pic below? or to the thicker black/orange cable?

3. Night light = Orange (+ve) and Blue (-ve) ? ... I'm confused - which wires to I splice them to on the stock harness?

(sorry for the questions, need to double check before I go cutting wires. Gonna try to do this tonight ...

Cheers,
Haz

Attachments

• speedometer02.jpg
    speedometer02.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 5,514
  • orange-ht-lead.jpg
    orange-ht-lead.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,124
Hazza00 said:
Thnks for the info guys ... just need some further clarification ...

1. Power to the tacho = Black (+ve) and Green (-ve) ? ... what does "lock" mean ? Is that the 'Ignition Switch' ? Do I simply splice the Black on Tacho to the Black on the ignition, and Green on Tacho to the Green on the Ignition switch?

2. Yellow = input signal to tacho ? ... do I splice it to the cable that connects to the small 'spade terminal' on the coil in the pic below? or to the thicker black/orange cable?

3. Night light = Orange (+ve) and Blue (-ve) ? ... I'm confused - which wires to I splice them to on the stock harness?

(sorry for the questions, need to double check before I go cutting wires. Gonna try to do this tonight ...

Cheers,
Haz

Hi Haz,

I believe that both (-ve)s should be spliced straight into the ground wire on the bike, it is the solid green wire that runs from most things on the front end, lights and switches etc. to the battery. The black (+ve) I would wire into the ignition switch or a wire coming from it so that it's not permanently on, this is the black wire on the bike as well. The back light positive I would splice into the brown wire, should be connected to the pilot lights and other back lights.

Not sure specifically about the HT lead that you've posted but I wouldn't start cutting into the thick main wire, it's thick for a reason and I can't imagine it will do the tachometer much good if subjected to the voltage of the HT lead. It seems it would make sense that you could use the spade terminal but perhaps someone can definitely say?

Here's a link to the wiring diagram that was posted on an earlier thread, hopefully might make more sense. http://www.sharetheexperience.co.uk/ACE/images/AceWiring.png

Hope that's of some help,
Ricky

Cheers,
Haz

Hi Haz,

I can only help with the night light, just splice into the speedo lamb wires brown+v and green -v.

Liam

thanks for all the help guys! ... bigger job than I first thought it would be ... need to un-ravel the wiring loom and expose the stock harness wires, extend those on the tacho, join extension wires, heat shrink, wrap up again, etc.

Will tacke it over the weekend in better light and after getting more bits from the hardware store.

Was even considering the 'plug and play' option from 00racing (speedo + tacho twin combo) but put off by the price !

Haz

回覆: Tachometer installation

has anyone known the setting of sensor point in KOSO D64 Speedo meter?

it is currently set it at 01P but it kind of gives me false speed as i have reached 360km/hr by 3rd gear with 4000RPM.

joseph

Sent from my IM-A880S using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom