The Chinese Tracker/Scrambler thing...

dualero

Been Around the Block
Hi there folks, my name is Guillermo Suarez and I'm from Venezuela. I have been visiting this site from some time now and really liking what I see. I've been drawn to the cafe racer and scrambler style of bikes and since I got a bike around a year ago I decided I'll modify my bike. But now here's the thing... *drum roll* ...my bike is a Chinese commuter bike.

This kind of bikes have been gaining exponential popularity down here for being uber cheap, reliable and "almost" up to par when talking about power compared to Japanese bikes.

Anyway, I was surfing and searching through the forum and realized that there was no correct sub-forum to post this thread. I posted here as really had no other option.

You would wonder why would I want to modify such (an ugly) bike: it is my DD and its what I have now, I cant afford any other bike for the moment and because of how my bike is now, some restoration would be very nice. So I thought why not make my bike prettier and at the same time modify it and enjoy the process of doing so?

This is my bike (but Black):

thumb_674.jpg

The project is going as much as a Scrambler/Tracker I can get only using Chinese parts as I cant afford any other brands, It's cheap, easy to get as here we don't have bike junkyards or any bikes to restore on classifieds.

Would this build be suitable here? Would you be interested in seeing this build? Thanks.

First off this is what i'll be working with

this is 6 months ago:

p4pb9654892.jpg

This pic is on its way to change fork and fork clamps

p4pb10414386.jpg

Here's with the fork changed, as the new fork is 6 centimeters longer I lost the ability to use the stand hahahaha, also in this pic you can see that I have the bike on the stand and over 2 blocks of wood, this is one of my firts attempts to find the new geometry of the bike

p4pb10414387.jpg

Then i was looking for days at those pics, I realized that the rear end is to short in comparison to the front end, thing I'm sorting soon.

JustinLonghorn said:
What is the front mag (Wheel) from? I love it.

Thats her original front wheel! that wheel I'll keep, I also be getting a GN125 rear 16" wheel as the rear wheel makes me puke everytime I go near the bike HAHAHAHAHA

Looking forward to seeing the progress of this project. No doubt this sort of thing is going to become very common as these bikes flood the market.

I want this project to make the bike become (look like) some sort of tracker/scrambler style. As this bike is my daily driver I really want to enhance the performance in paved roads, this means change both, tires an suspension. This bike is has a 125cc engine, so the bike is pretty small. In the rear I'm changing the 18" wheel for a GN125 rear wheel that's 16". The 18" at the front will stay that way until I find a 16" matching front wheel.

You guys would wonder why I'm reducing the wheel diameter, this is due to not having good availability of tires in 18" size here in my country. Another important aspect is that reducing the wheel diameter I can get a meatier tire, have a more "motard" look, and maintain, within a certain amount, the overall tire size so I can leave alone the pinion and sprocket ratio and not mess with the almost insignificant power this little engine has. Can't go to a bigger tire (diametrically).

This post was originally posted on chop cult, but then realized that the site is too chopper/bobber oriented and this build had little interest, that then decayed. Although the response on chop cult was low, some people suggested that scrambler bikes have a smaller clearance under the bike. Knowing this though I would not like the bike to be lower than what is seating right now, the reason to keep this height is that here in Caracas our streets are a horrible mess of nonuniform, pot-hole plagued asphalt with speed reducers every 20/30m sometimes. I also run mostly through a lot of mountain roads with really steep, ups and downs, and really awkward steep transitions and I would really appreciate having a more upright, relaxed, neutral position over the bike, like what you have on a motard bike, and good arm travel in both directions so is comfortable for the style/type of riding I do.

I'll be posting some progress to get this thread up to date. Shoot your opinions suggestions! I'll be needing them :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

All right, updating!

So, 4-3 weeks ago:

Some Headlight mounts I made, they slide on the fork stanchions and clamp in position

here are after welding and drilling

p4pb10421006.jpg

p4pb10421007.jpg

Cut to length and making adjustments to drill the bolt holes

p4pb10421008.jpg

Headlight mounted

p4pb10421010.jpg

From above

p4pb10421011.jpg

Yesterday made little advance in frame building by de-tabbing all unnecessary elements welded to the frame.

p4pb10421014.jpg

p4pb10421019.jpg

Then I begin to experiment with the length of the rear swingarm, and as said before, something between 6 and 8 cm would help a lot with the looks of the bike and allowing me to raise the rear end a bit.

this are 2 paintings that I have fiddled with. Notice they have the "long" swingarm and the fork extended all the way.

1)
p4pb10421289.jpg

2)
p4pb10421292.jpg

I like the raised seat one a bit more. What do you guys think?

Also made a jig to bend my rear hoop. Made some 90° bends and took 2 for the rear hoop. The bend was made with the "sand bending" technique: round tube, filled with sand, and plugged in the ends. With the help of a torch, bend the tube around the circular jig and voila, 90° bends.

Here are the tube bent , and the pieces presented over the frame to see how it's turning.

p4pb10421314.jpg

2-1 weeks ago:

all right guys Ive been really busy, but somehow managed to make some little updates to the bike, i had a front fender that came with the new fork. Yesterday I had the chance to trim it, and test it on the bike, this is how it looks:

p4pb10426930.jpg

p4pb10426926.jpg

Fender is a bit crooked as it was held momentarily by tape, just to see how it looked. what do you guys think? After looking at the pics, would it be better for the look to trim some height on the sides of the fender front and back? Making it just a bit thinner in the ends but not in the center, and leaving the length as is now? any other suggestions are welcome.

Another thing I had the chance to make, is this tiny fella:

p4pb10426921.jpg

a crankcase breather filter out of a universal fuel filter. I had the hose just hanging down, now it looks a lot better. Also I managed to give the bike a good clean, as you can see.

*For DTT users: I wrote this and never uploaded any pics, I don't know what went wrong hahaha"

Cheers!

1 Week - Today:

Hello people!
So today was my first real work day on the bike since I last posted.

First I removed the seat and rear fender and began taking measures. Marked and cut the end of the tubes to make the seat loop.

4ejyra2e.jpg

Had the tubes cut

uru8y7e7.jpg

e7ebyzet.jpg

Made the loop from 2 90° bends I made sand bending the tube.

4y5yjuha.jpg

Then cleaned the welds.

END OF UPDATE

Well this is all I have dinero until now on the bike, tomorrow and the weekend will be days to work on the bike, so some more progress is coming soon. Hope you like how's turning. Greetings

That first image screams Jincheng to me. Did I get the brand right?

Very nice work so far mate. I am looking forward to what you can achieve with this.

Also that engine bears a striking resemblance to the Skyteam "Ace" engine. I wonder if the 150cc kits would fit....

dualero said:
Hi there folks, my name is Guillermo Suarez and I'm from Venezuela. I have been visiting this site from some time now and really liking what I see. I've been drawn to the cafe racer and scrambler style of bikes and since I got a bike around a year ago I decided I'll modify my bike. But now here's the thing... *drum roll* ...my bike is a Chinese commuter bike.

This kind of bikes have been gaining exponential popularity down here for being uber cheap, reliable and "almost" up to par when talking about power compared to Japanese bikes.

Anyway, I was surfing and searching through the forum and realized that there was no correct sub-forum to post this thread. I posted here as really had no other option.

You would wonder why would I want to modify such (an ugly) bike: it is my DD and its what I have now, I cant afford any other bike for the moment and because of how my bike is now, some restoration would be very nice. So I thought why not make my bike prettier and at the same time modify it and enjoy the process of doing so?

This is my bike (but Black):

thumb_674.jpg

The project is going as much as a Scrambler/Tracker I can get only using Chinese parts as I cant afford any other brands, It's cheap, easy to get as here we don't have bike junkyards or any bikes to restore on classifieds.

Would this build be suitable here? Would you be interested in seeing this build? Thanks.

Yes - suitable, and yes let's see your build !

That's the whole point of this hobby of ours - no point all "being different together" with yet another fuggin Gixer or what the fuck ever.

Personal input is what it's all about - and if that's what you can afford for now, that's a starter for ten. Sell it for a huge profit when completed and put the money into the next project, etc.,etc.,etc.

You have long skinny forks on that bike, and with said road conditions, you really need to think about a fork brace. I know they aren't cheap, but probably cheaper than having to replace the front end...

Re: Re: The Chinese Tracker/Scrambler thing...

ApriliaBill said:
You have long skinny forks on that bike... ...but probably cheaper than having to replace the front end...

Could you elaborate on this subject? Why would that happen? Thanks

Ever see a pole vaulter? Problem is your forks are not as flexible. The longer your forks, the easier to flex them, but if they flex too far, you have a serious issue, such as a bent fork or even cracked or broken. Being you can't enlarge the diameter of your forks, you need to brace them. This will also help with the handling. http://www.jerseyh-d.com/images/thumbs/0057670.jpg

Would it work to make knew that attaches to the fender bolts? I can make one?

More updates on the progress:

This is how I made my rear hoop, fist after making the hoop with the bends, and cutting the frame, Tacked everithing together and then fired it up.

ata9ubut.jpg

enu5aqu3.jpg

rybe6u4u.jpg

Then lengthened the rear swingarm about 5cm to make the bike a little more stable and get a more balanced look as I think the rear wheel is too much "under" the bike, as if it's not rearward enough.

ytasagyp.jpg

rera4e6u.jpg

e2avu7eg.jpg

yrytupa4.jpg

This is how the bike looked like before lengthening the swingarm

3emuvydy.jpg

This is after and rear hoop added, and rear fender removed

mu2ysu2y.jpg

Reinforced the hell out of the new plates. I welded the to the inside of my swingarm drop outs, I'll make sure to get that spacing back to stock.

ehu2e5aq.jpg

a9u9ydy7.jpg

myrypy8e.jpg

Also got fork boots, and installed them, they surely have given the bike a little more "body" as the fork legs are a bit small

zarypuva.jpg

In the process:

3arapeqa.jpg

qehuneda.jpg

Days before I first tested a fender I will be using for the front, to remove the the ugly ass plastic one I have right now. (focus on the front one, the rear won't be as is on the next pic

ry8evana.jpg

After the boots where done, tested the fender at a different height. I'm more pleased with the low height one better.

a3yte4yg.jpg

I have a question for you guys, should I cut the fender in a way that let's me make its curvature a bit more relaxed? So it follows better the curve of the wheel, did I explained my self?

So people I've have been away for something time now. Protests here have been hard and long. I've managed to document most of the transformation but not as detailed as I would. I don't have a shed or a garage, so work has to be done as quick as possible because working on the floor is not comfy at all. So I'll get to sleep and tomorrow I'll post the pics and explain a little. Cheers!

DISCLAIMER: Sorry if the images don't work, I've just realized that is happening. I'll fix it in when I get some time now in the day. Bye! END OF DISCLAIMER.

Well things have changed really drastic in reference of what you have seen until now of my bike. I now heading the building towards a street tracker and would really appreciate some input to what to do to get there.

First thing I did was to get a 16" Chinese GN125 rear wheel copy, BUT, for disk brake (upgrade I'm going for)

2014-01-28%2016.47.18.jpg

Got some Empire "Speed 200" (Chinese EN125 copy) rear wheel caliper mount, caliper and pump.

2014-01-29%2018.43.12.jpg

Removing old rear shocks frame mounts with my pal nico helping out.

2014-02-09%2017.49.02.jpg

2014-02-09%2017.49.12.jpg

2014-02-09%2018.28.57.jpg

De-Tabbing

2014-02-09%2018.47.13.jpg

Bought an Empire "Owen 150" (Chinese GN125 copy) tank. Only Chinese inexpensive tank with a relatively good shape to it. As I said before I'm trying to make this project with as many Chinese bike parts as posible in order to keep costs down, I'm still going good. What do you guys think? Does this tank have a good look?

2014-02-10%2019.40.21.jpg

2014-02-10%2019.41.06.jpg

(don't mind the wheel and unfinished rear frame/hoop)

2014-02-11%2014.54.59.jpg

2014-02-09%2018.47.13.jpg

Cleaning the frame

All right guys, I'm back from the dead (the build has been evolving) although I have not posted over a month.
I have left this thread unattended for too many days. This has to come to an end.

Now iI'll present you the evolution my build has taken and why. Being my first build I made some mistakes, that have been corrected, but cost me some time and even had me wondering if what I was going after could be accomplished.

So I'll try to post as many pics as I can, and caption them to make this read enjoyable. Let's Begin!!

As you can see in the last pics I posted, I have made some swingarm extensions (truly ghetto quality) of about 8 cm (roughly 3in).
Now you would wonder why I wanted to make the swingarm longer? As a fisrt time builder I did not take into account the size of the stock tank, and did not look for another option to make the bike look better. As the stock tank was too long front to back, it made the rear wheel to look to be "under the bike", like if it was too close to the engine, rather that being on the back. So I thought "lets extend the swingarm, it should end up looking good". In the end all I did was mess up a swingarm and lost some time.

So before going nuts and ruining some bike parts, in the meantime I was also going forward, here I'm de-tabbing and cleaning the frame from unnecessary elements.

p5pb10421014.jpg

p5pb10421019.jpg

Here we have some muck ups I made in paint just to see what I could accomplish with all my stock parts, this subframe arrangement would have needed some really long shocks.

p4pb10421289.jpg

p4pb10421292.jpg

Another important thing to take into account is that this bike came stock with 18" wheels. Looking at those tires one would say lets get some better and meatier rubber, but the bike being a 125cc engine there's no much power nor torque to dig, so having a bigger 18" tire on those rims (awfully horrible rims) would just make the bike to be less responsive. I could just have gone this route anyway by changing pinion and sprocket, but the bike is so small that those rims would simply not work for me.

I kept on going forward on the frame building and made the rear loop my self by sand-bending some round tube with a jig I made.

Here Im mocking up the loop to the frame
p4pb10421314.jpg

Then began to cut the frame
p4pb10894100.jpg

p4pb10894102.jpg

p4pb10894107.jpg

(Sorry for the shitty cellphone pics, I do not own a camera myself and I work on a underground parking lot so no good lighting either)

Making the rails fit the loop, to tack it in place (got it 5mm narrower than the rails)
p4pb10894112.jpg

Welded in place
p4pb10894123.jpg

"Final" product
p4pb10894124.jpg

Cleaning the welds
p4pb10894125.jpg

Now ill post the pics of where everything went wrong hahahaha I'll just upload this, although those changes never made it to the last stages of the build, I made some interesting discoveries and learned from the mistake.

Extending the swingarm :-X
p4pb10894127.jpg

p4pb10894129.jpg

p4pb10894131.jpg

p4pb10894132.jpg

The bike with extensions finished (all this mess was caused by not using another tank before doing the mod)
p4pb10894134.jpg

Reinforced the shit out of the extending plates
p4pb10894160.jpg

p4pb10894161.jpg

p4pb10894174.jpg

After days of lost work and effort, I managed to find a tank that would suit me well.
Here I am on my bike, I'm 6'2" so there you can appreciate the size of the bike, in the rigt side of the pic you can spot a GN125 Chinese copy, from which bike I selected the tank from to work from now on

p4pb10894176.jpg

Fork boots
p4pb10894177.jpg

Then I kept on going wrong. As I was realizing that the swingarm was too long, I tried to go backwards.
p4pb10894190.jpg

p4pb10894186.jpg

p4pb10894192.jpg

Finishing and cleaning my mistake hahahahaha
p4pb10894194.jpg

Bike with swingarm extended but shortened
p4pb10894195.jpg

After giving it a lot of thought, reading for days on this forum and trying to have as much information as I could, I began (with my friend nico) to finally get the angle grinder near the frame, and began cutting away.

As I pointed since the first post my intention was to have a bike that has a relaxed position. I was looking for a scrambler/tracker look.
Looking at the frame for some time I visualized that I couldn't get that look with the lines the frame originally had.

First we removed the upper shock mounts from the frame
p4pb10894199.jpg

p4pb10894200.jpg

Frame clean from tabs and upper shock mounts
p4pb10894211.jpg

p4pb10894212.jpg

Then I finally got the tank I was looking for (cost me 10 bucks hahahaha SCORE!).
First mock up of the tank. Notice in the first pic where the stock tank mount/bolts are in comparison with the new tank rubber holes.
p4pb10894214.jpg

More cleaning
p4pb10894224.jpg

p4pb10894227.jpg

Then I cut the tank mount off the frame, attached it to the new tank and tacked it in place

First mock up
p4pb10894239.jpg

p4pb10894241.jpg

BUT, first things first, if I was going to mod the frame I could not weld the tank mount to the frame yet as the position could change.
Tacked some flat stock to the frame as a reinforcement, before doing the first cut with the angle grinder.
p4pb10894242.jpg

First cut, notice the grinded spot on the frame tube that comes from under, that's where the front part of the frame rail was originally welded
p4pb10894243.jpg

Getting the frame to where it had to be
p4pb10894244.jpg

Adjusting
p4pb10894248.jpg

p4pb10894250.jpg

Frame rails in position and welded, now comes the tank.
Last mockup
p4pb10894253.jpg

Tacked in place
p4pb10894254.jpg

When I bent the frame to this last position, lines where awful on the bike, had to fiddle around just to get them right.
Too High
p4pb10894255.jpg

Too low
p4pb10894256.jpg

Just Right
p4pb10894261.jpg

p4pb10894266.jpg

Making a rough mock up of where the upper shock mount would have to be positioned.
By this time I still had the extended swingarm
p4pb10894276.jpg

Fabricated some shock plates from 3mm steel, here I am tacking them in place
p4pb10894281.jpg

Welded, with a reinforcement to my frame welds in front of the shock plates
p4pb10894284.jpg

p4pb10894287.jpg

Cleaned
p4pb10894289.jpg

p4pb10894293.jpg

As I finished the top part of the frame, I tried to make a seat pan battery box from scratch using cardboard as a template and then trying to transfer that design to fiberglass.

UNSUCCESSFUL.

Fiberglass resin I had was out of date (did not work well) so ditched this seat pan design.
p4pb10894295.jpg

p4pb10894304.jpg

p4pb10894312.jpg

p4pb10894318.jpg

Bought some RFY Shocks, or some replicas of the famous Chinese ones, the aluminum casts on the shocks are exactly the same as the RFY's but they do not have the RFY letters on them.
This shocks came cheap as this are stock equipment on a very popular Chinese bike being sold here in Venezuela.
Drilled away, and welded the bolts to the plates, then installed the shocks.
By the time I was making this progress, I did also ditched the extended swingarm and bought a stock one again.
I was trying to make as much progress as posible before the stock swingarm arrived in the mail.
p4pb10894321.jpg

So talking rims and tires again. As the bike is very small, and I wanted bigger rubber I found a GN125 Chinese copy rear rim that uses a disc brake instead of the drum one. This rim is 16" size, having this setup I had lots of options on rubber to select. I ended up buying Pirelli's MT75 in 120/80-16 size. The other side of having this rim is that, as I had tried to make the stock drum brake to perform as I wanted but never made that happen. Enter the new rear disc brake, problem solved.
p4pb10894328.jpg

Tire installed. Comparison with the stock rear rim/tire combo (3.25-18")
p5pb10894329.jpg

NOW I HAVE A ROLLER!! Mock up on bike, new swingarm as well
p4pb10894330.jpg

p4pb10894331.jpg

p4pb10894334.jpg

More parts arrived, rear disc and rear fender
p4pb10894339.jpg

Having a rear disc brake let me wondering where I would mount the rear brake pump.
Removed the right side passenger footpeg mount to have the frame clear of obstacles and fabed and welded a base for the master cilinder.
I used the original brake pedal and pivot to activate the master cylinder, just bent the tab where the brake linkage attached to, to reach the MC. Then fabricated a brake pedal using the stock one. Everything in place.
p4pb10894341.jpg

Having a roller and looking at the frame i had to cut the loop just to shorten the rear of the bike a bit, seeing as the loop hanged too far back.
Then mocked up some up swept loop angles. Ended up going flat.
p4pb10894345.jpg

p4pb10894347.jpg

p4pb10894349.jpg

p4pb10894352.jpg

p4pb10894359.jpg

As I tried unsuccessfully to make a batterybox/seatpan out of fiberglass I opted to mount the battery to the swingarm, feature I think looks cool.
The battery used here was for measures only. I had a totally black one that blends right into the bike.
The battery is mounted to the right side of the swingarm in order to let the chain pass by it
p4pb10894382.jpg

p4pb10894384.jpg

p4pb10894386.jpg

p4pb10894391.jpg

Frame cut some more on the back.
Here I had a roller that resembles more of a scrambler than the stock bike looked like.
I'm missing the rear disc brake to fit correctly (had to machine it down to fit. Too big of a diameter).
Next thing to fab was the brake detent on the swingarm for the caliper mount, connect all the hoses, fit some pads and bleed the brake.
p4pb10894392.jpg

Mocking up the frame length and rear fender trimmed down aswell
p4pb10894395.jpg

p4pb10894396.jpg

I had to cut the exhaust due to the fact that the new brake pedal was on the way. Left it open header until I have some scrap tubing from where to fab a muffler, made a bend on the exhaust as I'm planning to run it going to the left and coming under the bike exiting by the right side of the bike just in front of the rear tire, where the center stand hanged from
p4pb10894397.jpg

Important fabing update.
As the 3mm plate used for the rear shock mounts was too thin, I made some reinforcements that were welded to the bolt heads, and then to a brace that was welded to the frame.
p4pb10894398.jpg

Shock Reinforcement on upper frame brace
p4pb10894417.jpg

Made a seatpan out of wood (cheap, easy to work on. Bad thing is, is too thick. What the hell)
p4pb10894400.jpg

p4pb10894403.jpg

p4pb10894410.jpg

p4pb10894412.jpg

p4pb10894415.jpg

A friend of mine, had an old seat laying around. Used its foam to fabricate mine.
p4pb10894422.jpg

p4pb10894424.jpg

p4pb10894425.jpg

Got the pan in position, fabed some mounts and drilled the pan and frame.
Mounted the bolts and torqued them.
As I was not going to be able to reach the bolt heads on the pan (would be covered by the foam and fabric) welded a thin plate to each of the bolt heads to fasten between them so I could just use a ratchet and socket from underneath the bike to tighten up the pan to the frame.

Then glued the foam to the pan and began to trim foam away until I had the shape I had in mind.
p4pb10894426.jpg

p4pb10894430.jpg

p4pb10894431.jpg

p4pb10894433.jpg

p4pb10894439.jpg

p4pb10894440.jpg

p4pb10894441.jpg

p4pb10894442.jpg

p4pb10894443.jpg

p4pb10894445.jpg

Detail of the seatpan mounts and, shortened and welded rear loop.
Also final mock up of the rear fender.
Notice it's held by cable ties.
p4pb10894448.jpg

p4pb10894456.jpg

Fender mounted to the frame
p4pb10894458.jpg

p4pb10894463.jpg

Bike was ready to roll. Rattle can painted the tank as the title states the bike is black and had to go black.
p4pb10894471.jpg

Next mod I made was to get another 16" rear wheel to go on the front.
This is to have both tires as fat as I could without going too fat trying to accomplish the street tracker look, sort of "old super moto" look. Bought the rim, had the tire mounted and bolted right in place with some axle adapters I turned in the lathe at uni.

Also had the seat upholstered, and the tank painted black by a friend that works powder coating.

p4pb10894479.jpg

p4pb10894488.jpg

p4pb10894497.jpg

p4pb10894503.jpg

p4pb10894509.jpg

p4pb10894518.jpg

At this time I'm unable to make the front wheel work in the bike.
I can install it, but rotor bolts do not clear the front caliper mount.
On this rim, rotor bolts are more to the outside on the rim hub, and the caliper mount is on their way.
I'll be machining the fork leg in order to get the caliper mount 6mm to the outside so the rotor bolts can clear it.
I'll have to wait until next week in order to do that, will be a free job in the university with the help of some machining technician
(Detailed pics on this subject coming up)

Detail of the tank powder coat paint.
p4pb10894524.jpg

p4pb10894525.jpg

p4pb10894526.jpg

Now whats left to do is:
- Fab some tail light/licence plate mount
- Drill some holes for the indicators
- Mount Indicators
- Wire the bike (has only ignition wiring now)
- Weld the rear fender front mount on the frame
- Coat the frame (after all welding and grinding is done)
- Finally adapt the front wheel after machining fork leg
- Try to get the mirrors under the handlebars (would ditch them too, but not having them in Venezuela = Death)

This is it for now, hope you like what you see.
As for any questions or suggestions, just shoot them away. I'll answer ASAP.
If by any chance there is something confusing in my writing, just point it out (quote me) and I'll make myself clear no problem whatsoever.

Cheers Guys! Enjoi!

Back
Top Bottom