Starting the Ace

vonmighty

Skyteam Ace 125
Hey guys, im finding it takes a fair bit of effort getting the ace going, even when its been ridden and still warm.
I use the choke every time as that is the only thing that seems to get it going.

Any tips on fixing this?

Can't help with this.

I don't have the electric starter, and the choke has long been removed, but it start in a few kicks even after sitting for a week.

However, I don't have the EGR, I've replaced the pipe, and re-jetted the carby.

Crazy

vonmighty said:
The EGR and carby are the first things on the list...

Cheers,
VM

Mine was shit to start/run for the first 100kms (both kick/electric start). It would stall super easy too when cold.

EGR remove was key. I never use choke now and plan to remove it. Weight saving?

ChrisBNE said:
Mine was shit to start/run for the first 100kms (both kick/electric start). It would stall super easy too when cold.

EGR remove was key. I never use choke now and plan to remove it. Weight saving?

Chris, did you remove the plate altogether or just get a blanking plate?

vonmighty said:
Chris, did you remove the plate altogether or just get a blanking plate?

I ordered EGR plate from OOracing (along with new jets).

The EGR valve comes from the right hand side of the cylinder, and then loops back towards the carb to the valve itself, which then feeds into the carby by a rubber tube. Take it all off. The rubber tube you can either take off and fill the hole in the carb with a screw, or put a screw in the rubber hose and tie it off out of the way.

This is really rough

But the Top right circle is where it comes out of hte engine. This is where hte blanking plate goes. Unbolt from the cylinder head and replace with the blanking plate.

The lower left circle is where the valve is. Just unbolt this from the frame and take off.

The arrow is pointing to the rubber tube which goes from the valve (lower left circle) and then feeds back into the carby manifold into the cylinder.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    483 KB · Views: 773
And you can just see the little black 6mmx6mm grub screw I used to block the hole in the top of the carb manifold, I did this so I could remove the black pipe and brass nipple.

7D0D1EFF-6DD3-434C-8676-7EA6E4B7AE33-183-00000042E02467B4_zps27c45f46.jpg

It feeds exhaust back through the intake to help reduce nitrogen oxide emission. On a 125 cc bike it is ridiculous.

To quote Wikipedia:
"Because NOx forms primarily when a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen is subjected to high temperature, the lower combustion chamber temperatures caused by EGR reduces the amount of NOx the combustion generates (though at some loss of engine efficiency)."

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
It feeds exhaust back through the intake to help reduce nitrogen oxide emission.

Crazy

Hi Crazy ... would I need to re-jet the carby if I only removed the EGR but kept the stock airbox and stock pipes (incl. cat) ?

(heard that the fines for hot having a cat is more than what my bike's worth !)

Haz

FWIW its actually Secondary Air Injection on these bikes - no significant connection to the intake tract just the "vacuum operating" take off from the inlet .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection

EGR or SAI I've removed and blanked mine too ! ;)

Back
Top Bottom