www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Project Rani - Yamaha SR250 Build - aiming to stay under $2.5k  (Read 9021 times)

Offline zap2504

Re: Project Rani - Yamaha SR250 Build - aiming to stay under $2.5k
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2014, 18:08:30 »
You need to learn how to read.

I said rebuilding the motor and porting it will wake it up. I claimed nothing about the velocity stack doing anything.
I think someone else needs to learn how to read. I said that you cannot prove that running a velocity stack/carb mods increased your engine's power output (and I have not seen anyone else prove it either) whether it is "running strong" or not. I did talk to re-ringing (which is a part of engine rebuilding), porting (which is a change to the internal head passages to increase gas flow and is modification not rebuilding), and shaving the head (which reduces the amount of space in the combustion chamber and increases compression ratio and is modification not rebuilding). If re-ringing (or rebuilding) will "wake up" your engine then it is not currently making the same power that a stock engine in good tune (with an OEM air box) would. And I still stand by the statement that porting the head in a good-running SR250 engine will give little benefit compared to the overall cost. Neither will shaving the head. Now if you want to increase displacement by using an XT350 cylinder/piston...
/rant mode off/
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2014, 18:15:18 by zap2504 »

Offline asfi99

« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2014, 21:50:16 »
So i got the Seat from MotoLanna and it would be tricky to install it on the bike. Anybody install it yet ?

Basically the two metal pieces have no where to go under the fuel tank and i will have to cut them (in width) in half to get them to go under the tank.

I also have to drill two holes in the frame of the bike to make room for the two screws that goes in the back of the seat. I will also have to drill the holes at an angle cause the holes dont really sit right on top of the frame.

Any tips on how to best install this seat ?

On a separate note i really do love the seat its black seat with white stiching. Goes really well with the bike.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2014, 21:53:19 by asfi99 »

Offline cosworth

« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2014, 00:41:29 »
There is no way to install the seat without fabricating a mount front and back along with an undertray of some sorts. Look at my build thread and you'll see how I did it.
1981 SR250 café hot rod (sold)
1976 XS360 collector plates
1980 XS400 (on the bench)
1981 XS400 (in pieces)
2017 Husqvarna 701 enduro
Livin' the dream in western Canuckistan

Offline asfi99

« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2014, 01:46:03 »
There is no way to install the seat without fabricating a mount front and back along with an undertray of some sorts. Look at my build thread and you'll see how I did it.

I did and i cant figure out how u did that :/

Offline asfi99

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2014, 02:48:11 »
Slow but steady progress as i can only work on the bike on the weekends. Still fidling with the seat but was able to get it to mount on the motorcycle, i will likely need to re-rivet the little bars on the seat to make them fit better under the seat. Installed a little angle at the back of the seat and put a screw through the end of the frame for the seat to sit nicely. But will need more work to fit securely.

Cleaned up the electronics under the seats, shortened the wires, relocated the solenoid to under the seat as well. The antigravity battery doesnt seem to be holding too well and needs to be recharged manually if the bike sits for a couple of days. Wondering if its not being charged, gonna test that out. Any body else have any experience with these AntiGravity battery.

Also moved the rear fender up and under the seat without cutting it which was great.

This concludes all the major updates so far

Blinker lights changed
Handlebar swapped
Front Fender removed
Rear fender shortened
MotoLanna Seat install
Airbox/Battery replaced
Wiring cleaned up
New Speedo
New Tires - Went one size up to 100/90/18 (front) and 130/90/16 (Rear)

Next step will be to clean up the bike and look at a Paint Job - Although i dont mind the current paint scheme all that much either.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2014, 02:51:50 by asfi99 »

Offline sincerelyadam

« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2015, 18:51:53 »
Hey Asfi

I like this build. I'm planning on doing some work on my SR250 over the winter. Of course I was considering the airbox removal, but I'm not sure since I'll probably be riding the bike a lot in the spring so I'm curious about the longevity of it. How did you find the airbox/filter swap to work out after riding it for a while?

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2016, 07:47:34 »
Your tire and seat choice is sweet man.  Whats the status now?  You get it jetted right?

Offline asfi99

« Reply #17 on: Jun 14, 2016, 19:44:22 »
Summer Update: will make some more mods to the bike as time permits, Bike is an absolute blast to drive, i have left it gritty as i like the look much better and painting the tank was way too much $$$. Gets tons of compliments.

The battery not charging issue was easily resolved by replacing the voltage regulator rectifier.

AntiGravity battery is  working out great but i replaced for the bigger 8-Cell battery, starts every time with choke.

Upgrading the lights to LED has caused them to stop blinking since they use way less power, i just need to buy a relay that regulates the blinking.

I loved the sound of the bike after replacing the airbox with pod filter. Its only a 250 but it grunts like a much bigger bike.

I looked into SR500 as a summer project but they are far and few and are going for almost new prices.