Moto Guzzi Fuel injection conversion.

Scott84

Hi all!
I was curious if anyone had fuel injected an older Guzzi or? I realize that yes, a good set of carbs is just as good as throttle bodies. I'm looking into this just to see if I can. I also think it would be cool if I can get a good working system on an older bike. I'd like to just get the fuel side working first then work on spark.
LHHSOum.jpg

Any ways I've done some research and figured out most of the components id like to use.
ECU- Microsquirt, a small stand alone ecu that can control fuel and spark.
mnicrosquirtb_med.jpg

Throttle bodies- I ordered a set of throttle bodies for a 2004 sv650 which is a vtwin. Once I got them in my hand I found out that they really wouldn't work for my project. The throttle linkage would never be right and I'd have to make new cable pulls on both sides so I scraped the idea of using them. I'll keep them to steal parts off of though.
$_57.JPG

I did some more research and looked at a bunch of different throttle bodies and found a set off of a 99 bmw r1100 to be the ticket. They have separate cable pulls so I'll sync them like regular carbs, off of vacuum.
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

Fuel Pump- I've looked at a few options and it seams to me that the factory fuel pump off of a 2007ish Honda trx680 would work nicely. It's supposed to put out about 45 psi which is great and only draw 1.5 amps. But the size might be a problem because it is a canister pump that doesnt have to have a return line back to the tank from what I've read. I might have to look into other pumps that are smaller and inline. Since my 850T tank has 2 petcocks this really wouldn't be an issue as I can use one as a supply and one as a fuel return.
$_57.JPG

This project is still in its infancy so right not I'm just looking at making the throttle bodies work and planning out what major components I need to buy. I realize I'll probably have more in this than a good set of pumper carbs but hopefully it will run better in the end.
Cheers All!

Hey man nice T!! I've got a 1975 850T I've owned for a long time and have thought about fuel injection as well. Here's my bike, getting ready to upholster the solo seat.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
2e4e21196777ca2f87f0521584b6bad1.jpg

It's possible to do, but it's difficult. Running the ECU and injectors takes a bit of power, but the real current hog is the fuel pump. Vintage bikes don't usually have a lot of wattage to spare, so you might need to upgrade your charging system and/or reduce the power draw from other components (LED lights are a good start).

Back
Top Bottom