'71 cb175 take 3!

Re: '75 cb550 and '71 cb175 double build!

jag767 said:
Nope, went with mikuni vm20's. My keihins were in sad shape once I opened them up, really didn't have a choice.

Ok gotcha. Whole different ball game :)

1sttimer said:
Ok gotcha. Whole different ball game :)

Yup. I would have preferred to use the stock carbs, now theres more tuning to do!

Got a lot done today. All that's left is to check the static timing, add some fuel, then tune it. I should be getting my seat back next week from the upholstery shop, then I just have to pick out some mufflers and make my intake and tune once again.

So I came across this filter, thought it with a small extension should be very close in volume to the stock air box. Thoughts?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=ru-2450

So I did a little math and this is the result. Since I am using the stock side covers none of it is visible, and should hold enough volume to match the old air boxes. Nothing like a little silicone turbo hose, couplers, and a couple of k and n's to get the job done. Now on to the exhaust.

Attachments

• 20150115_154130_resized.jpg
    20150115_154130_resized.jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 266

Cool solution, like the way it can be covered/protected by the side panels.

Thanks guys. My wife was kind enough to point out it looks very phallic. Now my bikes better hung than I am. Lol

jag767 said:
Thanks guys. My wife was kind enough to point out it looks very phallic. Now my bikes better hung than I am. Lol

Oh dear, you've got competition ;)

Erskine said:
Oh dear, you've got competition ;)

Lol I'm doomed! So, I changed out the gasket, spring washer, and screws in the petcock valve, and of course, the left screw stripped on me. So, I decided to break out the jb weld and stuck a bunch in the hole, followed by the screw. It's currently clamped down and I will leave it for 24 hours. Jb weld is like my version of Frank's red hot, I use that shit on everything! I'm hoping there wasn't any leftover gas in the hole, since I'm sure that would effect the adhesion. I guess I'll find out soon!

http://instagram.com/p/yDIhRIAp9m/

Needs to be timed and synced but it works!!!

jag767 said:
http://instagram.com/p/yDIhRIAp9m/

Needs to be timed and synced but it works!!!

Great work man! What jets do you have in there, and what exhaust are you running?

That tach is tight.

1sttimer said:
Great work man! What jets do you have in there, and what exhaust are you running?

That tach is tight.

Doh,

Disregard. I forgot you got the mikunis on. :/

Haha yes mikuni vm20s with a 17.5 pilot and 135 main. Its definitely running a little rich but i didnt screw with much just yet. Yes i love that tach! The exhaust is open headers at the moment, but if i can get it to tune fine i see little reason to change it. I like loud!

Any more info on that tach?? Thing is sweet. Good looking bike too ;)

FFS fit some mufflers on that thing. Nice sound but it would be illegal on a race track and on the street it makes zero sense. Short pipes on those bikes really hurt power and torque at all revs. If all you want to do is to turn air and gasoline into sound energy, there are more effective ways to do it. If yyou want to make power fit mufflers and ride it on the street.

teazer said:
FFS fit some mufflers on that thing. Nice sound but it would be illegal on a race track and on the street it makes zero sense. Short pipes on those bikes really hurt power and torque at all revs. If all you want to do is to turn air and gasoline into sound energy, there are more effective ways to do it. If yyou want to make power fit mufflers and ride it on the street.

Unless what I've learned is wrong it's more the length of the pipe than the muffler no? My plan is to simply extend the pipe to the rear axle to make more back pressure for the motor. I have a bad habit of running straight pipes on everything I own hahaha. Think that's bad well you would have hated my twin turbo '05 gto!

CALfeRacer said:
Any more info on that tach?? Thing is sweet. Good looking bike too ;)

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso/shop/tachometer-motorcycle_gauges/dl-01r-tachometer-4/

thanks!

So...... two steps forward one back I guess. Long story short, stator is shot has to go out to rick tomorrow. Hoping the turn around is quick as I'm dying to have the project done.

jag767 said:
So...... two steps forward one back I guess. Long story short, stator is shot has to go out to rick tomorrow. Hoping the turn around is quick as I'm dying to have the project done.

It was about 7 days once they got it from experience. But the quality is great.

Back
Top Bottom