leaking fuel cap fix? and stale fuel smells's

sprocket2cog

Been Around the Block
so while cleaning the bike the other day i could still smell stale fuel coming from it. I had previously found fuel was running down the centre of the tank when the cap leaked and running under the seat.
So i had a look around and noticed that fuel was pooled in the black rubber strip that runs around the edge of the tank seam. I cut it back leaving the front edge so the cables dont wear near the steering stem, i figure its just a moisture trap and will help stop rust forming under the strip
I also fitted a thin leather washer to the fuel cap on top of the rubber one, it should help stop it leaking, but i wont know untill i fill the tank up and try the brakes real hard.

I am quite fed up with the leaking fuel cap. Fuel runs out and slowly destroys the stickers on my tank.

I have been looking for a replacement fuel cap, no luck so far.

yeah, i had considered getting a second cap and taking the rubber gasket off one and putting it on the other one as well. so its thicker, my fix was to put a leather one on as well, and it seems to haveslowed it down a lot. i didnt get any spill on a normal highspeed ride with a full tank last weekend, so it seems to have helped.

I also had the trouble with leaking fuel cap from the very first day I got the ace. Bending the cap helped for a time but recently the rubber was completely worn.
I replaced it with a genuine honda gasket (part 17632-176-771).
It fits perfectly and so far it's not leaking at all (and now I can fill the tank completly).
So it's worth the few dollars.

cool ! now we know a part number it makes it easier to get the bike up to speed :D
i might have to get one from honda , put its holding up well atm

I have just spent the $9 and and bought the Honda part that Allan mentioned. It is off a Z50 honda. It is the same diameter as the Ace. Made of thicker rubber.

cool that the honda ones fit.
i spent nothing and cut my own and it works a treat, has leaked since :D
and besides there is something cool about using an handmade leather gasket on the ACE, i think it fits with the old vibe of the bike.
lol

Alan Vega said:
I also had the trouble with leaking fuel cap from the very first day I got the ace. Bending the cap helped for a time but recently the rubber was completely worn.
I replaced it with a genuine honda gasket (part 17632-176-771).
It fits perfectly and so far it's not leaking at all (and now I can fill the tank completly).
So it's worth the few dollars.

Didn't work for me- Honda gasket is a lot thicker and can't install the cap with it on. I wonder if it worked for you because you previously bent the tangs? (I don't want to do that) I'll have to reconsider what to do here. :(

Mine leaked the first time I filled tank to top (ruined tank decals).
I now don't fill tank completely as it returns a good MPG,
Also worth saying that I use super unleaded petrol. It does cost a bit more but not really noticeable for the amount bought and the Ace runs better for it.

My Honda gasket first didn't fit. I used my sanding machine to make it a little bit thinner on both sides. Be careful not to sand for too long. The heat deforms the gasket a bit but it shrinks to normal size when it cools down. I never had leaking fuel again.

Ruben

I got it to fit by turning it inside out and cutting the 'teeth' or serrations off with a razor blade. Haven't ridden it since so I don't know if it doesn't leak. :)

Second post today (time on my hands), Well I was messing with other bikes I have and tried the fuel cap off my Honda CM200. Not only does it fit and has stopped the leak when I have nearly a full tank or braking hard, but it also looks like it's from correct period.

Attachments

• DSC_0475.JPG
    DSC_0475.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 234
Just ordered from Honda. A two week back order from Japan. $11.25

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom