Clutch Cable - Hanging on by a thread

2b

Been Around the Block
1,300km and it looks like this. Perhaps when I first got it and was adjusting the controls I was a bit rough, but I don't think so. Parked up until I sort it. Anyone else seen this issue?

I only stumbled across it because I removed the cable while prototyping fitment of new speedo, headlight and indicators and it was stripped back.

Need a few more bits to make the front work the way I want it. Will post in my build thread once done.

Attachments

• WP_20150118_011.jpg
    WP_20150118_011.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 351
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 356
Looks like you found it just in time!

At the least you could have been forced to ride home with an inoperative clutch. Not much fun in that.

My cable is fine after more than 12000k. I lubricate it fairly often which helps longevity.

Perhaps yours broke where it did because of an excess of solder applied to attach it to the nipple.

Crazy

I have a complete new cable already.

Do I need to transfer that grey collar/carrier around the nipple (see photo above) to the new cable, as that does not have one!

And if so how, not obvious how to remove it.

Does the new cable have a brass, steel or lead nipple? the sleeve is for friction and wear, it also sizes the nipple for fitment, brass and steel are sized to fit without. If you need to transfer it just snip one side and pop it off, when reapplying, put the slit side in first.

RD :eek:

Thanks, nipple on new cable is exactly the same size and metal as old one, so will go with the snipping method.

Cheers
Richard

Possibly, ur clutch adjustment at the handlebar was too tight? I just had this happen to a cable in the same place and same exact way. I switched bars and had the adjustment at the handlebar was too tight causing it to partially snap like urs.

Mine had splintered the same when I checked it recently.
I found I had one of these unused kits, must have had it a while because the price tag says £9.80. Anyway the contents include the small brass nipple from the engine end that is soldered to the new inner cable which was all I replaced.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Venhill-Universal-Clutch-Cable-Motorcycle-Kit-U01-1-100-great-product-/201320439097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2edfa21d39

8)

Just checked complete cable from OORacing is £15.49 all in, so not much of a saving!

If you want a quality cable, ebay can provide all of the parts to build your own... not only will you have good quality, you get some well earned gratification by making your own parts.

Back
Top Bottom